No announcement yet.

MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL haven't thought about the horns. Maybe.

I got a bit of work done in the shed over the weekend but not much because it was crazy hot in there. My pressure test gauge arrived last week so I plugged it into the spare port in the oil filter block and started the engine to see what sort of pressure was making it there:

It read zero. The needle didn't even twitch.

Head scratching ensued as I've previously had the turbo oil line off while cranking the engine and it pissed out oil everywhere, so clearly the pump was doing something. Also the factory oil pressure switch indicated there was at least a few psi pressure because the oil light was turning off after a bit of cranking.

Eventually I worked out that last time I had the oil lines off to fix a leak I put them back on backwards. So I swapped them over and now my test gauge reads 40-60psi. Also the oil pressure sensor is now reporting proper readings to the Haltech which are within a few psi of what the gauge reads. So that's all sorted now, let us never speak of this again.

I also did a bit of page-up action in the fuel maps and it idles quite nicely with the AFR in the mid 13's instead of high 14's, so that's a bonus. I can even stab the throttle and it actually revs, it doesn't choke and die like before. Sounds tough too.

I'm not quite done with the problems though. While turning the steering wheel with the engine running the wheel moves in a jerking motion, not smoothly like you'd expect. Also there is fluid leaking out of the rack as I do so. I'm not sure what that is all about but it doesn't seem good. I've tightened the compression fittings as much as I can, not sure what else I can do there - maybe something is damaged?
    Norbie!

Comment

I've also been attempting to get the interior back together, but I've decided the carpet needs to go in before I progress much further. So I pulled the original carpet out of storage - my original intention was to give this a thorough clean and put it back in. So I laid it out to see what I was working with:

Hmm, not sure about that now. I'm sure I can improve it a lot with a bit of elbow grease but it's pretty manky and worn, and frankly I never liked the colour of the front section - I think it was originally a light blue but it's faded to grey. I'd much prefer if to be dark blue like the cargo area.

So I'm looking around for aftermarket options, and it seems there are a few places that make moulded carpets for the A6 chassis. I bought one for my RA23 Celica from Knox Auto Carpets and it was pretty decent, and they have a listing for the MA61 specifically:

http://www.knoxautocarpets.com.au/to...-61-1983-1986/

I'm currently leaning towards this option. I know it won't fit as well as the factory carpet but at least it won't have 35 years of wear and tear (and Coke spills).
      Norbie!

Comment

Where is the fluid leaking out from the rack? The ends or at the fittings or seals?

Open the PS tank and check fluid level, close and start car, turn the rack full lock side to side a few times, turn off with wheel in centre. Open the tank, has it dropped in level, is the PS fluid foamy? If the fluid is leaking out, where from on the rack?

You can add a few drops of automatic transmission fluid to the PS tank and try the turn sequence again. It does swell some seals to help with minor leaks.
        "Keep lowering your standards until you achieve a goal" - Mike Finnegan

Comment

Pretty sure the fluid is leaking from the fittings where it enters/exits the rack, but have to confirm. I've already checked the reservoir, plenty of fluid and no sign of air in the system. It already runs on ATF.

There is a possibility the belt is slipping on the pump. There's another issue I need to address which is that the pulley on the PS pump has the wrong offset so the belt is on a discromulent angle, this is causing a noticeable squeak and it wouldn't surprise me if the belt is also slipping a bit as it gets loaded up. I'll concentrate on fixing that and see if it helps - my plan is to get it turned on a lathe and remove ~5mm from the inner hub, that should get everything lined up properly.
          Norbie!

Comment

So I tried starting it up again today and crawled under the car to see where the PS fluid is leaking from. And it didn't leak this time. I think this car is fucking with me now!

Oh well moving on. My Aeroflow order arrived today and I set about mocking up mounting locations for things to see what works and what doesn't. First the catch cans:

I put a couple of -10 90 degree hose ends on the top so I can get a sense of the total height, and checked to see if it will fit in the right rear corner of the engine bay like I'd planned:

This is as low as I can get it. It's close but I think that will work! I can run a couple of -10 hoses over the top of the brake booster and along the firewall to the back of the engine, which is the neatest possible way to route the breather lines I think. The output will be a bit trickier, I'll have to run lines around the strut tower to link up with the airbox or whatever I end up putting in front of the turbo, which means they will run very close to the hot parts of the turbo and wastegate. Of course I could just put a couple of little filters directly on the catch can outputs but I'm not sure if I could get away with that for long.

Next up was the radiator overflow tank:

It comes with a bracket with a single large mounting hole, which doesn't feel like much but I decided to roll with it. After a small amount of head scratching I cut a bit of aluminium angle, drilled a couple of holes and mounted it right next to the radiator thusly:

That's more or less exactly the outcome I was hoping for, so I'm pretty happy about that. At least I was until it came time to actually hook it up:

I mean it's entirely functional but it's ugly and it violates my "no visible rubber hoses" rule in a big way. So I need to think about what to do that looks a whole lot nicer. The overflow tank has -6 ORB fittings and the radiator has what looks like NPT for the overflow outlet, so I can probably put together something nice with -6 braided line for that super overkill look. But that's a fair way down the priority list for now.

