X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, nice!

Following. Very cool.

Comment

IIRC didnt Bill drive this in a lead-up / accreditation to run over in Germany at the 24 hour?

Comment

Originally posted by Rasta_papa View Post
        IIRC didnt Bill drive this in a lead-up / accreditation to run over in Germany at the 24 hour?
        Sort of. The Bathurst drive was after the 24 hour in the Corolla. My understanding is that lessons learnt in the Celica program were implemented for the Corolla 24 hour program. They share the same base engine, 2ZZ-GE, and the Corolla engine is what they would have liked to do with the Celica engines if the regs allowed that level of modification.

This also explains why some of the spares I have are for a Corolla.

Click image for larger version

Name:	images (1).jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	7224093 This was the 24 hour car.

Comment

FWIW here's the car in qualifying.

I got a little faster with each of those laps, eventually able to hold full throttle from BP Cutting to Skyline. Bates was about three seconds faster than me - no surprise there! - and Neil Trama said it was mostly because of the lines I was taking, as I was holding full throttle longer than Bates was. Anyway the car was very nice to drive, the only problems were that the ABS computer shit itself after a few hours but it mostly wasn't a problem as we were trying to limit the braking to only 0.6 G's to make sure the brake pads went the full distance. I think the factory water temp gauge also died but it wasn't a problem as the sensor the Motec was using was still good ... there might have been a temp readout on a gauge somewhere else in the car, I can remember watching it but not where or what it was. The ABS failing did cause a big problem closer to the end of the race as when one of the other two drivers was coming into Skyline he was going to be overtaken by one of the faster cars and under brakes it got out of shape, then bogged in the sand pit just after the crest. That cost us a lot of time & places before getting dragged out (We were able to help the driver point the front wheels the right way when getting pulled out, 'cause we had a telly with the live broadcast running on it and the 31 car was on it for a few minutes - over the radio it was "steer a bit more left mate!", etc.
          Neal Bates & crew had tweaked the suspension and it was very neutral and pleasant to drive. Neil T's engine was beautifully smooth all the way through the revs range.

Comment

Good luck at the 6 hour mate! Great little race car you got there.

Comment

Originally posted by Billzilla View Post
              I think the factory water temp gauge also died but it wasn't a problem as the sensor the Motec was using was still good ... there might have been a temp readout on a gauge somewhere else in the car, I can remember watching it but not where or what it was.
              I assume it was the LCD panel on the top of the dash - looks like a little Motec display. Sadly that's not there anymore, but the same two gauges below it are. (Fuel & oil pressure). The blue thing below the kill switch isn't there either, I assume that was timing widget. I might have a little hunt for one of those Motec screens.

The ABS failing did cause a big problem closer to the end of the race as when one of the other two drivers was coming into Skyline he was going to be overtaken by one of the faster cars and under brakes it got out of shape, then bogged in the sand pit just after the crest.
              Is there any specific symptoms of the ABS failing in these jiggers?

Car comes back from the panel beaters today so should look a lot prettier. I spent yesterday there on the sandpaper, so if it doesn't, I've only got myself to blame. The front rail was out 20mm, which explains why the front end fits were horrendous.

Name:	2009 135498072_256954562439987_8784719215128064409_n.png
Views:	250
Size:	2.61 MB
ID:	7225926
              This is from the 2009 event, possibly the cause of the rail being out. Although old race cars tend to be like The Beatles, quite a few hits..

Comment

Motec MDD I think.
                Hard to find these days - CDL3 is a great low budget alternative.

Name:	572558.jpg?v=2.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	7225964

Comment

Originally posted by Komdotkom View Post
                  Motec MDD I think.
                  Hard to find these days - CDL3 is a great low budget alternative.
                  I reckon you're right. Would be neat to have, but for $2k for a CDL3.. I probably should be spending that (non existent) money elsewhere. I've got lap timing sorted with a VBox, so this would be just engine data.

Now watch me spend hours trawling the internet for a 2nd hand unit..

