Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1954 VW Beetle Oval - The labour of madness!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1954 VW Beetle Oval - The labour of madness!

Hi guys,

So after umming and aaaahing whilst collecting parts for my '59 rag over the last 6 months I found that I was lacking in some focus and drive.
    I've owned over 35 cars in the 14 years i've had my licence, had cars in magazines, shows etc etc so when I get into a project, I get through it quick and there's no messing about, so I couldn't understand why I couldn't get really into my rag this year.

After much forum surving, 'The Day Of VW' last year and meeting up with a few of the Luft boys over the last few months I worked out that i've really been lusting over an early oval.

About 2 months ago I started doing some research and settled on a '54 model year and commenced my passive search. Finally I came across one with the right credentials on ebay, right location and 3 days of negotiating resulted in a trip to Geelong on Monday just past.

The vendors starting bid of $6500 was more than I wanted to spend but after he relisted it 3 times over 2 months without much luck and a few sale fall throughs I came along and nailed the seller to the boards with careful negotiating and I picked her up for a steal (with an old flat screen LCD TV that we no longer needed used as a bargaining chip) and sealed the deal around midday Monday.

Armed with a mates turbo diesel Navara we set off to pick her up before someone could bid from under me, because as you all know, no matter what is said verbally, it ain't yours till the keys are in your hand!

The pics below tell the story!
    Saddled up and ready to head home:

Finally home, drove it from the street down the driveway to its new berth next to Berg the Rag '59:

Chillin'

The rag has been spoken for as of last night, and the new owner should be picking him up on Thursday.
    As soon as I return from overseas in May, I will get straight into the oval with gusto!
    The car itself is extremely solid and I get more and more impressed the closer we look!
    Dino!
    Insta @d7.nine

2001 996 911 Turbo
    1991 964 911 C2
    1966 912 SWB 3-guage - [Build thread]
    1956 356A T1 Coupe - [Build Thread Soon]
    1957 VW Split Kombi 11-Window - Sold [Build thread]
    1954 VW Oval Beetle 3-fold sunroof - Sold [Build thread]

Nice score, I've always loved the Ovals.

Cant wait to see your build.
    Originally posted by Einstein
    The definition of insanity is repeating the same action and expecting a different result

Comment

Congrats, I love old VW's.
      Skrrraaaarrrrrk

Comment

Nice one mate.
        The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Comment

Niceone!! Whats a semaphore?
          Maverick - gone
          Turbo AU Ute

Comment

Semaphore is a built in laser for shooting pedestrians. It was Hitlers idea.
            Skrrraaaarrrrrk

Comment

Sieg heil! Nice one.

Comment

Originally posted by PASHN8 View Post
                The 59 rag has been spoken for as of last night, and the new owner should be picking him up on Thursday.
                Fucker. For some unknown reason I always like beetles.

/edit: Nice buy, looking forward to build up pics.

Comment

Awesome stuff, I love these things!

<subscribes>
                  AutoMotif

VC Valiant

Comment

Explain to me why the blue clagger is better than the slammed, perfect colour scheme, kick ass one on the left, besides having a smaller rear window?

/end uninformed remark from VW n00b.
                    1998 NB MX5
                    1997 VS II Statesman (L67)

Originally posted by TK
                    Fuck yeah, Kinsler stuff for holden 6's is like finding hens teeth buried under rocking horse shit next to the needle in the haystack during a blue moon.

Comment

oval window is the most obvious one... I'm not very educated on dubs either but I know the ovals are highly sought after. I think because they are older, and also because the oval window has a bit more rodder appeal.
                      Ride : Turbo LPG Gemini - http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/non-t...hp?f=6&t=25363

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys

Brad, yes they are more sought after from a long term collectors/investment perspective (which can vary depending on who you speak to) they are also the earliest Beetles sold in Australia. A '54 Oval is the oldest Aussie beetle you can obtain if you exclude split windows, I like rarity and uniqueness over the more common stuff.

I also figure if i'm going to put in the hard yards anyway on thed red '59, I might as well do it to something more collectible long term.

Plans will be a full shell respray and any rust/dents fixed. Colour is undecided as yet but I am very partial to VW strato silver.
                        The colour can look quite different depending on the light as you can see below.

It will also be getting my newly delivered 4.5" narrowed DUB beam fitted along with some CB spindles and CB front discs.
                        Wheels will be 17" Escra Radars with Toyo Proxes 4 fitted.

I'm thinking an original themed TMI interior, headliner and carpet and exterior will remain factory in appearance with the original hearts fitted.

Motor wise, I want to get the original donk running smoothly for now and just enjoy it for a year or so after its painted before I go chasing any more power, low and slow I say.

Rear pop-outs if the budget stretches and I'd LOVE to fit a rag, but i'm not sure I could bring myself to chop the original roof!
                        Dino!
                        Insta @d7.nine

2001 996 911 Turbo
                        1991 964 911 C2
                        1966 912 SWB 3-guage - [Build thread]
                        1956 356A T1 Coupe - [Build Thread Soon]
                        1957 VW Split Kombi 11-Window - Sold [Build thread]
                        1954 VW Oval Beetle 3-fold sunroof - Sold [Build thread]

Comment

Nice basis for a project! My old man had a 56, completely original and all parts there.

Sold it for $1500 bucks about 10 years ago :knock:
                          Pain is temporary, quitting is forever - Lance Armstrong (drug cheat)

Comment

very nice mate, cancel your holiday and start it now, I'm keen to see progress!
                            Originally posted by race6.3l
                            Only gripes are the bluetooth and stereo are bread and butter spec, not one person has been able to hear me properly during a call, even with my head all contorted towards the roof mounted microphone like im trying to growl a chic sitting on a clothesline

Comment

Dino...

Not sure if you are aware of JV Automotive in Croydon. John Vercoulen is the Grandfather of VW in Vic...

his workshop number : 03 9723 4968

he knows all there is to know about VW cars.
                              Ride : Turbo LPG Gemini - http://www.ozgemini.com/forums/non-t...hp?f=6&t=25363

Comment

Working...
                              X