MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kedderz View Post
    Does that page to decals for a st165? asking for a friend....
    Not that I've seen, but the dude seems pretty open to suggestions?

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100067073201990
    Norbie!

Comment

Couple of little jobs knocked over today. I think I finally tracked down the source of an annoying little oil leak near the remote oil filter - turns out one of the many Speedflow fittings hadn't been tightened properly, in fact it was pretty much finger tight. That'll probably do it! I'll keep a close eye on this next time I fire up the engine but I'm quietly confident that's it.

I also installed the last of the body mouldings on the front guards:

All I need to do now is put the wheelarch flares back on and the side profile of the car is visually complete. Nearly there!
      Norbie!

Comment

So damn close!!!!

Cant wait to see the arches on it

Comment

Now you need to send the wheels down to Mark for refinishing...
          Chris
          ------
          The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
          I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
            Cant wait to see the arches on it
            You and me both!

Originally posted by takai View Post
            Now you need to send the wheels down to Mark for refinishing...
            I'm currently undecided if I want to do this or buy a new set of wheels like the ones Guido linked to a while back.

Got a nice surprise in the mail this morning, wasn't expecting this until next week:

I'm real tempted to put this on the car immediately but I'll probably fuck it up, so I'll wait until the car is at the panel shop and make it their problem.
            Norbie!

Comment

Quick sanity check to see how the decals look on the car (obviously only the top row is meant to be on this side):

Yeah that's just the right amount of 80s cheese, I think this is going to look ace. I was super tempted to stick it on then and there but again, I'll 100% definitely fuck it up.

While I was putting it away in a safe place I came across the hatch decals I bought years ago:

I like that it's separated so you have diferent options - I can call it a "Supra" or a "Celica Supra", with or without the Toyota, and I can add the 2.8i for OEM correctness (and sleeper value) or 3.0it for present day correctness. I'll have to give this some further thought when it comes time to stick it on, but I'm leaning towards the original layout except with the 3.0it on the left:

I've never been one for putting stickers on my car but it looks like I'm making an exception just this once.
              Norbie!

Comment

While I was having fun I mock fitted the nose panel thing which closes the gap between the bonnet and the bumper, fuck knows what you're meant to call it:

I was going to bolt it in so everything lines up properly but I forgot how ridiculously hard it is to get at the bolts that holds this thing in, I'm actually not sure how you can do it with the headlights in, although I'm sure I managed it somehow back in the day. Anyway that's a problem for future me to deal with.

Next I got my fibreglass reproduction panel with build in nostrils (this is a reproduction of part of a body kit from the 80s) and test fitted that for comparison purposes:

Hmm. It's kinda hard to tell with the fibreglass piece being unpainted and obviously needing some finessing to get it to fit properly... but I think I like it? I think I'm just going to have to pay the panel shop to fit it and paint it for me and then I'll decide. I'm sure I could on-sell it easy enough if I hate it in the end, and the OEM piece is all painted and ready to go.
                Last edited by Norbie; 25-06-21, 06:02 PM.
                Norbie!

Comment

I'm never one for stickers on my cars either, unless its the OEM style stickers like you've got. Put all of them on with the 3.0i is my vote. And the factory nose cone thing is my other vote.

Comment

Looking good mate! :D

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Originally posted by Old Major
                    Perhaps she feels inadequate when you cum in other guys?

Comment

Fuck that bay is mint stickers will look tits too mate

Comment

Thanks guys, it's been a long road but I like where it's going so far.
                        Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                          I like that it's separated so you have diferent options - I can call it a "Supra" or a "Celica Supra", with or without the Toyota, and I can add the 2.8i for OEM correctness (and sleeper value) or 3.0it for present day correctness. I'll have to give this some further thought when it comes time to stick it on, but I'm leaning towards the original layout except with the 3.0it on the left:
                          I could be wrong but a don't think the MA70 Supra's ever had 3.0it badging. Even the 7MGTE powered ones were badged 3.0i weren't they?

Comment

Yeah you're probably right. Now that I have the ===TURBO=== decals on the side I can probably leave the t off.
                            Norbie!

Comment

Yeah, from memory the MA70's had 3.0i turbo

Oh, well looks like the JZA70 Supra ship has long sailed. Should have one when a clean import was $14K

Comment

A minor but significant update. I wanted to get one of my other shitboxes up on the hoist so the Supra had to move. To date I've been pushing it in and out of the shed, but this time I decided to start it up and drive it instead. So it moved under its power for the very first time since about 2011!

It was a very short trip, I just backed it out of the shed and back into a different bay in the shed. But still, it demonstrated that the new dual plate clutch works, the gearbox shifts properly, the brakes work, and of course the engine runs and makes enough power to move the car. Even better, there were zero oil leaks, and just a minor coolant leak but I already knew about that. Oh and it sounded really tough too.

I reckon with a small amount of effort (mostly fixing the wildly wrong wheel alignment) I could drive it around the block as is.
                                Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X