LS1 Torana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jesus Im slow.
    Extractors ordered and "installed" (CRS items). Installed = as in put roughly where they need to go and take photos and measurements of how they need to be modified to fit. Ive relocated to starter motor for more clearance, and all its done is move the foul condition from one side of the motor to the other. The Pass side extractor hits on the starter motor (in two places), drivers side its hits on the floor just before the flange. I knew they wouldnt be a straight forward fit and might need some mods. The biggest pain is getting them in and out. To get them in/out its a car off the engine frame job. Not hard to do, but bloody time consuming. I'll mark them up, take them to pacemaker and have them modified. Then fit them again and see how it looks.

Also bought one of their chassis kits. It surprisingly fits really well and looks like it will do a great job. About 6-8 hours to fit it all up (lots of bolting up, drilling holes, unbolting, drill more holes, bolt back up). Bolts to the chassis rail forward of the k-frame mount, through the k-frame mount, around the gearbox cross member and reinforces around the rear trailing arm mount.

9" centre and axles are on the way (31 spline, Trutrac, 3.9's)
    Fuel pump/system sorted (aeromotive in tank Phantom job with GM filter and reg as used by others in another thread)
    Various other shitty items purchased that seem to add up: Magnaflow cats, xpipe and mufflers, adj control arms, steam pipe kit etc etc.

Hoping for skids in April.

Comment

Very good.

Comment

Your last post is lacking pics!
        Originally posted by Motherfucker Jones
        If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
        we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Comment

Originally posted by BENN0 View Post
          Jesus Im slow.
          Extractors ordered and "installed" (CRS items). Installed = as in put roughly where they need to go and take photos and measurements of how they need to be modified to fit. Ive relocated to starter motor for more clearance, and all its done is move the foul condition from one side of the motor to the other. The Pass side extractor hits on the starter motor (in two places), drivers side its hits on the floor just before the flange. I knew they wouldnt be a straight forward fit and might need some mods. The biggest pain is getting them in and out. To get them in/out its a car off the engine frame job. Not hard to do, but bloody time consuming. I'll mark them up, take them to pacemaker and have them modified. Then fit them again and see how it looks.
          This--> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azPKIjxmmdU

Comment

Originally posted by BENN0 View Post
            Tossing up whether to go the extra yard and put air con in it while I'm at it?
            did toranas come with a/c? or just fitted with something like the old knee freezer mkIV? it's always nice on a hot day.
            Originally posted by Skompa
            The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

Comment

I think the 6cyls had an option for a terrible air con setup, the rest had knee freezers. Decided not to go with air con this time round. Might look at it again when the engine comes out for a "touch up" after engineering.

The pipes sit hard up against the starter for a fair section of it. We gave it some bashing, but it didnt help a lot. Main issue is that the connection for the power cable to the starter was hard up against the pipes. Even bashing nearly flat, there is still a foul condition and about 5mm between one of the pipes and the power cable connection. There is bot of room on the outboard side, so the pipes can come over 15-20mm and clear everything. Well, thats the plan anyway......
              A couple of more recent pics. Nothing too special. Played around with a black front end, excuse the dusty car (had a spare shitty grille and front bumper). I think i'll stick with the silver/chrome front.

Comment

It's amazing how there seems to be a ton of room on 308's in these and fuck all on ls's
                I own a two and a half litre Commodore - 8.93 at 142mph

Comment

I'll counter that and suggest that blackened front end looks awesome!

Comment

i seem to fap on about this a lot, have you considered fitting the complete hvac setup from a '90s jap car? you could probably get one small enough to go behind the dash. get everything then. one of the fill in sparkies at work fitted a whole tr magna dash to his hx.
                    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

Comment

Lack of room on this car has been the biggest challenge. Sump on the cross member, gearbox in the tunnel, extractors, decent sized front brakes, front tyre width etc.

Ive measured up a vintage air universal system which looks like it will fit up under the dash. The unit plus compressor, bracket, drier, condenser and lines will be about $2100. The vintage air unit is around $600 of that.
                      At this stage I just want to get it running and engineered. Then put a decent engine in it and look at aircon while the engine is out.

Comment

do you have a p'n'p wrecker nearby? it'd be worth taking a tape measure and having a look. something along the lines of a camry/magna/maxima might be small enough, and a lot less than $2100. also, if you weld on any brackets or need to mod the firewall it's easy now. anyway, enough fapping. your car, etc etc.

Comment

Little bit more progress lately. Seems like there have been a fair amount of dollars spent, but not a lot of movement when looking at the car

New rear bumper and other bits and peices, $650 in fittings and crap, but the third member and the axles have me excited.
                          Planning on putting it all together this weekend and finally getting on the ground with the wheels, brakes and rear end all in.
                          Diff is a 9", 31 spline, true trac.

Comment

Looking good buddy, keep at it.
                            1970 RX2 coupe, 13b turbo.
                            1973 Cortina, 5.0 Windsor
                            1974 808 sedan, 12a Bridgeport
                            1976 Datsun 260c Coupe

I've got a 1968 XT Falcon.........!

Comment

Everything fit up nicely in regard to the diff width, axle length etc.
                              Adjustable upper arms went in fine (saved a bit of cash using adjustable arms from a Chevelle)
                              Rims are 17 x 9.5" wide, dummy tyres are a 265. I might be able to get a 275 under there when I sort out the watts link.
                              Snag is the handbrake backing plates. Need to mod them a fair ammount to fix the brake show offset. Nothing too major though.

I haven't adjusted the height on the coilovers yet.....

Comment

After a few years of back and forth with this car, its finally getting some progress! Kids/family and work cars seriously slow down progress......Looking back I should have just given it a coat of paint, thrown in a warm 308/TH350 and done skids. But here we are.

Three sets of extractors later, I have a set that fit. Boosted fab pipes fit up nicely (changed to tuff mounts at the same time). They did a greatjob considering they didnt have the car and took a punt. The starter motor went back to factory which was a nice touch also.
                                The ony change needed was the steering knuckle. I replaced the rag joint with a second knuckle, and one of the cotter pins needed to be shotened (threaded side).

Comment

Working...
                                X