Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apparently steel wool gets the old tint off without damaging the glass

Comment

If you are lucky, you might be able to peel off the tint, in one piece. Just lie it in the sun to heat it up, start at the bottom of the window so you can put a razor blade under it to lift a corner, and bit by bit peel it up.

I got both of the ones on my car off in one piece by just being slow and patient.

Comment

Which windows are the tint on Norbie? For side windows, if you can't peel it off as suggest above, use narrow 38mm scraper blades and ammonia based cleaner to remove the residue once you've scraped the tint off. For the rear window it's best to wait until you can get it in full sun on a hot day to 'steam' it and soften the glue..
        6L FD3S RX7
        GR Supra
        Jeeps JK, CJ7, WK2

Comment

If you’ve got a bit to remove and/or it’s stubborn, buy a steam cleaner from Kmart for $25. I removed a whole car worth of super old, super well bonded tint in about 10 minutes with one, no scrapers/blades or chemicals required, the film just peels off once the steamer breaks down the glue.
          https://www.kmart.com.au/product/han...leaner/3475801

I’d offer you mine but I think we’re at extreme opposite ends of the outskirts of the city(?)
          Last edited by andy_wk; 06-04-21, 10:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips guys. While I was putting the glass in the drivers side door I noticed the lower corner of the tint film was sticking up a bit, so I grabbed it and started pulling - and sure enough the whole thing came off in one piece, winner! A tiny bit of adhesive was left behind but that cleaned off with some solvent pretty easily.

I have to do the other side window, the quarter windows and the rear windscreen - hopefully they will be just as easy but if not I do have a steam cleaner so I'll definitely give that a go if I have trouble.

As for the glass sealant stuff, apparently what I'm looking for is called "foam core butyl tape". I can buy this easy enough, but I'm also thinking about making it someone else's problem - I need to get a new windscreen installed soon, so I can just pay the windscreen guy to do it at the same time. It looks like a messy job so I'd be happy to not have to deal with it!
            Norbie!

Comment

I tried removing the tint film from the passenger side door today. It didn't go quite so well - about 90% of it came away in one piece but the rest tore and stubbornly remained in place. It also left behind quite a lot of adhesive residue which didn't happen on the drivers side glass. I might try hitting it with a heat gun and see if that softens the glue enough to get it off completely?

Meanwhile I've finished assembling the drivers side door:

So that's basically ready to go back on the car once I have a helper available again. Then I'll have not one but TWO functional doors on my car. Can you even imagine it?!

I'll need to revisit the body mouldings on the doors - for some reason the paint I applied hasn't dried properly and is still quite tacky even after several days. My guess is it was too humid when I applied the paint (it was raining at the time), but the door handles I did at the same time with the same product dried no worries and are fine. Dunno what gives with that, but I guess I'll wipe them down with some thinners and try again?
              Norbie!

Comment

Might as well sound deaden while you are in there......
                Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster, Clock Lobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                  Might as well sound deaden while you are in there......
                  WHAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Originally posted by Old Major
                  Perhaps she feels inadequate when you cum in other guys?

Comment

methyl spirits will get rid of the glue residue on the glass followed by some brake cleaner

Comment

Yeah sound deadening isn't a big priority for this build, and would probably be futile in any case.

I'll try metho next time I'm out in the shed (on the windows that is, not drinking it). Progress has been slow of late on account of an ear infection which has struck me down for the last week or so. Hopefully I'll be over it soon and I can get back to the important stuff!
                      Norbie!

Comment

I got the drivers side door installed during the week:

It isn't hanging 100% perfect yet, I'll need to adjust it a bit after the front guards are on - but they open and close properly, and in some sense it feels like a complete car for the first time in years. Big milestone!

I quickly plugged in the wiring harness for both doors and checked that everything works. Courtesy lights, door lock solenoids, power windows - all operational! Interestingly the windows move way slower than the Celica even though I lubed up the guides just as well; I'm putting that down to the relay mod I did on the Celica which works way better than the OEM setup I still have in the Supra. But I can't be fucked doing that all over again so I'm going to put up with slow windows.

On a whim I decided to get my fancy billet engine cover out of storage and install it on the engine since I'm done fucking around with the ignition (at least I hope so):

That actually looks pretty awesome IMO. It doesn't cover up the wires at the back of the engine as well as I thought it would so I have a bit of tidying up to do there, but otherwise I'm calling this a solid win.

Not sure what's next - I think maybe I need to get a windscreen guy out to install all the glass?
                        Norbie!

Comment

Looks grand

Comment

Cleans it up well

Some industry standard fleece tape will sort those wires up quicksmart
                            The Slowly IS300

Comment

Looking good!

I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

Looking very very good mate. Love seeing it with doors and seats, and getting windscreen in will be a huge step forward.

Comment

Working...
                                X