Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Car: 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner build thread!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, Gasoline alley have their own belts manufactured. Can get what ever colour as well.

If you just need belts, a call is all that's needed. If you need mounting points as well, they can do that and sign off on the mod plate.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Did my seat belts on Monday. Rare Spares bloke had Australian made and ADR complied belts with 150mm drops. Lettuce know if you want details and Ill check the paperwork when I get home - I'm sure it was $170 each side.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Buckle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	6619748Click image for larger version

Name:	Belts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	6619749

Comment

Mornin' lads.
        Been a few weeks since the last update again. Lots of shit to sort out.

Had some ongoing issues with the haltech to sort out. I got on the phone to Haltech on Friday, they remoted in through my laptop and had a fuck about with the tuning. Essentially since I locked the VVT out (locked the cam phaser) it had put the trigger offset out. I ended up sticking a timing light on it and finding the correct offset. We then found out that I was 360deg out. Once we fixed that, Vaughan from Haltech was able to get it running.
        Fast-forward to Saturday - Car wouldnt start. Got Timmy on the phone and we stuffed around with a few things before deciding the plugs were all fouled (again). So I then set about the fun task of removing and cleaning 16 fucking plugs.
        Once that was done, we tried again. Car was doing a weird thing where it would start easily, then just die in the arse after about 3 seconds. No amount of throttle seemed to help. It ended up being a combination of things, but primarily some weird shit in the fuel and ignition tables. Timmy worked his magic and we got it running pretty nicely! Positives are A/F ratio is good, and the timing isn't leaping about all over the shop like it was before the cam phaser lock went in. So it looks like we are on the right track!!

I made a couple of vids of it idling. It really needs a tune as it isnt revving out very cleanly, but you get the idea.

So after all that, I slipped the thing into gear, and it is again trying to move the car / stall the engine. It isnt actually as bad as before though. I initially thought that I was going to be pulling the converter out, but after a few calls this morning, I spoke to Brinks who suggested it is probably just that the idle is too high. So I bought the blood pressure down and am just going to dyno the thing before I get carried away.

Only other issue is this fucking cunt of an alternator. Still cant get this thing to work. Chain of events as follows:
        1. Tried Chinesium solid state voltage regulator - Initially didnt work
        2. Re-wired chinesium regulator - worked, but over-charging the system and trying to fry everything (running at 17v and slipping the belt).
        3. Ordered you-beut best ever setup from Alternator Man in the USA - modified driver for the alternator, and a new mopar-style regulator. Installed everything as per instructions, alternator does absolutely nothing. Not a thing.

So fuck me. Why is this so hard? Have emailed USA man to ask WTF. Kinda hard to run this car properly without an alt. FML.

Vid of it running (sorta). Fuck my shed is a mess. I blame my children.

Comment

Got feedback from Alternator Man in the USA. I wasnt running a dedicated ground to the voltage reg, so he advised I do that. I did that last night and still no bueno. Fucking fuck. I hate auto electrics. I emailed him back again and he rekons the voltage reg is fucked. *sigh*. So he's sending me another.
          It really shouldnt be this hard.

Comment

Damn it. What a pain over such a simple part!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Purple View Post
              Damn it. What a pain over such a simple part!
              Yes. It is pretty frustrating. It really shouldnt be such a bitch.
              The new modified driver that I got from Alternator Man, I believe that changes my alternator to the same style of 'regulation' as your unit, so I can then just control it with the same style regulator you have (they look the same anyway). So I can only therefore assume that if I get a reg that works, then the system should be fine... Now I have to wait for the reg to be shipped to the aus post forwarder in the US, then shipped here..... etc etc. FML.

Comment

Well, fuck me. After literally weeks of fuckarsing around, I finally got this stinking alternator working!!!
                Managed to get it to work properly with a Bosch RE55 that I had bought previously. As it turns out, the modified driver I put in the Alt means you can use a standard solid-state regulator as long as you wire it correctly.
                I had tried the RE55 previously and couldnt get it to do anything at all. I dropped in at Rod's Auto electrics yesterday morning and had a quick yarn there. As it turns out, I had been wiring it up incorrectly, hence the complete lack of anything productive. I had been wiring the two field points across the two plugs on the relay, and then feeding 12v into one of the relay points as well. As it turns out, one of the field points on the alt needed to go to ground, so effectively the regulator just feeds onto the other field point, and switched 12v ignition feeds straight into the regulator.
                Did all that shit, and had a glorious 14.2V pumping out consistently, no variation for revs or anything. Thank fuck.
                I then did something stupid when I went to move the regulator into the cabin. I accidently sent the reg output straight to the alternator case ground and bbq'd the fucking thing. Quick trip back to Rod's and bought another RE55 and all sorted.

I finally took the big girl for a quick blat up the road. It actually works. Box is shifting right, engine is running nicely, and seems to pull fairly well. It really needs a tune as it is trying to stall sometimes coming off revs. Next stop - the Hoff.

Comment

Awesome news!

Comment

very awesome, good work mate

Comment

Great stuff!
                      Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

I might be jumping the gun, but there is a whipple blower kit for this for sale on the G3 hemi aus facebook group...... HNNNNNGGGGG!!!!

Comment

There's an Australian group? Cool! Have just signed up.

Are you coming down to get Hoffed personally? Let me know, I'll likely be just around the corner.

Comment

Yes, there will be a personal Hoffing for sure. I spoke to him last week and have tentatively booked in for a couple of weeks time. I may even get down next week depending on a few commitments, but ill let you know....
                            He seemed pretty flexible which was nice!! Also sounded pumped to do a hemi / haltech combo so that was also nice (compared to previous guy who was like 'fuck this' )

Comment

Awesome news.....

Someone will be a happy camper making big V8 noises after the tune....

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Comment

Progress! Fuck yeh man well done!
                                Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X