I didn't have time to actually mount the catch cans today but I'll try to get that sorted tomorrow, and it looks like I might need to find a new home for the mod plate as well. Then I can order the -10 hoses and fittings I need to hook all that up. Just when I thought I'd spend enough money on Speedflow!
            Norbie!

Comment

New bits look good. Sucks that the overflow outlet from the radiator sticks out directly towards the engine, rather than point off to the side.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren View Post
                New bits look good. Sucks that the overflow outlet from the radiator sticks out directly towards the engine, rather than point off to the side.
                Cut it off. Drill and tap to 1/8npt.

seems simple to me.
                Last edited by tim510; 09-02-21, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bren View Post
                  Yeah that's one of the biggest reasons I wanted to switch to AN gear, I can put a 90 degree hose end on the radiator outlet and that alone will make it way neater. Can't really do 90 degree turns with a rubber hose.
                  Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by tim510 View Post
                    Drill and tap at 90 degrees, use 1/8npt to AN fitting adapter.
                    Hmm I hadn't considered doing this sort of surgery to my shiny new radiator, but that might be a thing! I do have a NPT tap here somewhere...
                    Norbie!

Comment

you'll find that the original port for the overflow on the neck is 1/16" npt, best path forward is probably to throw a 1/16 to AN4 adapter in there and then use whatever fittings to connect the rest up. If you try and drill/tap the neck for 1/8" NPT I can see welding a new filler neck to the radiator in your future

Comment

Are you mounting the catch cans to the mod plate?
                        Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster, Clock Lobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                          Are you mounting the catch cans to the mod plate?
                          Negative, I'm moving the mod plate somewhere else. Probably the opposite side of the engine bay, but I'll wait until everything is mounted so I can be certain I have a clear spot.

Originally posted by jasonp1977 View Post
                          you'll find that the original port for the overflow on the neck is 1/16" npt, best path forward is probably to throw a 1/16 to AN4 adapter in there and then use whatever fittings to connect the rest up. If you try and drill/tap the neck for 1/8" NPT I can see welding a new filler neck to the radiator in your future
                          Thanks for that. I ordered a 1/16 NPT to AN4 adapter from Speedflow, along with a metre of 200 series hose and two 90 degree hose ends. So that should dramatically improve the appearance of the overflow setup.

While I was there I also ordered 3 metres of -10 200 series hose and some hose ends for the catch can. I decided to go with filters on the outlets instead of plumbing it back for now, so I grabbed some ORB to 3/4" hose tail adapters from Speedflow and a pair of 2" filters from Aeroflow. Hopefully that's everything I need to get the breather system sorted, my only concern is that the 200 series hose isn't very flexible so I'm not sure how I'll go routing it the way I imagined it in my head. I could go with the more flexible rubber stuff but I was warned off that because these hoses could have ethanol in it when running on E85. Anyway that's another thousand bucks or so worth of Speedflow bits and pieces, when will it end??

While I was in the mood to spend money I pulled the trigger on a new moulded carpet from Knox. It was only $200 delivered which felt like a bargain compared to the above! It will be interesting to see how well it fits.
                          Norbie!

Comment

Bit of a frustrating day today. I spotted a small puddle of coolant under the car, and after poking around for ages looking for the source I can't figure out where it's coming from. It's definitely dripping off the thermostat housing but I can't tell if that's the actual source or if it's just passing through. All the bolts in that area are good and tight, nothing seems to be amiss. I might end up having to remove a bunch of stuff around that area (including the turbo and exhaust manifold) which is super annoying. But that's cars for you.

I got pissed off with that whole thing and switched to interior stuff. I finished putting the HVAC bits back in and routing the ECU wiring around it in a semi sensible way:

Then I dug the dashpad out of storage:

It's pretty filthy but overall in good shape, no major cracks or anything and it's structurally sound. The vents are falling apart but that's par for the course with these cars and mine is better than most. The only serious blemishes are the holes I made mounting gauges with self tapping wood screws back in the day, because no fucks given.

A quick scrub with soap and water helped a bit:

And it's back in the car at last:

It's not too awful but the colour is quite badly faded and has a sort of chalky appearance. It certainly looks very ordinary next to the near immaculate dash in the Celica. Is there anything I can do about this or is it a case of getting it profressionally restored at this point? Refusbishing interiors isn't really something I have any experience with.

Norbie!

Comment

Grey flock...

Comment

Originally posted by Nick View Post
                                Grey flock...
                                I did have that thought when you had yours done, it came up great! Remind me who did it for you?
                                Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X