Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Project Car: 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner build thread!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Engine on doorstep? You're doing it wrong!

522 sounds good
    I am thinking of building up a 10-second doorstep to take to the drags...

Comment

My 512 owes me a little bit over $10k. I thought I was doing well getting the stroker kit and heads etc when the exchange rate was at 80c. Would make it a bit cheaper now.

I measured it up to go in my VF ute but with the girdle, the alloy heads and a 440 efi single plane edelbrock manifold there was no easy way it was going to fit.

Even with the all the alloy bits they are still a bloody heavy motor.

Going from the flow figures after the heads where cleaned up and the cam specs I am hoping for ~650hp N/A running efi and a 4 barrel throttle body.

I had my 727 built up by TJ's in Melbourne but I am not sure if he is still trading.

This roadrunner has me fired up to find one of my own.
      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Comment

Originally posted by 68RNR View Post
        Sweet man that will look (and sound) awesome. Love the darts, thats what I was going to look for until the Roadrunner came up. I will definately give you a yell when the engine is ready to go. Probably be around April/May? It will come with the new manifold, MSD billet dizzy (wont fit i the RB block I'm ordering), new holley DP 750, MSD leads, high flow water pump and headers etc. Pretty decent donk. Had it compression tested and it was decent, runs really nice. Only fault I can find is the cam lobes look a bit worn (had a squiz when I did the manifold). It will probably be a rebuild job sometime down the track but decent runner for now.

Love that dart, especially with the red bumble bee stripe. Kickass.
        If it's a good runner you're only looking for a couple grand then I reckon you've got a buyer. Cam doesn't worry me because I plan to go a roller cam in whatever I buy.

I love all the mopars but never had the funds to buy a US car. Had some nice aussie stuff though (blown small block charger, big block VG wagon, turbo centura, 340 powered pacer hardtop, etc). The VE ute is a my dad's which he's just given me because he's got terminal cancer. At the moment I'm going to leave it mostly stock (he doesn't want me to "hot rod" it), but down the track it's definitely getting the dart treatment. My thoughts are that I'm not hot rodding it, I'm just changing it to another factory style. :)

Comment

Here's a 440 I had in a VG wagon, it's tight but doable. But having done it before convinces me that for the A-bodies, the 383 low deck is the way to go.

sorry, I'll stop spamming your thread now. Just so excited to see some mopar power. :)

Comment

Nice wagon turbohemi
            Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Comment

Originally posted by turbo510 View Post
              Nice wagon turbohemi
              Looks a fair bit different now. The big block was a mates that he bought as an unknown quantity for his 70 Cuda but as that project dragged on he got antsy about his 440 (the cuda was a 383 car) and he wanted to know if it was any good. So I suggested I buy a sleeper and we put the car together with his engine/trans. I pulled the motor down, checked it all, slotted in a new cam and reassembled it to make sure it wasn't going to lunch itself. It went pretty good with about 285hp at the tyres and used to hose WRX's with ease, which was freaking hilarious. Poor rexy owners didn't know what the fuck was going on.
              This was back in 2000 or so.

We got to talking and my mate was interested in buying the wagon off me but didn't like how close the aircleaner was to the hood. He reckoned it was choking and he was probably right. So he bought my VH Charger off me and fitted the 440 to that and I tried a turbo blow thru hemi six in the wagon, but it just didn't have the same feel as the big block. Nowadays the wagon just has a 245 hemi six cruiser in it and it's fun to drive around like that.

Here's the wagon with the turbo six

Comment

I'm shit faced. Do a skid already cunt :D
                2003 GU PATROL
                1996 GQ PATROL
                1992 R32 GTST SKYLINE
                1986 4WD HILUX

Comment

Holy snapping duckshit!!!! HAHA!! I think that redefines the term 'Sleeper' mate! That is fuckin awesome. A 440 in a valiant station wagon!!
                  Man would love to see the photos of some of the faces of guys who got done over by that beast ;)

Back to the build thread, I got the new gearbox crossmember all painted up and ready to go last night. The one that is in it is.... strange. Doesnt bolt in right, think its from a different car... Probably be a good idea to have the right one I rekon...

