MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha yes but some of my 18yo ideas have been updated appropriately, eg I'm definitely not building the suck-through carby setup I used to dream of.
    Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
      Haha yes but some of my 18yo ideas have been updated appropriately, eg I'm definitely not building the suck-through carby setup I used to dream of.
      See I reckon it'd be really cool to do a modern interpretation on the old school suck through carby. Run a Jenvey Heritage ITB or a sleeved DCOE Weber modified with a TPS, fuel rail/injectors hidden under stock manifold, decent computer, E85 and water meth. Would have that 90's look at first glance with modern driveability.
      Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Hmm, interesting idea but more effort than I'm willing to put into it. Maybe it would look good on some old Fiat.
        Norbie!

Comment

I didn't like the fuel hose I made between the fuel rail outlet and the pressure sensor; I made it as short as possible with a 90 degree elbow on both ends, but it was in the way of a bunch of other stuff and was a real prick to get on or off. So I remade it, this time with a 90 degree hose end on one end and a straight on the other. It's quite a bit longer and does a bit of a loop, but still looks fairly neat and is way easier to deal with:

Not too bad I guess? The perfectionist in me thinks it could be better. Maybe I'll revisit this later, but for now this should work.

Now I just need to make the hoses for the fuel rail inlets and that's the fuel system sorted, at least the engine bay portion of it. Maybe a few more P clips and hose separators. Ah who am I kidding, I'll be fussing over this for ages yet!
          Norbie!

Comment

^ stupid question. Can you not go under that fuel pressure gauge looking thingo?

I'm terrible with these as well. I must have done similar stuff 30 times over before I'm happy with it.

Comment

Going under the gauge was how I had it before. I agree it seems to be the logical way to do it but it was a giant PITA! Too much going on in that area.
              Norbie!

Comment

why do you want a guage (at all) facing the firewall when you have a sensor, or have i missed something?

Comment

The FPR came with that gauge and I need something to close off that port so it might as well be the gauge I have!

It might come in useful at some point though?
                  Norbie!

Comment

You could just put a blank in there which would neaten it up if you don't need the gauge.

Comment

True, if it starts to bother me I'll probably end up doing exactly that.
                      Norbie!

Comment

You know you can use the Bosch sensor for “blocking” the port and remote mount the reg on rubber isolators. Makes plumbing so much easier.
                        Chris
                        ------
                        The new nugget
                        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

If I was starting over I probably would have done it that way. But fuck it, I'm not starting over now!

Anyway moving on, I made one of the inlet hoses for the fuel rail. I wanted to keep it neatly tucked out of the way which means using a 180 degree hose end and threading the hose through the inlet runners. Annoyingly this required taking the plenum off and disassembling a bunch of shit so I can get access:

I think it worked out pretty well though:

The other inlet hose will be much easier, just a 90 degree hose end from the back of the rail and pretty much straight down to the Y-piece on the chassis. Unfortunately I seem to have stuffed up my last Speedflow order, I should have one more straight hose end to do this part but instead I have an extra 90 degree hose end? So that's pretty annoying but not a whole lot I can do for now apart from order another hose end and wait for it to arrive.

Oh and one of my recent impulse purchases arrived, I'll eventually mount this on the centre console near the shifter when I get around to the interior stuff:

Maybe a bit cheesy but I think it's pretty cool.
                          Norbie!

Comment

Should get something similar for your Celica.
                            Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Way ahead of you there:

Should work well I think.
                              Norbie!

Comment

I really need to pull my finger out and get some of these outstanding jobs done, but I've been busy spending money instead. I got yet another shipment of random Speedflow bits which I'm hoping THIS time will be enough to finish the fuel system (probably kidding myself here), and I also got some -10 gear so I can get started on the oil lines. The black braided 200 series hose is over $100/metre for -10, holy fuck.

I was curious about how much I've spent on Speedflow so far, so I plugged in some formulas in my Excel spreadsheet to see where the most money is being spent. Not far off $2k for Speedflow so far and that's mostly just the fuel system! Fuck me that stuff really does add up fast.

I also took advantage off the black friday sales and picked up a Haltech Elite 2500 + harness from my best friends at Goleby's. It's a little early for this but I got it for $500 off RRP so it was worth spending the money now rather than spend more money later. I also grabbed a Turbosmart boost control solenoid while I was there, and they generously threw in some free stickers to decorate my shed:

How much have I spent at Goleby's you ask? According to my spreadsheet it's almost $7500. OMGWTF. I thought this was wrong at first, must be a typo somewhere in my numbers - but no I've bought lots of expensive things from them over the last year or two. The aforementioned Haltech is a big one obviously, but also the fuel pump, injectors, FPR, DBW throttle, Plazmaman intercooler, sump baffle kit, and a whole bunch of little stuff. It all adds up I guess.

I'm trying to estimate how much this project will end up costing overall, and it looks like I'll hit $50k easy. Talk about over capitalising on your shitbox!
                                Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X