Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a busy weekend. Fuel pump hanger got a lick of paint:

Fuel pump mounted and connected to the outlet with some Gates submersible hose:

Attached some wires:

After a large amount of fucking about I managed to get the whole assembly mounted in the tank. It was seriously difficult, I must have been trying for at least a couple of hours and at one point it looked like it was going to be totally impossible and I'd have to go back to the drawing board. Persistence paid off though and it's in, I really hope it never needs to come out again because that was a prick of a job:

The tank itself is getting a coat of stone shield and then it's ready to go into the car!
    Norbie!

Comment

The next component in the fuel system is the filter. I probably should have bought a bracket to go with my Turbosmart filter but I didn't, so I decided to just make one. Doesn't need to be pretty as this will be mounted under the car. So, I cut a bit of aluminium flat bar and drilled a hole:

Marked out the outline of the large hex on the filter, then filed it out by hand:

Kept going until I could get the filter into the (very) roughly hex shaped hole:

Bent the flat bar in a vice and voila, one half of a fuel filter bracket:

The other half will be similar but just a round hole so I don't have to worry about the hexes lining up. Then I just need to put some nutserts in a suitable location in the floorpan, bolt it up and call it done! Hopefully that will be sorted later this week and I can actually start connecting some fuel hose.
      Norbie!

Comment

I got some smaller jobs finished as well. I was happy with how the clutch hydraulic line worked out so I painted it black and installed it properly with all the original brackets etc:

With that out of the way I was able to install the starter motor, which meant I could make the last section of battery cable from the bulkhead terminal in the firewall to the starter:

Looks pretty neat! Still got a ways to go before I can actually turn the engine over, but this is an important step along the way.
        Norbie!

Comment

I would be seriously hesitant about using that fuel filter mount. Metal on metal vibration will tear it apart.

Just get one of these and add a layer of rubber.
          https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...%2Fulk%2Fitm%2 F192626098208
          Last edited by takai; 14-10-19, 08:52 AM.
          Chris
          ------
          The new nugget
          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
            Just get one of these and add a layer of rubber.
            https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...%2Fulk%2Fitm%2 F192626098208
            Link no worky?
            Norbie!

Comment

Gah, silly link.

This one: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Fuel...m/192626098208

You can also get them in 50mm which is what im using:
              Last edited by takai; 14-10-19, 09:28 AM.
              Chris
              ------
              The new nugget
              I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Ah very nice, thanks!
                Norbie!

Comment

That is looking awesome Norbie!

I still have my OMA610 plates which I am thinking of moving on - I know yours is not M powered but thought I would put the offer out there for you for first dibs if interested .... I had thoughts of reliving those times and building another but thinking been there, done that. Probably buy an e46 M3 when the kids are driving and I don't need to cart them to/from sports/dance etc (only a couple more years! Eeek)
                  CU in the forest ... sideways!
                  --

Comment

Originally posted by pp View Post
                    That is looking awesome Norbie!
                    Thanks dude!

Originally posted by pp View Post
                    I still have my OMA610 plates which I am thinking of moving on - I know yours is not M powered but thought I would put the offer out there for you for first dibs if interested
                    I appreciate the thought, those are awesome plates to be sure. I already have my heart set on different plates though so I'll have to pass on this one.
                    Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                      You can also get them in 50mm which is what im using:
                      My filter is 45mm OD but I ordered one of the 50mm ones in the hope I can shim it with something to make it work. Unfortunately I didn't check the delivery estimate and I might have to wait until December for it to arrive!
                      Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post

My filter is 45mm OD but I ordered one of the 50mm ones in the hope I can shim it with something to make it work. Unfortunately I didn't check the delivery estimate and I might have to wait until December for it to arrive!
                        Lol. Classic.

If you want it earlier then this was the mob i bought mine from: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-55-mm...k/174010666185
                        Aussie stock, delivered in about 3 days.

For a shim add a couple of layers of bike inner tube.
                        Chris
                        ------
                        The new nugget

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post

I appreciate the thought, those are awesome plates to be sure. I already have my heart set on different plates though so I'll have to pass on this one.
                          No worries at all. Looking forward to seeing this back on the road!
                          CU in the forest ... sideways!
                          --

Comment

Me too, I just hope I live long enough to see it happen!

I'm still inching towards that goal though. Last night I got started painting the fuel tank as the original paint was flaking off or damaged in a few places. So I masked off a few bits, wire wheeled the damaged parts and primered over the top:

Then a nice thick coat of stoneshield:

Once that's dry I'll go over it with some black enamel paint, then flip it over and do the other side. Then maybe I can finally put the tank back in the car!
                            Norbie!

Comment

I also got started sorting out the other end of the fuel system. I decided to start with the fuel pressure sensor, which needs to go between the fuel rail outlet and the fuel pressure regulator. I have the regulator mounted very close to the fuel rail, so to keep everything neat I want to mount the pressure sensor quite close as well - but not attached to the engine directly, because my sensor came with a warning that the vibration could lead to premature failure. So I'm going to mount the sensor on the firewall just behind the fuel rail - and that means I need a bracket!

So, I cut off a chunk of aluminium 50mm angle and drilled a 10mm hole to match the M10 thread of the sensor. The idea is that the bracket will be sandwiched between the sensor and the -6AN adapter it came with:

And here's what it looks like cut to size and with a 6mm hole for mounting on an existing M6 threaded hole in the firewall:

I'll clean it up a bit more and paint it before the final install obviously. I'm not 100% convinced this solution is good enough, but I'll test fit it and decide from there.
                              Last edited by Norbie; 16-10-19, 08:57 AM.
                              Norbie!

Comment

I dont see that working. The Bosch sensors seat on the flare seal inside the taper. So unless the bracket is exactly the right thickness it will either wobble, or it wont seat. I suppose you could use a pair of O-rings to mount it, but i would be wary. I did consider this method for a while though.

I ended up using a Turbosmart oil filter as a convenient mounting point:
                                Chris
                                ------
                                The new nugget

Comment

Working...
                                X