MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I had the same thoughts as well. The bracket is slightly undersize, and there's an o-ring taking up the slack so it doesn't wobble around. Should work mint I reckon.
    Norbie!

Comment

Progress continues with the fuel system. I tidied up the pressure sensor bracket a bit before installation:

The it was out with the 200 series hose, measuring and cutting:

Then made up a few hoses with the bits I had lying around. It's way easier making 200 series hoses compared with 100 series:

I decided to tackle the fuel return first. Here you can see a relatively short hose going from the fuel rail outlet to the top of the pressure sensor, then another hose goes down and loops back up to the regulator:

The regulator is really close to the fuel rail outlet so I was a bit space constrained, but I made it work:

It's looking pretty nice so far, I love the black anodised look:

Not pictured is the final hose from the bottom of the regulator to the hard line at the base of the firewall, and that completes the return. I'm pretty much out of Speedflow bits now, so I'll have to order some more stuff before I can tackle the rest of it. I'll need 2-3 metres of 200 series hose and about half a dozen hose ends, also a Y-piece (because dual entry rail) and a check valve because my fuel pump apparently doesn't have one. It shouldn't take me long to put all that together once I have it, and then I can pressure check the fuel system and see where I screwed up.
      Norbie!

Comment

Oh yeah and I still need to finish the fuel tank. The paint on the underside was badly chipped and pitted from 35 years of being hit by road debris, so I decided to take it back to bare metal:

The a couple of coats of primer:

Then a nice thick coat of stone shield and some enamel over the top (don't seem to have any photos of that so try to imagine a black fuel tank). It's just drying now so I should be able to install it tomorrow and I can start measuring exactly how much fuel hose I need for the back half of the car.
        Norbie!

Comment

I installed the fuel tank today. Here it is all painted up nice with the masking removed:

When I took it out originally I noticed it had some bits of flat rubber stuck to the top of the tank, I think to prevent metal on metal contact between the tank and the floorpan? Anyway it was all pretty degraded so I chucked it in the bin, but I had some slabs of sticky insulation material so I cut up one of them and stuck it to the tank instead:

That should do the trick I guess? Anyway it's installed in the car now:

My main concern here was if my mods to the pump hanger would clear the floorpan. It was hard to get a good photo with everything put together but you can see there's plenty of room:

This will all have to come out again so I can get a -6AN hose attached to the pump outlet (no way to get a spanner in that gap), and I also have to put a proper connector on the pump wiring, but it's nice to know everything seems to be working out so far. I can also measure out how much fuel hose I need to go from the tank to the hard line.

Speaking of the electrical connector, can anyone suggest what I should be using here? There are only two pins required (fuel level sender is separate), it needs to be somewhat weatherproof, and has to handle up to 24A.
          Norbie!

Comment

Simple 2 pin Deutsch DTP
            Chris
            ------
            The new nugget
            I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

I used Anderson powerpole 45A on mine, they've also got 30A terminals that go in the same housing: http://andersonconnect.com.au/store/...ex&cPath=36_41

Comment

deutsch dtp

Comment

Thanks chaps, so something like this?

https://www.ozautoelectrics.com/deut...ector-kit.html

And a crimper like this?

https://www.ozautoelectrics.com/deut...ping-tool.html
                  Norbie!

Comment

I got the roll crimp ones from a Stedi dealer: https://www.stedi.com.au/deutsch-con...ale-2-pin.html
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The new nugget
                    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Thanks chaps, I just spent way too much money on a big pile of Deutsch connector kits of various sizes and ratings. Hopefully that should cover most of the electrical stuff I want to do, but inevitably I'll be back for more soon enough.

Speaking of coming back for more, I also ordered another batch of Speedflow goodies to finish off the fuel system. It seemed like I didn't need much to get the rest of it done but I still wound up spending over $600. Holy fuck that stuff adds up fast!

I managed to keep costs down slightly by not ordering the black braided hose for the back half of the car - it's over $20/m cheaper. I still went with black for the visible stuff in the engine bay of course, but I couldn't help feeling slightly ripped off. Oh well, it should look nice when it's all done. It had better!
                      Norbie!

Comment

While you are still playing fuel system you can stick your new trans jack under the tank and take the straps off to be painted black. :p
                        Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Don't worry, it's on the list.
                          Norbie!

Comment

Ha ha doing an awesome job man - loving the progress and updates!
                            Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Thanks man, I'm glad someone other than me is reading this thread!

I had a couple of deliveries today, my shiny new Speedflow bits and some Deutsch connectors, so I'm going to have a busy weekend. Luckily my new Aldi beverage chiller is stocked with various adult beverages so I'm good to go!
                              Norbie!

Comment

I think I am nearly as excited as you to see it going again...OK maybe not AS excited as you but excited and I am sure others here are too. I'm reliving my youth through memories of PF skidpans/cruises etc via your car resto :D (remember when we actually went on PF drives!!!!) :p
                                Last edited by piss98; 25-10-19, 03:36 PM.
                                Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X