Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Car: 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner build thread!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fucking legend thanks mate! Apparently you can just make a bracket out of 1/2" alloy and mount the pump to that. I ordered a pulley separetly for it that apparently fits, you press it on or something.
    good info re the 90deg pressure side fitting. Easy peasy. The Mopar pump has some weird fuckoff fitting that nobody seems to make a suitable fitting for. Last time I tig welded a steel fitting straight to it because fuck you!

Comment

Also interesting points on idle oil pressure. I'll keep an eye on it. I could just be paranoid.... Wouldn't be the first time (ask Tim!). Haha!

Comment

Originally posted by 68RNR View Post

As I said it is worth upgrading to the Hellcunt oil pump at some stage, but ill wait till I have a reason to pull the sump off first, because its a shit job.
        Like installing a turbo oil drain?

Comment

Fucking legend thanks mate! Apparently you can just make a bracket out of 1/2" alloy and mount the pump to that.
          Yep, IIRC there are two holes at the front one above and one below the input shaft. You can make up a bracket to go around the input shaft and that then goes to your block for mounting. I strongly recommend a rear bracket to hold it in place as the front mounting isn't that strong under belt tension. As mentioned - There is also a threaded hole on the back of the pump as well.

Heres an idea of what I mean for the front bracket.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12555693-illustration.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	7083383

I ordered a pulley separetly for it that apparently fits, you press it on or something.good info re the 90deg pressure side fitting. Easy peasy. The Mopar pump has some weird fuckoff fitting that nobody seems to make a suitable fitting for. Last time I tig welded a steel fitting straight to it because fuck you!
          Pulley was press fit. Not a lot of pressure and has a centre bolt holding it in.

You can remove the the brass fitting easily and then make up a new high pressure hose to go to the rack. I had my local hose place knock it up for me (CCR in Canningvale - really good) The return goes into the tank attached to the pump, but again this can be removed and remote mounted. The pump is incredibly similar to the C5 vette so look up what that crowd does for ideas.

Comment

Cheers mate!
            There is some good info in this thread, regarding adapting the pump to the hemi mount. Essentially they are just making a flat bracket that bolts to the factory holes, then bolting the pump directly to the bracket, so no need to make anything fancy that goes around the pump shaft or anything like that. Check this out:
            https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads...ing-pumps.html
            All seems pretty straight forward. I was just going to make up a new pressure line with 6AN braided hose again. I already have Earl's fittings there for it anyway. Ill probably piss my enormous (and unnecessary) catch can off and mount a remote res there too. Easy.

Another thing I need to do is mount the lower radiator pipe more securely. If you look back at some of the older photos, I tigged up a decent length of pipe to get the coolant to the right side of the radiator. This seemed awesome in theory, but it is flopping around all over the shop due to lots of torks and vibrationses. I can either tig a little tag onto the pipe, and then bolt it to the k-frame, or else make up a bracket that clamps onto it or something. Will have to have a fiddle....

Comment

That link is pretty cool. This guys setup is neat (Aim for this) but I can't see how hes mounted the front. Note the rear holes I was mentioning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	resized%20smaller.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	7083532
              My biggest headfuck was pulley alignment. I hope you don't have the same issues that I did.

Comment

That's Andrew Dunnet's engine bay - I've annoyed him a few times plus had a bonus ride in his ute, I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you sent him a message on Facebook. He's using a Falcon steering box.

Comment

did't you wantto sell this at one time/
                  Originally posted by Carroll Smith
                  The price of Man in motion is the occasional collision.
                  Royalpurple Oils

Comment

Nope. Don't think I've ever considered selling this mate. It's sorta a life long thing.

In other news got the type 2 power steering pump and my hood hinges and shit. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Comment

While I was away, summitracing santaclause arrived and bought me fancy hood hinges:

So Billetty.
                      They look super duper sexy. Very fucking solid, there is no sideways movement in them at all (which becomes a problem we will discuss). The factory stamped ones flop about like a dog's dick in a shirt sleeve. The main issue though was I had to remove the springs to allow for the fiberglass hood. I was getting sick of holding the bonnet up all the time with a pole.

Got it all mounted up, but then the fucking hood wouldnt close. Sits way way over the drivers side front quarter panel for some reason. I went and measured the hood and there is around 10mm difference from the hinge mounting point to the edge of the hood.... wtf? Dodgy aftermarket shit.
                      Drivers side (toight)

Passenger side (not toight)

I ended up solving the issue by putting some packers behind the drivers side hinge. It doesnt sit completely centered but its better than it was, so ill live with the rest.
                      I also bought some nice new hood pints, but the fucking pins themselves are too short. So now i've ordered some 13mm stainless round bar so I can tig weld a bit of a spacer into the pins. How annoying.

Comment

Based on the EM and billetyness I am guessing Eddie Motorsports, not cheap! I've resigned myself to the fact nothing fits on these old jiggers as every one is slightly different, how much depends on how many beers Billy Jim Bob and Co had at lunch.
                        Hide yo' wife!!!

Comment

The old ‘new parts are too straight for the rest of the car’ trick.

There’s probably some old panelbeater around who can get that perfect with a hammer, a piece of rope and some sort of ritual sacrifice in exchange for a six pack.

Comment

The funny thing is its not really the car at all. The hood is an aftermarket reproduction of the original A-12 hoods which I bought through Elko. It looks like the quality control on them is a bit hit and miss... I measured the distance from the hinge mount point (where the captive nuts are) to the outside of the hood and there is around 6mm difference between the two sides. That lines up nicely with how far out the mounting position is.
                            This is the passenger side - 35mm

This is the drivers side - 41mm

So options were either to shim the mounts (which I did) or trim some off the drivers side edge of the hood (which we wont be doing....)

Comment

Ohh.....sorry, might have just soiled your hinges....

Comment

They are quite a spectacle arent they. Pity about the rest of the engine bay. My mate (he's a cunt really) is now calling me a Wog because of my supposed blinged-out muscle car. Fuck that guy.

Comment

Working...
                                X