No announcement yet.

MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LOL these things are relative I suppose. The shell got towed to the panel shop on the 7th of August, so it was gone a bit over 5 weeks. Not too shabby I guess!
    Norbie!

Comment

Thats pretty awesome. start from the inside out. hanging panels last. start refitting the wiring harness, brake lines, etc first?

Comment

Mine only took a week. A week short of 4 years...

Looking awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by tim510 View Post
          Thats pretty awesome. start from the inside out. hanging panels last. start refitting the wiring harness, brake lines, etc first?
          Yes something along those lines is what I have in mind, but I'm actually not done with the disassembly stage quite yet. I'm going to pull out the suspension and subframes, scrub/paint/refurbish everything, replace bushes and balljoints, that sort of thing. I even have an adjustable swaybar I bought over a decade ago and never unwrapped, so now would be a good opportunity to install it!

I'm super keen to get busy with putting things back together, but one step at a time.
          Norbie!

Comment

I test fitted the oil filter relocation kit today. It fits on the block so I'm happy. Ignore the cheap shitty red AN fittings, I'll replace those with Speedflow in due course:

I also finished disassembling the power steering pump, and found a nasty surprise. I made another thread for that, if anyone has any advice I'd love to hear it:

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...-steering-pump
            Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
              Yes something along those lines is what I have in mind, but I'm actually not done with the disassembly stage quite yet. I'm going to pull out the suspension and subframes, scrub/paint/refurbish everything, replace bushes and balljoints, that sort of thing. I even have an adjustable swaybar I bought over a decade ago and never unwrapped, so now would be a good opportunity to install it!

I'm super keen to get busy with putting things back together, but one step at a time.
              im impressed by your motivation mate. I assume this thing sat around for a while? What prompted you to get back into?
              Originally posted by gerry;n7288577
              having done my fair share of snorting white powder, made by a bikie in a garage, off a dirty cistern in a night club, means I find the argument about not knowing whats in the vaccine slightly perplexing.

Comment

Coming along nicely. It'll feel like a completely new car with the work you're doing.

Do you have a spare 2j rod I can buy? I need to stretch some rod bolts...

Comment

Definitely come and say hi when you're in the neighbourhood, but the neighbourhood is no longer Brisbane - I moved to the Lockyer Valley about 9 years ago. So you're just a little bit out of date.

And wanting another MA61 is definitely legit. They're hard to find now though.
                  Haha, I think the last time we caught up was pre-kids so given I have a 13YO now it has been a while! My sister-in-law has recently bought a property out that way also - will aim to drop by sometime. I do have a search for MA61 on gumtree and carsales - they pop up on occasion but not quite ready yet to get into one. I do also know where my old one is ...
                  CU in the forest ... sideways!
                  --

Comment

Originally posted by fly510 View Post
                    im impressed by your motivation mate. I assume this thing sat around for a while? What prompted you to get back into?
                    Yeah the engine went bang in 2010, at which point I rolled it into the garage and refused to even open the bonnet for 8 years. That was around the time my second kid was born, so I didn't really have time for cars and shit and sort of walked away from the whole thing.

Last year I finally had an opportunity to build my dream shed, and once it was completed I had to justify all that money I'd just spent. So I rolled the Supra in, finally lifted the bonnet and started poking around. Things escalated quickly after that, as you can see! Having a proper shed with enough space to work on things really made all the difference, there's no way I would have attempted a project like this in my old cramped garage. I've got a 15x7m space and it's already starting to feel crowded with all these Supra parts everywhere!

Edit: strangely relevant: I stumbled across this poll created by doctor ed in the Toymods forums way back in 2006, titled "When's Norbie going to sell his MA61 ??" It's worth noting that 73% of voters chose the correct answer, "nevahhhh".
                    Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by [RX3] View Post
                      Do you have a spare 2j rod I can buy? I need to stretch some rod bolts...
                      I can sell you a set of rods? Not ready to separate them just yet.

Originally posted by pp View Post
                      Haha, I think the last time we caught up was pre-kids so given I have a 13YO now it has been a while! My sister-in-law has recently bought a property out that way also - will aim to drop by sometime. I do have a search for MA61 on gumtree and carsales - they pop up on occasion but not quite ready yet to get into one. I do also know where my old one is ...
                      Yikes, stop making me feel old.

Is your old MA61 still as good as when you sold it? If so make an offer now, that thing was awesome and you should never have sold it!
                      Norbie!

Comment

Yikes, stop making me feel old.

Is your old MA61 still as good as when you sold it? If so make an offer now, that thing was awesome and you should never have sold it!
                        Apparently so - the guys really looks after it so I am thinking he will not part with it anyway. Add it to the list of cars that I probably should not have sold - 260Z, numerous KE Corollas, RX2. But each served a purpose much like this BMW that I just bought. I think I will leave them as awesome memories and keep moving on. To be honest, I think my next cruise car project will be something like a Healey for the wife and I to cruise around in and something I can tinker with.
                        CU in the forest ... sideways!
                        --

Comment

I would give serious consideration to having the subframes media blasted and powdercoated. Way easier, more durable finish, no mess and no fuss. Should be pretty cheap too.

PS 7 months in Paint Gaol for mine and only the roof and jambs are done (they were ready to paint in May, painted 10 days ago :/ )

Comment

Originally posted by Marv View Post
                            I would give serious consideration to having the subframes media blasted and powdercoated.
                            Hmm this sounds like a show car sort of thing, unless I'm misunderstanding. What are the pros and cons, keeping in mind these areas will never be visible under normal circumstances?
                            Norbie!

Comment

its cheap as fuck and lasts a long time. you can focus your energy on stuff you enjoy more than scrubbing grime from old parts.

Comment

You don't toil away scrubbing the bejeesus out of parts for a whole weekend getting them half-clean, to then lay some cheap rattle can paint over which will chip, scratch and flake the first time something touches them.

Blasting gets parts properly clean and gives you a good substrate to work with, even if you use a good brush-on paint like KBS Rust Seal (warning: takes 4 days for it to fully cure). The durability of powdercoat is way, way, way better than paint, and the cost of blasting and powder-coating is not much more than buying the stuff to clean and paint the parts.

Comment

Working...
                                X