Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looks like a great bit of fun

Comment

Looks cool and sounds mega mate, congrats !

Just on the wheels, a mates Civic tore the centre out of the ones on his IP Civic - first time put it down to meh, second time happened in a bad spot. You've got no roof, maybe swap them for something else Sam, someone with a roadie will snap them up...
      The older i get, the better i was...

Comment

I had an awesome first weekend of driving this car.

I ran a very, very conservative 1:29.66 on the third session of Saturday, braking quite early and powering down quite late while I get used to it. I found there was very little pedal feel (brand new pads) and I was locking the fronts quite easily.

On the first session of Sunday I ran a sloppy 1:29.60 with dirt all over the track and a few moments. That said, pedal feel was now way better giving me more confidence to brake later. I had a cracking 2nd session, driving much better, so I was confused to see that I was half a second slower and fastest lap was the 2nd lap, first flying lap of 3 total laps. Tyres don’t seem to come on until end of 2nd lap and I always post the quickest time in the 3rd and final.

I went out for the third and final Sunday session for my brother to yell out that my right rear was completely flat. The one time I didn’t check pressures when coming in... So frantic rushing to get pressure into the tyre, meant I headed out last and needed to push on the formation lap. That tyre was in the back of my mind so drove sedately through the field to do a 1:30.5.

I easily had a 28 in me this weekend. With a lot more seat time in this car and fresh rubber there’s another 1.5-2 seconds on top of that. But bloody happy for the first hit out, won my class for the round again and for the year and brought the car home in one piece. Even driving it somewhat conservatively I was 5.6 seconds faster than the best I ever got out of the road car.
        Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

And a vid, the 1:29.60 being the last lap.

Last edited by Guido; 21-09-20, 11:34 AM.

My Italian 510

Comment

What a fucking good thing Sam. That’s a cracking time. Good to see the news purchase working out.

Comment

Car looks great, was watching the video and the 4th gear acceleration and 8000rpm changes and thinking it all looks quite a bit quicker than my mostly stock NB8A and then looked back on the first page and saw the 215hp . MX5's just handle so well.

Also, I'm a bit surprised they let you on track in an open car with an open face helmet and no goggles, it looks like sunnies? My old man was not allowed out in our NB in an open face even though we were running with the (soft top) roof up, just because it was a convertible! Has ended up buying a full face helmet to avoid that drama at other events.

Comment

Looks great mate.. Nice one..

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
                2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Originally posted by darkside View Post
                  What a fucking good thing Sam. That’s a cracking time. Good to see the news purchase working out.
                  Cheers mate, first time in it, so happy all things considered. There's more in it with seat time and some fresh rubber. I reckon the car has 26s in it, the driver just has to get it there. I swear I drove a lot better in the following sessions, a fast deflating right rear thwarted efforts though.

A couple of obstacles I'm facing while learning the car; the sprint format means only 2 flying laps, tyres don't seem to come on until the end of the first flying lap. This means you're forced to have one banker lap per session and it has to be the last lap. Who knows, tyres may be better after 3, 4 or more flying laps?? So I really need to do a general practice day or an event at MP where I get more laps in. This will give me more confidence.

The other one is the 5 speed. Soooo much taller geared than the 6 speed so it has massively changed all the shift points. It's in the back of my head that the 5 speed is a consumable at this power level, 3rd gear will go at some point. So while I probably should be using 2nd gear for both Gumtree and Siberia, I'm tying to limit the shifts up to 3rd. This may be less of an issue with more heat in the tyres, therefore being able to carry more speed and revs in 3rd. I'm trying to be very deliberate with my shifts from 2nd to 3rd to slow the change down. It doesn't feel natural and sometimes I fuck it up. So I'll buy a shifter extender, this should do the job of moving it closer to my hand while also slowing the shifts down naturally. And cross my fingers cause I really don't want to be replacing 5 speeds all the time.

