1957 Porsche 356A Speedster Replica

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very cool, I think it's great you have bought a car you have admired for a long time. I plan to do the same with a 67 Mustang sometime.

Comment

Is pobjoy still around? He was getting on in years 20 years ago...

Comment

I was just talking to my engine builder who is currently rebuilding a 1600 and a 2L quad cam. The 2L is from that 904 Monk mentioned was at the motorshow a number of years ago. I asked him if he wanted to give me the 1600, but unfortunately he declined. Anyhow I asked him about the difference between a 1959 VW motor and the Porsche 1600 Super motor of the same year. He said they are similar, but the VW was only 1200cc in 1959 and produced 36hp. The Porsche has a beefed up crankshaft with counter balances + bigger main bearings ect. The 1600 Super motor produces 75hp. So although the engine itself is similar, it produced twice the power of the Beetle of the era. The VW 1600 came much later in 1972 in the Kombi and produced 50hp.

Originally posted by JZK25 View Post
        Love the car Cal. I have an awesome 356 sales poster from the 50's on the wall in my sons room. I painstakingly took a photo(not digital) of it in Stuttgart and had it enlarged when back in Aus. Worked out great.
        Thanks. I'm about to get some of those 50's racing posters printed for the garage. http://www.performanceforums.com/for...orsche+posters
        The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

I'm sure if there was anything even vaguely interchangeable between the 356 and the Bug donks you would hear lots of VW guys saying they have Porsche rods etc in their motors and AFAIK that doesn't happen.
          Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

For me, that's probably a bad thing! :p
            The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

get it outta the shed I'm coming around after work....
              Toys List
              1933 34ft Williams Timber Cruiser
              1951 Ariel Red Hunter 500cc
              1973 Honda CB250 Cafe Racer
              1977 Honda CB550 Cafe Racer
              1979 Mazda S1 Rx-7 12abp
              1980 Maico 440
              1981 Mazda S2 Rx-7 20bt
              1983 Mazda S2 Rx7 GT Sport Sedan
              1983 Honda CR480
              1989 Honda CR500
              1997 Mazda S7 Rx-7 13btt
              1998 3.2m Aussie Whaler - 40hp Mercury
              1999 KTM 250 Team Castrol Factory Race bike
              2005 Holden Rodeo Diesel Hauler
              2006 Husqvarna TE450

Comment

No worries, what time?

Comment

Originally posted by HoonBoy View Post
                  Is pobjoy still around? He was getting on in years 20 years ago...
                  http://www.stanpobjoysracingeng.com.au/
                  Looks like he might be. Hmm, I just realised it's been 20years since I first got into VWs, and have yet to actually own one!

Comment

Another option for a replacement motor if necessary...

http://www.aircooledtechnology.com/Home_Page.htm

Comment

it is funny that everyone is offering advice for replacement motors
                      ........ of a motor noted for its durability and longevity ! :p
                      Originally Posted by RotaUte: Some say he carries around a 5D and a beat up teddy bear, all we know is... he's called THE Q

Comment

Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
                        It's not a replica, it's a tribute.
                        Dude that is beautiful!

This car is damn nice to, have always been a fan of these early girls but I must say I would have to scratch that 930 itch I have before buying one of these baby’s.

/ --------------- \
                        _/ /___________\ \_
                        /_________|_________\
                        |OOO ___________ OOO|
                        \______|====|______/
                        [_]-------------------[_]

Comment

Originally posted by Q View Post
                          it is funny that everyone is offering advice for replacement motors
                          ........ of a motor noted for its durability and longevity ! :p
                          There ya go! Ya just jinxed it
                          Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

Comment

Here's the poster Cal.

David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
                            You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

Originally posted by Babalouie View Post
                              There ya go! Ya just jinxed it
                              Nope.
                              German cars are immune :D
                              Originally Posted by RotaUte: Some say he carries around a 5D and a beat up teddy bear, all we know is... he's called THE Q

Comment

Who said it'll throw the towel in? I was talking about when he wants more fasts, which we all know will happen.

Comment

Working...
                                X