Toyota Celica Endurance Race Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by audineil View Post
    I don't get on PF very often and just saw this.
    Just want to say it was a pleasure working with you all this year.
    Here's hoping you will do the B6H again in 2022.
    Neil
    Thanks Neil! LIkewise - your advice was invaluable.

Fair to say without your assistance we wouldn't have made it to the start, I don't know how we could have diagnosed that sensor issue without you.

It's been a fantastic journey.

The boss has given approval to have another go at the event next year (on the proviso that I drive first!) so hopefully we can repair the car and be on the grid.

Comment

Originally posted by 36 View Post
      After quietly ticking off lots of little jobs, I got the car on the track for a shakedown late last year at Sandown. (Lockdown in Victoria made things a little challenging!) I was expecting something major to be wrong with it, but thankfully, apart from some oil leaks (I grew up with British motor cars, so this kind of felt homely) it behaved quite nicely. Without pushing too hard I was able to get it close to as quick as it has gone at Sandown, so that was a nice win. 3 hours sleep the night before (nervous much?) had meant that 8 tenths was about as hard as I was willing to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	596
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	7223366
      Ace photo from PF’s Nafe. Don’t look too closely at the panel gaps or bodywork..

Next up is some more testing to get the other drivers familiar with it and a myraid of little jobs and things to organise. They are both experienced racers, but neither have driven a Celica before. Thankfully both have spent time in front wheel drive race cars so that aspect isn’t foreign. The timeline is a bit compressed - this was to be a 2022 or 2023 project as we were expecting a baby early this year. Unfortunately, we lost bubba which opened up the opportunity to do this year’s event. (PSA: These things happen, don’t be afraid to talk about them with your friends when they do. As I talked to more and more people it was amazing how many people have had similar experiences.)

Part of the charm of the event is the scale of it. It's basically what the Bathurst 1000 used to be, less 90 minutes or so. Long distance class racing where the objective is to get to the finish. Proper pitstops (gotta give Paddington something to do!), strategy and all that good stuff. Daunting and exciting at the same time.
      We too, had a number of miscarriages many years ago.
      I never met a horsepower I didn't like.

Comment

Originally posted by gxxr View Post
        There's a 4hr race at Eastern Creek in a month - I'm assuming a celica can also run 2F. Only problem is, not cheap, but maybe less expensive than hitting walls up there with everyone having near zero familiarity with the car and nothing much in seat time last year. Can't imagine anything particularly special on Toyos to be gleaned, but Ric Shaw prepped these for Osbourne back when, in exchange for drives.
        Rick Shaw?
        Great guy and all, but no.
        Neil

Comment

Can vouch for, it's a cracker.

Plan ahead - he told me he has 18 engines queued up waiting for him to build. Apparently he built one for Adrian Newey - fair tick of approval there!
          I didn't build one for Adrian, he contacted me for advice.

Comment

Awesome shots thanks Nafe! Some serious talent with the camera there.
            True.
            Nathan is a Legend with the camera.
            Neil

Comment

Some reflections after a few days home.

Whilst the race itself turned to the proverbial, it was a bloody brilliant weekend. The days were long, but, what a place, what an experience. Knowing what we know now, it would be a much easier gig the 2nd time around. Assuming the car is fixable, and money/family situation allows, the intention is to have another go at the event.

Refuelling was a bit of a headache - I had assumed pre event that we would just use the over head refueling rigs for all the fueling between sessions etc, however a directive just before the event said that the rigs were to only be used for practice 2 and the race. So we found ourselves siphoning fuel before eventually borrowing a bottle with a dry break filler connector from another team. Definitely something to improve for next time. Churns with dry break fittings are pretty expensive, I'm going to have to hunt around and see what I can source.

It's an interesting piece of logic driving the refueling directive. The logic is basically that the worst case scenario is a fuel rig spill in the pits, so the strategy was to minimise the use of the rigs and have them in pit lane when in use. The counter aspect is it means a lot more filling cars with bottles/siphons etc. So, the risk of spill is more likely but less severe.

It was notable the number of teams with fuel spills - we had put a lot of work into our rig, pretty much completely rebuilding the "ready to use" rig we hired - so it was pleasing that we didn't have any issues there.

Name:	DSC08143.JPG
Views:	412
Size:	3.65 MB
ID:	7243952
              This was pretty cool - heading out on the track for the first time. Combination of pride and shitting myself to be honest. To the left is the Osborne Motorsport guys who ran this car back in the day. They are now running a pair of Renault Meganes. They had a mixed weekend - the lead car suffered from ABS issues and didn't start the race, the 2nd car fared significantly better and won class C. In our block of garages there was 8 cars, of which only 2 made it to the finish.

Name:	Ring.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	776.8 KB
ID:	7243953
              Some historic spare parts!

Name:	track.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	7243954
              Don't do a track walk, you just scare yourself with how steep it is. It's a 2 bottle of water job on a warm day - hard yakka. Shout out to the guys on conrod straight who had a pretty amazing viewing setup there - they took pity on us and gave us some extra water.

(Make sure you do a track walk, it's bloody awesome!)
              I have not had much success getting drivers to do a Bathurst or Spa track walk and absolutely no success at the Nurburgring.
              Neil

Comment

Originally posted by audineil View Post

I have not had much success getting drivers to do a Bathurst or Spa track walk and absolutely no success at the Nurburgring.
                Neil
                I love track walks. So much you learn, and some interesting things to see. Admittedly after 6km I was about done..

I had no idea you could still find cigarette advertising on the armco at Bathurst!

Name:	Capture2.PNG
Views:	127
Size:	743.8 KB
ID:	7252076

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	119
Size:	495.1 KB
ID:	7252077
                Images shamelessly stolen from Paddington

Comment

wow, nothing like endurance, hats off to you and hopefully you will get back there with all the knowledge you have from this crack, will be watching the updates

Comment

Cant beat a Camel

They were the firs pack of shit sticks I ever bought as an 8 year old in 1983...and what a deal at "only" $1.33 for a packet!!!

Comment

Originally posted by oldracer View Post
                      wow, nothing like endurance, hats off to you and hopefully you will get back there with all the knowledge you have from this crack, will be watching the updates
                      Thanks!

Well done on Targa too - awesome achievement. I have a huge soft spot for VN Group A's - a really nicely proportioned car.

Comment

Thanks!

Well done on Targa too - awesome achievement. I have a huge soft spot for VN Group A's - a really nicely proportioned car.
                        thanks for that, we wouldn't fit in anything smaller that's for sure

Comment

Working...
                        X