MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can confirm Powdercoating is cheap and hell, minimal effort required on your behalf and comes up mint. The only issue might be finding one near you. Other than accidentally coating up threads that is.

Comment

Thanks, maybe this is a thing then. I'll see what I can find nearby and find out how much it will cost me.
      Norbie!

Comment

yeah, you've come this far with the body, do the subframes too
        '84 Supra 7MGTE
        '86 Supra 2JZGE track
        '99 Supra GTX35 VVTi
        '19 Supra B58 <3

PSN: RyleyMA61
        Steam: FapPappy61

Comment

Since we're talking about blinging stuff up, does anyone have an opinion on what sort of shiny bolts I should use in the engine bay for visible fasteners which aren't under a lot of stress? Stuff like the half dozen bolts which attach the top of the front guard to the inner guard. It's very visible when the bonnet is up and the old bolts look pretty crap against the shiny new paint.

I'm currently looking at 316 stainless, 304 stainless and zinc plated but will consider other options. Without seeing them in front of me I can't get much sense of which will look/function better. Any thoughts or opinions?
          Norbie!

Comment

316 is the marine grade - same thing with a bit of molybdenum.

Apart from the price difference, the 316 is more resistant to surface corrosion though I can't really comment on the relative strength.

They're using stainless with my front/inner guard bolts, so it should be fine. Not sure which grade though. The more expensive one usually!

Comment

M6x15 304SS SHCS with M6 304 washers. I used to buy them by the box so and use them almost everywhere
              Chris
              ------
              The new nugget
              I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

304 would be fine, 316 is $ and overkill

Also - instead of powdercoat (which does chip if hit) POR15 chassis coat black
                Mit freundlichen Gre

Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
                "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Thanks blokes, 304 stainless it is.

Originally posted by doctor ed View Post
                  Also - instead of powdercoat (which does chip if hit) POR15 chassis coat black
                  My original plan was to paint everything with Septone chassis black. Is that similar to the POR15 stuff?
                  Norbie!

Comment

I was thinking of doing the same on the AE86 - I found this site https://www.boltsnutsscrewsonline.com

seems pretty cheap!

Also - just use KBS coatings instead of POR15 - same same but cheaper - I did the whole underside of my car with it

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                      My original plan was to paint everything with Septone chassis black. Is that similar to the POR15 stuff?
                      Not even close to the same thing. Septone is like the stuff that dodgy used car yards use to tidy up ute chassis. POR15 is bullet proof if you apply it properly.
                      Originally posted by Marlin
                      Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

Comment

Originally posted by japlish View Post
                        I was thinking of doing the same on the AE86 - I found this site https://www.boltsnutsscrewsonline.com
                        Thanks, that's quite a bit cheaper than the eBay store I was going to use.

Originally posted by japlish View Post
                        Also - just use KBS coatings instead of POR15 - same same but cheaper - I did the whole underside of my car with it
                        OK I'll check that out too. Looks like a litre of POR15 is about $100 and the KBS equivalent is closer to $80.
                        Norbie!

Comment

The KBS and por15 chassis paints are good shit.

My Chugger has had por15 applied to the floor pan in black, and the S14 had white KBR applied to the floor pan and engine bay.

The only downside I found was with the white KBR it turned more of a cream colour, but a second coat seems to have lessened the yellowness if the colour and it is more the white I wanted.

I have a few brush marks on the S14, but race car, so not really worried, and if you see them then I have much bigger problems than some poorly applied paint.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post

Check out my experience with this.

It has since cured fine on the car, took about 6-months.

Comment

Interesting, thanks for that! Sounds like it was a bit of a nightmare.
                              Norbie!

Comment

I've also used KBS chassis paint. It (and POR15) have the same durability as powdercoat if properly applied. They do take approximately 4 days to fully cure, though so I'd leave them to hang and dry for a work week before handling them.

I'd definitely get the crossmember and arms media blasted so you know they're 100% clean. You can then either paint KBS/POR15 straight on top, or powdercoat. Another benefit to powdercoat is it isn't as messy (you can't wipe KBS off your skin), no brush strokes and a wider range of colours/finishes.

Comment

Working...
                                X