MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, that would be a giant fuck around but would definitely work, I'll keep that in mind as Plan C!
    Norbie!

Comment

plan D, support/lower the engine on the cross member with your transmission jack with car on the hoist.
      attach and support engine/gearbox combo. lower car back and attach crossmember

Comment

I kinda like that idea but I think I'd be well past my jack's load limit putting a 2JZ + crossmember on it. Also I'm not sure how I'm getting the transmission up there if the transmission jack is already in use.
        Norbie!

Comment

I had a go at Plan A last night and I think I succeeded!

It was a bit tricky though. The problem is, while the pressure plate and drive plates sit nicely on the input shaft, the intermediate plates (?) are loose and just drop to the bottom of the bellhousing:

So I had to very carefully guide those plates into position with my fingers while I was lining up the bellhousing with the engine block. Needless to say this took ages, I was super paranoid about bending/damaging something so I was checking and re-checking everything with every mm of movement, but doing it all on a hoist with a transmission jack meant it was at least possible. An extra set of hands would have made it 10x easier but I was impatient as usual!

Anyway it's in, or appears to be at least:

The next job is to finish the clutch hydraulics and then I can see if the clutch actually disengages correctly. Fingers crossed!
          Norbie!

Comment

Un- resto'd clutch fork, WNB. :p Good work man!
            Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

LOL I did consider it...
              Norbie!

Comment

Got a few more things knocked over this weekend. Clutch hydraulic line is finished, just needs painting:

I'm pretty happy with how that worked out actually! I also put a rebuild kit through the slave cylinder, so the clutch hydraulics are basically brand new from end to end. Hopefully it actually works!

Since the transmission is (theoretically) installed for good I decided it was a good time to install the shifter:

Looks nice! I don't currently have a way of bolting down the rubber boot so I should probably do something about that. Can anyone tell me what the factory JZA80 setup is like - are there just four bolts there or is there another piece that clamps it all down? It kind of looks like there should be another piece but I'm not sure.

While that was going on I got busy cleaning up the inside of my fuel tank. I filled it up with 2L of hot water and 2L of KBS AquaKlean, then chucked in some nuts and bolts, then shook the whole thing around for a while. After a couple of hours of soaking with periodic shaking around I emptied it out and got in there with a pressure washer to knock off the rest of the gunk. It actually worked pretty well, shitloads of horrible brown crap came out:

I didn't get any photos inside the tank but it's mostly clean metal in there now with some light surface rust here and there. Tomorrow I'll hit it with KBS RustBlast to get rid of that, and then I'll call it done for now.

I'm still waiting on a few more bits and pieces to arrive before I can start modifying the pump hanger, but once that's done I should be able to re-install the tank and call that part of the fuel system done.
                Norbie!

Comment

Here's the inside of the tank after I let it dry overnight:

Very minor surface rust, barely worth worrying about at all. But since I bought the rust removal stuff I might as well use it. I didn't get around to doing that today though, I got distracted restoring the drain plug and had to wait for the paint to dry!

I also tackled the main fuel line today. The plan was to bend up a single tube to go from the firewall to just in front of the tank, so I straightened out a 3m length from my roll of 3/8" tube:

Then I got busy bending it to match the existing fuel lines:

Testing along the way to make sure everything kinda sorta matches:

Once again I am extremely glad to have a hoist, if I was trying to do this on the ground I'm pretty sure I would have just given up on the whole idea 10 minutes in!

I still had my share of frustrations though; at one point I was using my pipe bender to make a 90 degree bend and I must have done something wrong because the pipe kinked, ruining the whole piece. I didn't have enough tube to start again, so after a suitable number of swears I decided to just cut it off at that point and pretend that's what I meant to do all along. The pipe goes from the firewall to just in front of the rear axle, and I'll just run braided hose from there to the tank. No big deal really, I just have to buy a longer bit of hose than I was planning.

So, on with the -6AN compression fittings:

Some rivnuts and P-clips to hold it in place:

And that's it basically done:

The next job is to fab up a bracket for the Turbosmart fuel filter I bought the other week and mount that somewhere near the tank outlet. Hopefully I can find a good spot that's out of the way of rocks and debris etc but still relatively easy to access.
                  Norbie!

Comment

I’ve learned the hard way (see Merc 280 thread). Bosch Bundy tube is shithouse to work with. Small tube benders just kink it. Best I managed was with bending springs and doing it by hand.

looks bloody good tho mate! It’s coming along awesome.
                    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                      I’ve learned the hard way (see Merc 280 thread). Bosch Bundy tube is shithouse to work with.
                      Ah yes now you mention it I think I remember that coming up. So maybe it wasn't my fault for a change!

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                      looks bloody good tho mate! It’s coming along awesome.
                      Thanks dude! It's starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere now.
                      Norbie!

Comment

where did you source the hardline?

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                          It's starting to feel like I'm getting somewhere now.
                          Seems like you're pretty consistently chipping away at it. Easy to get disheartened with the workload, but it's like eating an elephant

Comment

Originally posted by jasonp1977 View Post
                            where did you source the hardline?
                            Some random eBay store. I just searched for 3/8" steel bundy tube.

Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
                            Seems like you're pretty consistently chipping away at it. Easy to get disheartened with the workload, but it's like eating an elephant
                            Yes you're right, the key is to keep at it and focus on one thing at a time. This is one of the reasons I haven't written down a list of things to do, the list would be absurdly long and I'd probably give up!
                            Norbie!

Comment

Some new goodies arrived in the mail yesterday so I got started modifying the fuel pump hanger. Here's where I started:

The outlet pipe (with the threaded fitting on the end) has to go and the electrical terminal needs to be upgraded for more current. The return pipe stays.

So, inlet pipe lopped off:

At this point I had to decide where the new stuff was going to be fitted. My initial plan was to replace the inlet pipe with a bulkhead AN fitting, and replace the old electrical terminal with my new larger one. Unfortunately I soon realised that wouldn't work - there wasn't enough room under the inlet pipe location for my AN fitting (blocked by the hanger bracket), and my new electrical terminal is too wide to fit where the old one is (would overlap where the plate seals against the tank). So new plan - old electrical terminal stays where it is, new electrical terminal goes where the inlet pipe used to be (it doesn't need much space underneath), and new outlet goes in a new location. So two 14mm holes drilled:

The new hole wiped out one of the spot welds holding the hanger bracket in place, but the bulkhead fitting will be screwed in here so hopefully this will be OK:

And here it is installed with a barb fitting attached:

The outlet side is actually very compact, I don't think I'll have any clearance issues when installed in the car:

So far so good. I haven't done the electrical terminal yet - unfortunately it's designed to go through much thicker material so I'll need to fabricate a spacer or something so it will seal properly. I'll tackle that later today.
                              Norbie!

Comment

I got the electrical terminal pretty much sorted yesterday. Here you can see the spacer I fabricated, basically just a chunk of 3mm aluminium with a 14mm hole in it:

And here's what it looks like from the top:

In case anyone is interested I'm using this bulkhead terminal from Aeroflow:

Click image for larger version

Name:	AF49-4051.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	7081441

Today I'll be painting the top surface and then I can begin final assembly of the fuel tank.
                                Last edited by Norbie; 11-10-19, 08:49 AM.
                                Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X