MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shed was built to accommodate a hoist so it will definitely be happening - and hopefully soon, but I have other priorities right now.

The plan is to put it where the Hilux is now, so it's right next to the workshop area. The idea being that any car I have on the hoist is likely the one I'm primarily working on, so I want it close to all the tools etc.
    Norbie!

Comment

Today I got sick of tripping over the filthy lump of V160 in the shed, so I bought some degreaser and fired up the pressure washer. This is the before pic, but it doesn't really look as bad as it was. Pretty sure the 2JZ had a leaking rear main seal for a while, the whole thing was encrusted in thick black goop:

Post scrub - it's still not pretty, but at least you can touch it without turning black:

The degreaser I bought seemed to work OK, so I'll see how it goes once I turn my attention to the engine bay later. I'll also get some oven cleaner as suggested above. Removing 34 years of filth is going to require every trick in the book!
      Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
        The shed was built to accommodate a hoist so it will definitely be happening - and hopefully soon, but I have other priorities right now.

The plan is to put it where the Hilux is now, so it's right next to the workshop area. The idea being that any car I have on the hoist is likely the one I'm primarily working on, so I want it close to all the tools etc.
        that's where I planned to put it as well, ta.

planning to paint the floor ?

Comment

I've thought about it but not really clear on the benefits. Is it just to look nice? If so it's way too much to spend.
          Norbie!

Comment

It is a shitload easier to clear up. About the only good thing. Bad is that it costs money and prep work involved.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Comment

Ah I see. My slab has a smooth surface which I find is very easy to sweep/vacuum so I probably wouldn't get much benefit.
              Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                Ah I see. My slab has a smooth surface which I find is very easy to sweep/vacuum so I probably wouldn't get much benefit.
                Yeah, it is great for when you spill coolant, oil and transfluid all over the floor. Just mop it up with rags and it's like nothing happened. Concrete will stain.
                To put the epoxy on the floor, the concrete needs to be raw, or etched so the epoxy has something to bond too. Used concrete takes a bit of effort. I think it's worth it though. Less worth than a hoist though :D

Comment

epoxy FTW.

Comment

Agreed, hoist comes first. On that note, I'm fairly certain I'll end up with one of these suckers:

HAPP60 two post clear floor hoist

It's more expensive than the ones with the floor plate, but since I'm frequently working on non-functional cars that have to be pushed around I thought it would be worth paying more for the clear floor model. Overall lift height shouldn't be a problem, I'm never lifting 4WDs or anything big.

Current price is $2590 but I'm waiting for it to be on special again (just missed a special on this model last year) then I'll jump on it.
                    Norbie!

Comment

I had a busy weekend. Following tim510's advice, I bought a shitload of oven cleaner and got to work on my filthy engine bay. Spray it on, pass out from the fumes, wait half an hour, then blast it off with a pressure washer. The results were very impressive! Here's a before and after:

Then I got busy with the wire wheel taking care of surface rust etc, especially around the corner where the battery used to be, and hit all the bare metal spots with some etch primer:

Next I removed the cowling under the windscreen to see what was hiding under there. I was already aware of some minor rust in the A pillars so was expecting similar underneath, but it was considerably worse than that:

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, pretty much all of them rust in that spot. Anyway it's definitely not a home job to get that fixed, so I'll be speaking to my favourite panel shop to get a quote on rust repair and also welding up and respraying my engine bay. I expect it won't be cheap, but I've come this far so I might as well do it properly. After all I've owned this car for nearly 20 years and I expect to keep it for at least that much longer again!
                      Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                        Oh from memory the BMW “kit” was the bolt kit. Still needed to make the brackets.

Edit. Went and checked. The E30 kits use an E36 bolt which is 82mm long. The MA61 conversions use an E39 bolt which is 98mm long. So the E30 kits will at least need a bolt replaced. You could buy a kit just for the brackets. But no guarantee they are the same size on the eccentric washer. If you had a BMW parts catalogue you could cross correlate the floating washer end and see, as they are both M12x1.5 otherwise.
                        Parts 11 and 13:
                        http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=33_0519
                        "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Ouch! Probably best that you found it, the A-pillar is the next stop for that rust.

Loving the 'Super Responsive' sticker still in place. My AE82 4AC Corolla had that, it was not.

Comment

Haha yep I think every Toyota was labelled SR back then. Believe me the original 5M-E was in no way responsive either.
                            Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Gammaboy View Post
                              From the cross correlation on that site it doesnt look like E30s used the same eccentric washer. That could be for a number of reasons, but doesnt look good for the size of the weld on backing plates
                              Chris
                              ------
                              The new nugget
                              I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

i think it was for the chassis not the engine. stiff/responsive chassis
                                1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
                                The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Working...
                                X