Toyota Celica Endurance Race Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paddington View Post
    Do we, and by we, I mean you, devcon up that crack?
    Yep. There is also another cunning plan underway.

Because reasons, the LSD in the car doesn't have a speedo drive. This is a slightly annoying because it means the pit lane speed limiter doesn't work. No biggie, but the diff in the car also doesn't work all that well.

In the spares with the car was a brand new LSD center - which will work with a speedo drive.

So, putting all that together, plus the fact that the gearbox in the car - whilst working - is a little bit of an unknown as to condition, the plan is to put the new LSD into the spare gearbox (also condition unknown, and fix anything wrong with that whilst we are at it) and put that in the car.

So yes. I'll devcon the crack. I'll leave the gearbox change to you.

Comment

Originally posted by 36 View Post
      So yes. I'll devcon the crack. I'll leave the gearbox change to you.

I better get a racing jacket with no dog hair this year in exchange for gearbox oil in the eye...

Possibly going to wreckers this weekend if you still need an under tray. We also have my 3D printer for things.
      Originally posted by Stix Z
      i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
      Originally posted by Jim
      Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddington View Post

I better get a racing jacket with no dog hair this year in exchange for gearbox oil in the eye...

Possibly going to wreckers this weekend if you still need an under tray. We also have my 3D printer for things.
        Undertrays for these things seem to be unobtanium, if you see one yes please! That would be ace.

Comment

Billzilla can probably confirm, but I think that Logbook photo showing Robson would be Anthony Robson from Race & Rally here in Sydney many moons ago?
          Nathan

Speed Shots Photography
          Official Photographer 2021 | Shannons Motorsport Australia Championships | Porsche Michelin Sprint Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Challenge Bathurst | MRF Tyres Australian Production Car Series

Comment

Originally posted by Nafe View Post
            Billzilla can probably confirm, but I think that Logbook photo showing Robson would be Anthony Robson from Race & Rally here in Sydney many moons ago?
            It is an Anthony Robson - he was the first driver of the car. No idea if it is the guy from Race & Rally though.

Comment

Yep that's Anthony from rack and ruin.

Comment

I reckon you're right. Would be neat to have, but for $2k for a CDL3.. I probably should be spending that (non existent) money elsewhere. I've got lap timing sorted with a VBox, so this would be just engine data.

Now watch me spend hours trawling the internet for a 2nd hand unit..
                For $2k you may as well use a RaceCapture and tablet. Pretty sure Allan had one for sale recently on the Race Cars For Sale page on Facebook.

Also the ABS ECU failure thing was a common one with some of the early Celica ABS gear when rallying. The PCB woudl often crack and then short out on the metal casing. Later models had a plastic casing rather than a metal one and were a drop in replacement. I remember seeing a stack of them at Bates' shop back in the day, so evidently a common point of failure.
                Last edited by takai; 16-02-21, 09:48 PM.
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget
                I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

You're legitemately living the achievable race car dream. Love the thread so far, given me a bit of inspiration and another avenue to look into for future Motorsport ventures. What do you think the ballpark $ figure is by the time you get in the starting grid at Bathurst? Car, prep, CAMS licences, gear, entry etc.....
                  im going to take a punt at around the 30-40k mark?

any future plans for things like hill climbs & Targa?

Comment

Originally posted by 138ci View Post
                    You're legitemately living the achievable race car dream. Love the thread so far, given me a bit of inspiration and another avenue to look into for future Motorsport ventures. What do you think the ballpark $ figure is by the time you get in the starting grid at Bathurst? Car, prep, CAMS licences, gear, entry etc.....
                    im going to take a punt at around the 30-40k mark?

any future plans for things like hill climbs & Targa?
                    I guess if you had to start from scratch it's probably that kind of figure. In our case, all 3 drivers are licenced, have gear and the like. Stuff we don't have is being borrowed - eg, fireproof suits for refueling.