My Italian 510

Comment

Originally posted by 12arx3 View Post
                    Car looks great, was watching the video and the 4th gear acceleration and 8000rpm changes and thinking it all looks quite a bit quicker than my mostly stock NB8A and then looked back on the first page and saw the 215hp . MX5's just handle so well.
                    Cheers. I think the factory tacho is a little off as I never hit 8,000. The green shift light is 7000 and the red shift light is 7,600 and where you're meant to change. Limiter is 8,000 and I am yet to hit. To be honest, I never look at the tacho, just changing by shift light/noise. By the end of the weekend I could distinguish a note change between first and second shift lights and basically change just as the second one is about to flick. The power is one thing, what you notice far more is the lack of weight, it's over 200kgs lighter than my road NB8B was. It's actually quite spritely in a straight line for an atmo 4, if you could get it off the line (very hard with no flywheel weight and a twin plate), I think it'd be well into the 13s.

Originally posted by 12arx3 View Post
                    Also, I'm a bit surprised they let you on track in an open car with an open face helmet and no goggles, it looks like sunnies? My old man was not allowed out in our NB in an open face even though we were running with the (soft top) roof up, just because it was a convertible! Has ended up buying a full face helmet to avoid that drama at other events.
                    Calm you titties. They probably didn't cotton on to it. I've competed in the rest of the series in my road one with a hard top. I haven't had the chance to try on a bunch of full face helmets yet, that's definitely the next purchase. Given how comfortable my Velo is, I'll probably just got with a full face version of that.

My Italian 510

Comment

Sorry for the post spam, can't figure out how to multi quote with this new forum software.

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post
                      Looks great mate.. Nice one..
                      Thanks mate. It's hardened my resolve that turbos do not suit MX5s that's sole purpose is as a track/enjoyable car. Either angry atmo or rotrex. If I were building not buying, I reckon rotrex, this would be horrible on the road.

My Italian 510

Comment

I had my second run in this car on the weekend at the Qld State Super Sprint Championships. Track conditions were fucking hot. I've never run there this time of year, wow the track goes off!! I ended up with 3rd in class which I’m pretty happy about. First went to a carbon bodied clubman with aero, stroked Busa motor and a sequential, 2nd to a clubman with lots of aero. Bit hard to compete with that! There were 2 other cars in my class, each with 2 drivers, a 2f mx5 just like mine and an mx5 with a similar motor and aero. Despite the heat, queuing up in 34' heat fully suited up in an open car was hell, I had shitloads of fun.

Here's a vid of my 1st and quickest run on the K circuit for the weekend. 1st flying lap 1:29.8, 2nd lap 1:29.7. This was ~9:30 in the morning on Saturday. As the day heated up the track got more and more slippery and times fell off. This was also the case on Sunday with the E circuit, my fastest time was the first run of the day. Bit of a shame I couldn't better my times, but track conditions just weren't there. On the plus side I'm feeling quite comfortable in the car now.

My Italian 510

Comment

I spent Monday removing the rest of the flame stickers to get it ready for its new wrap. The stickers on the sills took 5 times longer than the rest of the much larger ones. Anyways, got it all nude and ready. This is the good side, the other side quite a bit of clear coat came off.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	destickered MX5.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	7199817

My Italian 510

Comment

Can you run this bodykit, please

http://www.jetstream.co.jp/jet/na-road/na22c/na22c.html

maybe not in bright blue, but since you are there with the green and yellow. do it in that old mazda colours
                            CISCOKIDS
                            The Gentlemen's Club
                            Midnight Rocker

Comment

Originally posted by ROBAPHENT View Post
                              Can you run this bodykit, please

http://www.jetstream.co.jp/jet/na-road/na22c/na22c.html

maybe not in bright blue, but since you are there with the green and yellow. do it in that old mazda colours
                              That looks pretty cool! Unfortunately so far out of production sports rules there’s no chance.

My Italian 510

Comment

The rear wing is ok for prod sports.....

Comment

Working...
                                X