MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmm quick look on eBay and they're all around the $200 mark for that model. Much smaller ones are available for about half that though?
    Norbie!

Comment

Oh wow, they have jumped up in price. This was the item i bought and used a 20% off coupon to bring it down to $94ish
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aeroflow...0/263004460177
      Chris
      ------
      The new nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

I somehow managed to spend nearly $2k today on a pile of small fuel system bits and pieces. Well, that and a Bosch DBW throttle. Scary how fast it all adds up!

The spreadsheet ticked over the $30k mark when I entered that lot in. I'm still miles away from driving this thing! Talk about overcapitalising on a shitbox.
        Norbie!

Comment

Pffft, $30k, amateur......

Wait til Mr Purple chimes in......

And I'm almost as bad.......

I gave up counting at about $80k and I'm sure I'm up around $120k now.......

And now I feel sad.... Your car is basically a runner compared to mine.....

Comment

Haha. Just don’t add it up.
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget
            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Really never understood the need for speedflow type fittings in 90% of setups - call me a tight arse but I dont see the point lol..............

Comment

Yeah there's always someone who spent more! Although to be fair this is only the most recent iteration of my Supra build, I didn't keep track of previous iterations but many $$$ were spent on the original 2JZ installation and subsequent upgrades. Back then I thought I was being smart not keeping track of my expenses, but now I really want to know!

Anyway I didn't get a whole lot done over the weekend, started properly sorting out the hydraulic line for the clutch (you don't even want to know what I'd been doing previously), but mostly planning out what I'm going to do with the fuel system build once all the parts I've ordered show up.

Oh and I decorated the shed:

I guess that means I should roll the RA23 into the middle bay! It hasn't run for almost 10 years but I'm sure it just needs a battery and some fresh fuel...
                Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by PXL265 View Post
                  Pffft, $30k, amateur......

Wait til Mr Purple chimes in......

And I'm almost as bad.......

I gave up counting at about $80k and I'm sure I'm up around $120k now.......

And now I feel sad.... Your car is basically a runner compared to mine.....
                  $70 car, $30k paint and panel, $8k engine and trans, $4k other trans, $10k sundry parts, $1500 chrome, $5k wiring, $15k conversion. Ish.

The Supra is a bargain! Probably because Norbie has skill.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
                    The Supra is a bargain! Probably because Norbie has skill.
                    Norbie is a tightarse you mean!

More parts have arrived during the week so I'm chipping away at the fuel system. First the M14x1.5 tube nut on the front end of the fuel line needs to be converted to -6AN, so I went looking for an adapter thinking they'd be easy to find but no, this was the only one which came close to matching what I need:

I thought I was good to go but it turns out the female end of the adapter was slightly too long, so with the tube nut wound all the way in it wasn't seated properly. I decided to ask Facebook and got the expected 99% derp responses, but there was a few useful suggestions in there including one guy who told me to man up and just cut the thing with an angle grinder. So I did! Luckily there was about 2-3mm on the end before the thread started so I just lopped that off:

It looks like that was just enough to do the trick:

Of course I won't know until I actually start pushing fuel through there, but this line is going to be used as a return so I'm feeling pretty confident this will be OK.

Things didn't go so well at the other end of the fuel system. The fuel tank outlet has a M14x1.5 fitting as well, but annoyingly it has an inverted flare so I can't use the same adapter. Again I had a lot of trouble finding a suitable adapter for this situation, and the closest I could find was this Speedflow one:

You can see it's got this weird flare arrangement here, which unfortunately is slightly different to the Speedflow one:

The adapter will engage the thread but I only get about one and a half turns before it bottoms out, and I'm not at all confident it's seating properly:

I think this one is a fail. Not sure what to do for plan B, there isn't a lot of tube to work with here so I don't think I can weld another fitting on there without damaging the tube. Another idea is to ignore the existing outlet, drill a hole and fit a -6AN bulkhead fitting with a barb on the other side that I can attach directly to the fuel pump. The problem with this idea is that there's very limited space between the floorpan and the top of the fuel tank, and most 90 degree elbows will be too large to fit in there. Possibly I can find a tight radius elbow that will do the trick, but careful measurements will be required.

It's always the little things that hold you up!
                    Norbie!

Comment

keep the oem pipes and have some metal fittings soldered on?

Comment

Also might be a possibility! Do you know anyone who can do that sort of work?
                        Norbie!

Comment

Pretty much and hydraulic hose person. Silver soldering is what it is called. Enzed have done it for me heaps of times.

Comment

Good to know, thanks for the tip!
                            Norbie!

Comment

You can get an M14 inverted flare fitting. It’s what I linked to on Facebook.
                              Chris
                              ------
                              The new nugget

Comment

Yeah the Speedflow one is M14 inverted flare, but it doesn't fit properly.
                                Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X