Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Low and Slow - My 64 Belair

Picked this up in January, its an Aussie Delivered 1964 Belair.
    I'm the 3rd owner from new (2nd owner only had it 6 months, made some money I'm sure but I don't care, heaps of car for the money).

It's never been restored, lived in Moree all it's life, so it's managed to avoid rust and coons.

She has 70,000 miles on it, the majority of which were done up until 1996, it was at 68XXX miles on it's pink slip in December 96, and I just clocked it over now.

No rust anywhere at all, except for a bit of surface rust around paint chips. It runs the original 283 with a powerglide, running really well on the rebuilt 2 barrel, I got 11-12L per hundred on the drive back to Sydney from Tamworth in it.

So far its had the expected lowering job and i put the stereo gear out of my old cortina in it, all tucked away without cutting any holes. Front seat has been retrimmed, back seat and door trims all factory red leather. I put in original venetians, and took off the grandpa hat it came with, because of it's size, it was braced in the middle of the roof, so the screws are back in there. Once I get around to restoring the body, I'll weld 'em up.

I've got the hub caps for it but haven't put them on, will put some full size moon caps on it and some flappers.

All the bright work is there and in good nick, the grille has two dents after hitting a flock of galahs on the way back from Goondiwindi Races years before I was born, no biggy, and the door rubbers have aged as you'd expect.

Having too much fun driving it when it's not raining to pull it off the road, every old car I've owned I spend 95% of the time working on it, and 5% driving, I want to do it differently this time round, so if I can get a dual exhaust on it, and put in an airbag kit and a disc front end this year, I'll be happy, next year, paint and panel.

Anyway enough shit talking, here's a few pics.

Cheers
    Mick
    Originally posted by race6.3l
    Only gripes are the bluetooth and stereo are bread and butter spec, not one person has been able to hear me properly during a call, even with my head all contorted towards the roof mounted microphone like im trying to growl a chic sitting on a clothesline

Need pics of the interior and the engine.

That looks awesome though.

Also need to put those hubbys on it.
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Great car. I've got a friend doing up one of these. He fitted a gas tank in the boot to make it dual fuel and you could still fit about 5 dead bodies in the boot.
      PS don't do the airbag thing, just keep it tasteful!

Comment

That is farken cool.
        Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Love these things...this is the model that had the 409 as an option, right?
          Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

Yep. A guy on another forum I'm on just finished restoring a retired police car with a 409. Reckons it goes harder then his current Crown Vic Interceptor.

Comment

Don't stick moons on it, please! Dog dishes all the way!
              Originally posted by Billzilla
              Remember - Ignorance in the true sense of the word does not equal stupidity.
              Wilful ignorance does though.

Comment

Hotness.. keep it Oldschool all the way, but with the fat exhaust note :D

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Comment

Paint the rims red, put baby moons on, run wide whites, fit lakes pipes, dummy spots, paint it suede purple and slam it hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Euroboost View Post
                    Yep. A guy on another forum I'm on just finished restoring a retired police car with a 409. Reckons it goes harder then his current Crown Vic Interceptor.
                    That's where I've seen this model before:

http://www.shannons.com.au/news?id=Z816W883BJ5CA37O

Norm Beechey raced an Impala 409 back in the day.
                    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

I'm trying to find a photo of the cop car. Problem is after my computer crash I can't get into the damm forum, and they appear to be having issues as well. Was a top shelf job, he wanted the car to be "perfect" and be able to compete at pebble beach. As opposed to most cop car resto which are "as new".

Comment

Originally posted by Euroboost View Post
                        Paint the rims red, put baby moons on, run wide whites, fit lakes pipes, dummy spots, paint it suede purple and slam it hard.

How original...
                        Originally posted by Billzilla
                        Remember - Ignorance in the true sense of the word does not equal stupidity.
                        Wilful ignorance does though.

Comment

still can't believe stormin norman raced one of these tanks.

no to moons.
                          Originally posted by Stix Z
                          i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
                          Originally posted by Jim
                          Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.

Comment

So for us ignorants, how did it happen that these were Oz-delivered?

Comment

Great buy! I say leave it as stock as possible, don't even repaint the thing. White walls at the most, it looks fine the way it is.
                              1971 Mazda 1300 Estate Deluxe 1500cc Twin SU - 1979 Mazda RX7 12APP - 1994 Mazda Familia GTR - 1973 Mazda 1300 Wagon

Comment

Working...
                              X