• Time
  • Show
Clear All

This will give an indication on staggered 17x7 and 17x10:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/11438104...iABEgJDKvD_BwE
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Big fan of what Speed Academy did to their LS430..

Wheels by a company called Augment Wheels
      https://www.augmentwheels.com/

Comment

Yeah I've seen those wheels before and I'm not the biggest fan, the proportions are a bit off I think? I'd like to see them with way more dish though, I might change my mind.

I've also seen stock MA61 wheels converted into 3-piece wheels by cutting out the centres, that can look pretty great but you're limited in how much you can increase the diameter.
        Norbie!

Comment

A little more progress this week. With the windscreen installed I decided to track down the lower trim piece (not sure what it's called - beaver panel??) which I eventually found in a dusty corner of the shed. It's actually in pretty decent shape and crucially not rusty, but the black was pretty faded:

It's especially noticeable in this area where the plastic windscreen wiper stoppers were removed:

So I grabbed a spray can of trim and bumper paint (the same stuff I've been using on all the other trim pieces) and got to work:

Much better! Here it is installed on the car:

There are some superfluous bits of the windscreen rubber moulding hanging down which I might trim off later, but once the panels are installed this might not even be noticeable:

Overall I'm pretty happy with how that's looking!

The window trims also need a lot of attention. I was planning to try using black vinyl wrap but I've been having difficulty finding any in a suitable size, so I decided to shelve that idea for now and see how it looks with the same trim and bumper paint as everything else. If it doesn't work out I can always start again later!

This is what the side window corner trim looked like, there's some sort of plastic coating which has degraded and started chipping off (the other side was much worse):

So I took it back to bare metal (mostly, I didn't want to fuck up the rubber around the edges):

And after a few coats of paint it looks like this:

And installed on the car:

It's not perfect, and you can certainly spot a few blemishes if you look too close, but it sure is a big improvement!

Next job is the strips which go along the top and bottom of the window, and they've degraded quite badly with the plastic coating just about falling off:

My first thought is to just remove what's left of the plastic and paint the metal, but I'm not confident that's going to look all that great. I guess I'll give it a try and see what happens?
          Norbie!

Comment

when I did the strips on mine, I ran a razor along the edge where it goes to the rubber seal to make a straight edge, peeled off all the cracked stuff and painted in plasti-dip, still good 8 years later

Comment

I like the Starion widebody wheels. 5 spoke but very similar style. Not sure if they'd clear your brakes.
              Proudly presenting the new foot long chocolate Subway.
              Originally posted by ALLMTR
              Rats tail haircut used to mean make sure the OC spray is shaken

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Bolt View Post
                I like the Starion widebody wheels. 5 spoke but very similar style. Not sure if they'd clear your brakes.
                Yeah I've always been a fan of those, but they're very thin on the ground nowadays. I need minimum 16" to clear my brakes, I think Starion wheels are 15"?

I got some more stuff done this weekend. Side window trims have been painted and installed:

Doesn't look too bad from a distance! Here you can see the lower trims up close compared with the original unrestored trim on the door - it's not a perfect match but it's pretty close:

And here's the rain gutters, painted on the right and original on the left. The joiner piece looks pretty rubbish, it's a loose fit and I think I need to bend it so it snaps into place and fits tight against both sides? Not really sure but I've left it here for now:

I'm fairly sure I'll have to come back and do all of thise again later (or pay someone to do a better job than I can), but for now I want to get this out of the way and move on. It looks fine if you don't get too close, and that's good enough for now.

Next thing was to install the front guards! I'd forgotten that you need to do this with the bumper off, so I had to spend fucking ages unbolting that thing again. Anyway I've got one guard on, haven't installed the trims or flares yet but it's already making a huge difference to how finished the car looks:

That's looking pretty nice I reckon! And check out this wheel fitment:

I might have the coilovers wound down a bit too low, but it looks pretty mad!

Getting close to the pointy end now, feels good man.
                Norbie!

Comment

I got the drivers side front guard on yesterday, so I can finally take this photo:

80s wedge twins!
                  Norbie!

Comment

Love this!!

Comment

So square, so wedge, so wow.....

Comment

On this day 19 years ago at Morgan Park:

Man I miss the Black Skid Car. However I am anticipating many more skids in the White Skid Car.
                        Norbie!

Comment

19 years ago... so this is all an act of trying to relive your youth?
                          Some may say a mid life crisis.

Great work.

Comment

Not gonna lie, that's exactly what it is.
                            Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                              Not gonna lie, that's exactly what it is.
                              At least you can admit it

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                                On this day 19 years ago at Morgan Park:

Man I miss the Black Skid Car. However I am anticipating many more skids in the White Skid Car.
                                This car just wanted to go sideways!
                                Torque sells tow cars.
                                Horsepower wins horse races.

Comment

Working...
                                X