Comment

Originally posted by 36
                    Proper pitstops (gotta give Paddington something to do!), strategy and all that good stuff. Daunting and exciting at the same time.
                    Jesus Christ we are in the shit...
                    Originally posted by Stix Z
                    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
                    Originally posted by Jim
                    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by 36 View Post
                      Is there any specific symptoms of the ABS failing in these jiggers?
                      Yep, the ABS light comes on. As to why, I don't know sorry. Osbourne must have know it was an ongoing problem because when we were driving around town he spotted the same model Celica and stopped to ask if he could borrow the ABS module for the weekend. I think the 13 car didn't have the same failure on that weekend, FWIW.

I had a dig around and found the photos from that event, here's all the ones I have of the interior, and a truck with an afterburning jet engine 'cause that's always cool. If you want all the photos you're quite welcome, just send me another message on Facepalm with an address, etc.

Name:	IMG_1725.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	3.67 MB
ID:	7226836

Attached Files

Comment

Name:	20210213_194318box.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	767.0 KB
ID:	7226848
                        I guess that explains the gearbox oil leak. Not everything on the car has been perfectly engineered in the past..

Name:	20200715_195304.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	2.71 MB
ID:	7226849
                        Dry break goodness. There is a couple of different sizes so had to get the measuring stick out. These are a bit pricey, so a car with a fuel system built in was a nice win. I love the idea of a complete ground up build, but the reality is I don’t have time or shed space to do it at the moment. The other part of the equation, the fuel rig is also pretty exxy, given the entry numbers, the 6 hour tends to use up most of the ones in Australia.

Name:	20200719_210156.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	3.01 MB
ID:	7226851
                        A few spare pads! Also in the box was a set of brand new Endless Lotus Elise/Exige pads – if anyone has one and needs a set of serious race pads with a PF discount let me know. I enjoy cataloguing spares - one of those good oddly satisfying jobs.

Name:	20210117_200548.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	4.47 MB
ID:	7226852
                        New bumper - surprisingly affordable OE from Toyota - $230. The previous one had a 2”x3” hole for the tow hook - no idea what was going on with that but the aerodynamicist in me said that had to go. The headlights polished up like new with some AutoSol and a cloth polishing attachment on the drill. I’ve read that you need to seal the headlights else the UV fades them, will see how that goes. I figure it’s not going to spend tonnes of time outside compared to a road car so she will be fine.

Early entry list is out - 51 cars so far, with another dozen who have confirmed intention to enter. Going to be Darryl Eastlake huuuuge!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yep, the ABS light comes on. As to why, I don't know sorry. Osbourne must have know it was an ongoing problem because when we were driving around town he spotted the same model Celica and stopped to ask if he could borrow the ABS module for the weekend. I think the 13 car didn't have the same failure on that weekend, FWIW.

I had a dig around and found the photos from that event, here's all the ones I have of the interior, and a truck with an afterburning jet engine 'cause that's always cool. If you want all the photos you're quite welcome, just send me another message on Facepalm with an address, etc.
                          Thanks Bill! Shall do.

There was 3 ABS modules that came in the spares with the car.. Seems to be a thing!

Comment

I nearly forgot - Is there a VIN code stamped into the firewall? I seem to remember there wasn't, so they could never be registered and I think I remember hearing that when their life in Toyota racing was over they'd be crushed.

Comment

I nearly forgot - Is there a VIN code stamped into the firewall? I seem to remember there wasn't, so they could never be registered and I think I remember hearing that when their life in Toyota racing was over they'd be crushed.
                              There is a VIN, so maybe that was Colin's car? That car was built first and ran at Clipsal 2001, this one wasn't logbooked until a few months later. The photo in the back of the first logbook shows a rego plate TTE-216. I'd wonder, based on it being a late 99 build, whether it was an ex Toyota company car that was turned into a race car after a year or so worth of use.

Name:	20210208_174028.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	642.8 KB
ID:	7226865

Comment

Do we, and by we, I mean you, devcon up that crack?
                                Originally posted by Stix Z
                                i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
                                Originally posted by Jim
                                Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Comment

Working...
                                X