Tomorrow the plan is to fit the battery into the boot and run the new cables from the boot to my new terminal block thing in the engine bay. Then I can start testing to see if the things I have wired up are working (i.e headlights, indicators, instruments) and go from there. Also got a new 3/4" stainless braided fuel line kit to run under the car too.

So with a bit of luck, at the end of the weekend she should be running again and ready to put the rest of the interior back in!! (once I get the re-covered back seat back from the upholsterer).
                  I will upload some more pics tonight.

Comment

BTW Turbohemi, where did you get the lead separators for the 440? The ones that screw together like that?? I got some shit plastic ones, but I want some decent ones for my 8.5mm MSD leads. Also I am looking for a couple of the brackets that bolt onto the rocker cover hold down bolts to run the leads around the front of the heads... Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by 68RNR View Post
                      BTW Turbohemi, where did you get the lead separators for the 440? The ones that screw together like that?? I got some shit plastic ones, but I want some decent ones for my 8.5mm MSD leads. Also I am looking for a couple of the brackets that bolt onto the rocker cover hold down bolts to run the leads around the front of the heads... Any ideas?
                      Geez, this is going back a while but I think they were made by Top Gun.

They were very much like these ones.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/IGNITION-...item23137efeac

Comment

Right, so made a heap of progress today, got stuck in and fitted up a bunch of bits that arrived in the post. Will post some pics of it all, but basically:
                        1. Ran new 3/8th fuel line (stainless braided stuff) and a pair of fuel filters. Looks sweet as and doesnt leak yet which I am pretty pleased about...
                        2. Installed the CORRECT gearbox crossmember and trans mount so everything is where it should be.
                        3. Installed battery relocation kit in the boot and ran my cables/grounds etc and wired everything up.

The summit battery relocation kit is a bit of a heap of shit. The battery box is crap and you have to mount your hold down arms OUTSIDE the box. which means you have to then cut slots out of the lid?? What a fucking stupid setup. Even the instructions are stupid. I would like to have the box bolted down properly, so I might look into getting another box or something... Oh well at lease the cables are run and I have a breaker installed as well.

Did a bit more of the wiring and got indicators and stuff to work!

Anyway, now I have a problem. If anyone here knows about MSD-6AL ignitions maybe you can help me out. Everything appears to be right with the wiring, the ignition comes on, the starter turns over fine and there is 12v everywhere there should be (across the alternator and also the direct 12v feed to the MSD6al. BUT the engine turns over but the engine wont fire. It looks like the MSD is not initiating properly. When I unplug the main plug to the MSD and then plug it in again, the red light comes on and then goes off. When the engine is cranking the light stays off and doesnt show it firing...

I put a meter across some of the wires and it looks like the 12v battery feed is fine, but the 12v from the ignition (which tells the MSD when to turn on) has a weird voltage, it drops down to around 3v when the engine is cranking.

Anyone got any ideas as to whats going on?
                        I had this issue with the old wiring and it was the reason I decided to re-do everything. When I jumped the ignition pin directly from the 12v feed the car started last time... Assume this would happen again if I tried it...

Any help??

Comment

Few photos of today:

Old fuel line:

New setup :)

Battery in the boot:

Some more of the dash back together:

Comment

MSD = My Spark Disappeared
                            whyyounolearn.jpg
                            Originally posted by myliberty
                            My car is a broken heap of shit too, so we have something in common.
                            13's for $1300: RX4/929 nugget.

Comment

whyyounolearn.jpg
                              Originally posted by myliberty
                              My car is a broken heap of shit too, so we have something in common.
                              13's for $1300: RX4/929 nugget.

Comment

Originally posted by aaron_hogan View Post
                                whyyounolearn.jpg
                                hey atleast its not pro-comp.

hey why you no worky with msd.

or mydizzycrappedoutagain.
                                Originally posted by Carroll Smith
                                The price of Man in motion is the occasional collision.
                                Royalpurple Oils

Comment

Working...
                                X