MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol at fucking whole engine in boot, you must hate that car. must smell entirely of musty oil now.
    https://www.facebook.com/Petes-Weldi...7343264035404/

Comment

Originally posted by Rz View Post
      jack bros supposed to be real expensive cunts. but whatever. 6k has gotta be ballpark.
      almost everything in that quote is not strictly necessary for a basic rebuild. pretty much the only things i would keep out of that quote are:

line bore - assuming you need a new crank ($580)
      tunnel hone - again assuming new crank ($137)
      hone cylinders ($177)
      machine block surface - only if using MHG ($154)
      balance ($338)
      ring gaps ($239)
      valve guides - may not be necessary ($99)
      hone guides - see above ($81)
      machine valve seats - this may not be necessary ($474)
      machine head ($102)
      wash head ($105)
      head assy ($212)
      wash stuff ($154)
      assembly ($1380)
      lube and silastic ($30)

that comes to a total of 4.2k, and as mentioned is on the high side of a lot of those costs still, and i have left in some stuff which is probably not needed. my motor cost barely over 2k for machining and assembly...

***i am not an engine builder
      1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
      The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Thanks for the opinions guys, it definitely seemed a bit high to me, but I get the impression this is an "everything including the kitchen sink" quote. The guy on the phone mentioned stuff like a new OEM balancer, water pump, timing gear, and other stuff I don't strictly want or need. Oh and new pistons which I definitely do need, so I'm sure that's a good chunk of it. Anyway when I see the detailed quote I'm sure there's a fair bit of stuff I can cull. I'll post it up here when it arrives, see what y'all think.
        Norbie!

Comment

that will be real interesting
          https://www.facebook.com/Petes-Weldi...7343264035404/

Comment

OK here it is:

PISTONS……………………………………………………………………………………….. $720.00

RINGS CHROME .………………………………………………………….……………….$112.00

BE BRG (XP XTREME SERIES OR EQUIVALENT) ………………………………$145.00

MAIN BRG (XP XTREME SERIES OR EQUIVALENT) …………………………$200.00

MLS HEAD GASKET ……………………………………………………………………….$309.00

TIMING BELT KIT ……………………………………………………………………….…$389.00

WATERPUMP .………………………………………………………………………………$70.00

ATI SUPER BALANCER ………………………………………………………………….$695.00

HEAD BOLTS …………………………………………………………………………………$59.00

GASKETS & SEALS …………………………………………………………………………$349.00

CRACK TEST/GRIND CRANK/BALANCE ROTATING ASSEMBLY……...$600.00

HONE/DECK BLOCK ……………………………………………………………………..$200.00

RECO CYLINDER HEAD ………………………………………………………………….$650.00

INSPECT/CLEAN/MEASURE AND ASSEMBLE LONG ENG ………………$1500.00

They don't specify which pistons but I'm going to assume OEM, and that price looks about right. Bearings I have no idea, are they usually that much? Head gasket seems a bit extreme, need to look that one up. ATI balancer is pretty fancy but I'd be happy with OEM, need to look that up as well. Head bolts can go, I have ARP studs and they're re-usable.

The rest I'm unsure about. Any thoughts?
            Norbie!

Comment

you can find pricing here or through amayama
              https://www.golebysparts.com.au/part...-2jzgte-parts-

using the website above:

OEM head gaskets are already MLS for a 2J and would save you a couple hundred. you can compare pricing for the rest of the gaskets and seals here:
              https://www.golebysparts.com.au/part...kets-and-seals

OEM balancer is fine for 20 years, another one would presumably last you just as long and is almost half the cost
              https://www.golebysparts.com.au/part...ering-fittings

pistons at that price you can get aftermarket stuff: http://realstreetperformance.com/Sho...ta-2JZGTE.html

but yeah if youre doing pistons and crank machining etc then its going to cost a bit more

Comment

Checked prices on Amayama:
                • Pistons: $684
                • Big end bearing set: $218
                • Main bearing set: $470 !!!
                • Head gasket: $146
                • Timing belt kit (belt + idler + tensioner): $160
                • Water pump: $205
                • Balancer: $249

Looks like I can save a significant amount by purchasing and assembling some of those parts myself. In fact if I ask them just to do the bottom end stuff it looks like this:
                • Pistons: 720
                • Rings: 112
                • Big end bearings: 145
                • Main bearings: 200
                • Test/grind/balance: 600
                • Hone/deck: 200
                • Inspect/clean/measure/assemble: 1500 (I assume this goes down if I exclude cylinder head and other stuff)
                • TOTAL: $3477

Looking more reasonable. The rest I can either ignore or do myself at a lower cost.
                Norbie!

Comment

Thanks trdee, you beat me to it. Sounds like we're thinking along the same lines.

Really it was only the bottom end stuff I wanted them to do, I had the cylinder head reco'd not long before the car came off the road so I don't think I need to do any of that again. All of the rest I'd rather do myself at half the cost or less. But bottom end machining etc, well beyond my capabilities so I'm going to have to pay.
                  Norbie!

Comment

yep should be able to save yourself a significant chunk depending on the final config and if you source the parts yourself

quotes like that first one is why i get confused hearing of so many 10-20k 2J/RB engine rebuilds on what is essentially a near-stock engine. my 9A was everything billet/forged/bespoke and it still cost "only" 10 because i took my time to spec the build and shop around for parts etc. seems a lot of people just drop an engine off, fork over wads of cash, and close their eyes and pray

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post
                      yep should be able to save yourself a significant chunk depending on the final config and if you source the parts yourself

quotes like that first one is why i get confused hearing of so many 10-20k 2J/RB engine rebuilds on what is essentially a near-stock engine. my 9A was everything billet/forged/bespoke and it still cost "only" 10 because i took my time to spec the build and shop around for parts etc. seems a lot of people just drop an engine off, fork over wads of cash, and close their eyes and pray
                      Yah. Even my race 4AG that TK did wasn’t as much as many claim their porting alone was.
                      Chris
                      ------
                      The new nugget
                      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

How do you know what sized main and big end bearings to buy ?

What are your plans for the motor? Do you want to lean on it eventually or just happy as it is?

Comment

Its in a MA61, 300kw is overkill lol

Comment

Originally posted by [RX3] View Post
                            How do you know what sized main and big end bearings to buy ?
                            You measure the crankshaft.

Comment

Originally posted by tim510 View Post
                              You measure the crankshaft.
                              Wouldn't that best be left for the engine builder to sort out once he machines and checks tolerences of everything ?

Seems a little risky buying them before any before hand unless they can be exchanged if incorrect size if bought.

Comment

I have no intention of buying the bearings myself, I was just doing a sanity check on the quoted prices.

As for my plans for the engine, I basically want it back where it was (440rwhp with a killer mid-range) but hopefully more reliable. A touch more power would be OK but as above, it's already overkill. Getting this sort of power down in an MA61 isn't easy!
                                Norbie!

Comment

Working...
                                X