Some basic unavoidable items - Entry is $6k, Accommodation $2k, Tyres $3k, Brakes $1.5k. That's minimum chips, for a bigger car you would double the brake and tyre figures. From there, it's piece of string stuff. We are doing it on what I expect will be the smallest budget on the grid. But, if someone came along with money I could happily spend it. (Shock rebuild, engine freshening, pit crew uniforms..) One thing that was an attraction about the Celica was relatively low running costs - eg, tyres are $290 each, compared to $546 for the guys running on some of the 18's.

If you need a car, there is the odd ready to go thing that pops up for $10k (Echo/Starlet/Yaris kind of thing). Similarly a friend did the event in an Excel a few years ago. A midfield WRX/Commodore type thing is more like $30k. 3E Production Cars is the class. The refuelling setup is the main point of difference for cars to run in this event, so, if you had an existing race car, allow a few $k to fit that (and whatever you needed to do to convert it to 3E regs (basically production standard) and away you go.

It's not the greatest environment for sponsorship at the moment which is challenging. We've got some ace exposure sorted for the event - I've got an article dedicated on the team in a national car magazine - but still finding it challenging. (Partly also because of the timing - as per earlier comments about this being brought forward - ideally we would have been approaching people a lot further out.)

Future plans? Haven't thought past this event. Targa I couldn't do - I can't understand how people can drive near the limit approaching a corner for the first time with a bunch of trees on the side of the road. Braver than me!

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post

For $2k you may as well use a RaceCapture and tablet. Pretty sure Allan had one for sale recently on the Race Cars For Sale page on Facebook.

Also the ABS ECU failure thing was a common one with some of the early Celica ABS gear when rallying. The PCB woudl often crack and then short out on the metal casing. Later models had a plastic casing rather than a metal one and were a drop in replacement. I remember seeing a stack of them at Bates' shop back in the day, so evidently a common point of failure.
                      That's a good option too, thanks.

ABS modules - no less than 4 of them came in the spares with the car.. I might need to come up with a quick changeover strategy!

Comment

Some basic unavoidable items - Entry is $6k,
                        I had no idea entry would be that spendy. I knew it wouldnt be in the hundreds, but $6k!!! Woah...with over 50 cars entered, thats $300k of entry fees alone. (I acknowledge that running events like this isnt cheap)

Is it different prices for different categories, or a one size fits all approach?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post

I had no idea entry would be that spendy. I knew it wouldnt be in the hundreds, but $6k!!! Woah...with over 50 cars entered, thats $300k of entry fees alone. (I acknowledge that running events like this isnt cheap)

Is it different prices for different categories, or a one size fits all approach?
                          In the race, one price for everyone. It's a big chunk of coin but you do get a lot of track time. For instance, it's cheaper $ per minute than Challenge Bathurst is - which ranges from $1,740-$3,960 entry fee.

Support categories are a lot cheaper, albeit with a lot less lap time. Typically $1-2k for a grid of Historics/Excels based on what I've seen.

Bathurst is a bit of a special animal. There is not many opportunities to run at Bathurst as a club racer - if your category gets on the grid at a meeting, the grid is often allocated a number of places per state, of which current top few in the championship + long term club servants etc get first priority. Any event with TV coverage is expensive too.

Comment

Thanks for that info, and that makes a lot of sense now.

All the best for the event...it must be very exciting to know you will be going out on that track in the near future.

Do you know if the event is streamed online? I would be good to watch it but I know that it wouldnt be shown on tv in NZ, so I will need to find alternate viewing options

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
                              Thanks for that info, and that makes a lot of sense now.

All the best for the event...it must be very exciting to know you will be going out on that track in the near future.

Do you know if the event is streamed online? I would be good to watch it but I know that it wouldnt be shown on tv in NZ, so I will need to find alternate viewing options
                              Cheers!

Yep, it will be streamed on both motorsport.tv (and 7plus if you can stream Au stuff from NZ), probably youtube as well. It's also on Sky TV NZ if you have a subscription to that.

Comment

That's a good option too, thanks.

ABS modules - no less than 4 of them came in the spares with the car.. I might need to come up with a quick changeover strategy!
                                Which ones do you have? From memory the plastic cased ones were the ones with fewer failures:

Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600-2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	7227670
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	7227671
                                Chris
                                ------
                                The new nugget
                                I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Working...
                                X