Toyota Celica Endurance Race Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by takai View Post

Which ones do you have? From memory the plastic cased ones were the ones with fewer failures:

Plastic ones - I haven't sussed out the part numbering system yet - I've got spares of 89540-20450 and 89540-20452 (which is what is fitted in the car). Not sure if one supercedes the other or there is some slight variation between them.

Comment

Originally posted by 36 View Post

Plastic ones - I haven't sussed out the part numbering system yet - I've got spares of 89540-20450 and 89540-20452 (which is what is fitted in the car). Not sure if one supercedes the other or there is some slight variation between them.
      Oh interesting. Sounds like the plastic ones had the same issue too. Odd. Can you try a later model ABS unit, say ZZE Corolla?
      Chris
      ------
      The new nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Oh interesting. Sounds like the plastic ones had the same issue too. Odd. Can you try a later model ABS unit, say ZZE Corolla?
        Interesting idea. Possibly - but I'd be pretty nervous that there would be a calibration issue - if the Corolla ran different sized pistons in the calipers then things might get a bit funky. I'll stick with what it is running and swap out if the light appears. Testing so far has been fine.

Comment

Is it heat issues causing those failures? DCI's 'sheethot' stuff (they're down in Melbourne) is almost miraculously good for heat shields FWIW.

Comment

Just had a squiz, Corolla seems to have an integrated ABS unit into the pump/valve body. So thats going to be a no go. 20450 and 20452 are both listed as compatible with the Celica and an upgrade from the alloy body one. Doesn't seem to be any strong difference between the two on paper. Perhaps a slight bias shift for different markets or weight distribution on trim levels?

Part checker lists 4 compatible models for the ZZT Celicas
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-17 at 2.00.17 pm.png
Views:	316
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	7227698
            Last edited by takai; 17-02-21, 01:00 PM.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget
            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Just had a squiz, Corolla seems to have an integrated ABS unit into the pump/valve body. So thats going to be a no go. 20450 and 20452 are both listed as compatible with the Celica and an upgrade from the alloy body one. Doesn't seem to be any strong difference between the two on paper. Perhaps a slight bias shift for different markets or weight distribution on trim levels?

Part checker lists 4 compatible models for the ZZT Celicas
              Cheers for the research! I've also just discovered that some markets got drums on the rear - I'd take a punt that maybe the 20470 suited drums - on the logic that it's the most different part number. (I have 20450/2 and Australia only had discs, I'd assume 20451 is a derivative of 20450).

Originally posted by andy_wk View Post
              Is it heat issues causing those failures? DCI's 'sheethot' stuff (they're down in Melbourne) is almost miraculously good for heat shields FWIW.
              Wouldn't think so - these are mounted in the passengers footwell so I'd doubt get much more than 40 or 50 degrees.

Comment

Just had a chat with a mate at Toyota in Japan, and the 20470 is for the Superstrut (スーパーストラット パッケージ is phonetically Sūpāsutoratto pakkēji). Superstruts have a weird progression under dive, so i can only presume that its differently programmed to take that into acount: https://global.toyota/en/detail/7829158
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget

Comment

Just had a chat with a mate at Toyota in Japan, and the 20470 is for the Superstrut (スーパーストラット パッケージ is phonetically Sūpāsutoratto pakkēji). Superstruts have a weird progression under dive, so i can only presume that its differently programmed to take that into acount: https://global.toyota/en/detail/7829158
                  Brilliant! Thanks muchly. Interesting system - I hadn't seen that before. I imagine it would be interesting to drive..

Comment

Originally posted by 36 View Post

Brilliant! Thanks muchly. Interesting system - I hadn't seen that before. I imagine it would be interesting to drive..
                    Easy, no problems. Hope to see the car in the flesh at some point.

Superstrut stuff is ok to drive, kind of like a hybrid double A arm and mac strut setup, feels a bit weird at first but after a while you get used to the anti dive properties.
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The new nugget

Comment

Easy, no problems. Hope to see the car in the flesh at some point.
                      That can be arranged!

Found some interesting history on the engines in it.

Neil Trama sent me the build sheets from the engine in the car and the spare - the one in the car is only 2 meetings old- which aligns with the information I got from the previous owner.

The spare engine that came with the car is the engine from the 2003 Bathurst 24 hour. In the race it did 434 laps (2,634km!) finishing 21st outright. Total oil usage for 24 hours racing was 350ml. Not bad! It was pulled apart for inspection post 24 hour and rebuilt as a spare.

The engines were hand grenades initially until they got Neil involved. Oil pumps are a known weak spot in these things. Over revving does bad things, so need to be careful on the downshifts. Most of my racing has been done with things with fragile gearboxes so shouldn't be too big a deal. For a production engine, they are pretty ace. Yamaha designed the cylinder heads on them with variable inlet and exhaust timing.

Grainy video of the Celicas leading at a Safety car restart in the 24 hour. Whilst I love it as a car, I really hate what the Monaro did with that event. A 24 hour would be an amazing event to participate in, if they ran another I'd be there in a heart beat in some form.

Comment

Neil is a fucking guru with those motors....and a really top bloke too!
                        Nathan

Speed Shots Photography
                        Official Photographer 2021 | Shannons Motorsport Australia Championships | Porsche Michelin Sprint Challenge | Hi-Tec Oils Bathurst 6 Hour | Challenge Bathurst | MRF Tyres Australian Production Car Series

Comment

So cool to see you chasing the dream. I've been lucky enough to do a few one hour Prodsports enduros at Bathurst, but the 6hr is one of the very few things left on my racing bucket list in Australia. Love the history that goes with the car as well, I always find that a very interesting part of these old race cars.

I went to the 2002 24 hour event, and it is the best race meeting I've ever attended to date.

Good luck with it all. Keep us posted.
                          2018 Golf R Wolfsburg Edition Wagon
                          2016 Golf GTi Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Nafe View Post
                            Neil is a fucking guru with those motors....and a really top bloke too!
                            Yep - has been very helpful so far! Generally people have been which has been ace - seems a lot of good memories associated with the car. His attitude was basically "you didn't buy the engine from me, but I built it, so you're now my customer" kind of thing. He has provided build sheets and plenty of advice.

Originally posted by TCR View Post
                            So cool to see you chasing the dream. I've been lucky enough to do a few one hour Prodsports enduros at Bathurst, but the 6hr is one of the very few things left on my racing bucket list in Australia. Love the history that goes with the car as well, I always find that a very interesting part of these old race cars.

I went to the 2002 24 hour event, and it is the best race meeting I've ever attended to date.

Good luck with it all. Keep us posted.
                            Cheers! A Prodsport enduro would have been a lot of fun.

I regret not going to the 24 hour events. I've been to the 12 hour as both an official and spectator and loved it both times. Although getting up at ~3am (for the officials briefing at 4am or so) wasn't a lot of fun! Bloody magic though, I was stationed at Forrest Elbow watching race cars in the dark. Brilliant.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210227_205933.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	7231302
                              More testing - this time at Winton which turned on the weather. The car ran beautifully apart from a miss towards the end of the day.

I started pulling plugs and going down that path, but I should have saved myself some time and just plugged the laptop into the Motec straight away. Number 1 injector stuck open. Lesson learnt for next time! It even logs when the miss started. Impressive bit of gear.

Unfortunately I hadn't packed spare injectors for the test, so that was the end of the day. At least it was an easy fix. Onwards and upwards!
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by 36; 27-02-21, 08:23 PM.

Comment

i missed this thread, a neil engine is high on my want list when i go to a 2zz

Comment

Working...
                                X