Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Project Car: 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner build thread!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PXL265
    replied
    And rods and cranks usually react must faster than stupid gauges anyways......

Leave a comment:

• Mr Purple
    replied
    Yep, 30psi at idle is fine. My Mini, which is the complete antithesis of your car in every way, does that. Usually bumps up to 60-70psi at speed so I figure it'll live.

I'm figuring on taking full advantage of having a top level Haltech and modern motor in mine - no gauges apart from temp and fuel. That's what the technology is for!

Leave a comment:

• krisr
    replied
    Originally posted by 68RNR View Post
    When it all warms up my oil pressure is down to about 30psi on idle, so I might look at upgrading to the hellcat oil pump as well. Other than that, shit is awesome!! :D
    Depends on a lot of factors, but 30psi at idle is fine. If you give it rev and hold it at say 3500 and it stays at as 60psi for example, then go enjoy the thing. If you're still paranoid, throw 20W/50 in it or put tape over the oil pressure gauge

Leave a comment:

• 68RNR
    replied
    Yes it was a serious cack. A few people did double-takes as they walked into the workshop haha!

Have been doing some research on the power steering pump situation. Looks like i can easily adapt a GM type 2 pump, with just a 0.5" thick mounting bracket (sweet). The pumps come with a 6an output and 8an input as well so easy to plum in. I think ill install a remote reservoir too.
    Pumps are like $180 on fleabay, pulley is about $90, so $270ish all up and I should be sorted. I think I have a res already in my box of tricks at home....

Leave a comment:

• piss98
    replied
    So much win! I did laugh when I saw the vid, first car I've seen stick out the front of the dyno room. :p

Leave a comment:

• 68RNR
    replied
    Thanks mate! Yes you can certainly feel the reduced weight and body roll with the small block. Has pretty good manners now for a bit beast. Will be even better when I get the sway bars installed.
    it doesn't have the stump pulling instant torque that the big block had, but it definitely pulls harder in the top end. More than enough to keep me happy for a while anyway!

Leave a comment:

• Komdotkom
    replied
    Fuck that's stout, great numbers. I initially thought you were mad getting rid of the RB but that's superb out of a small block, plus the drop in weight from the front end is a bonus.

Leave a comment:

• PXL265
    replied
    Excellent news, glad it all worked out and it will be relatively easy fixes to get fully sorted

Leave a comment:

• 68RNR
    replied
    More vids and pics on Cleveland Exhaust Facepage :D
    Last edited by 68RNR; 15-10-19, 08:42 PM. Reason: Fucked up

Leave a comment:

• 68RNR
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 68RNR
    replied
    Haha! Thanks mate
    Yeah sorry its taken me a day to post some proper stuff! Thats what happens when you are away from home I guess.

Loaded up the beast in Emerald on Saturday, and headed for Brisneyland (Note-not the tow vehicle, loading purposes only)

Got down to the outlaws place at Sandgate and paced the hallways waiting for Monday morning

Showed up at Cleveland Exhaust at 8am, eager as fuck! Chris took some very nice photos as well which are on the Clevaland Exhaust facebook page. His video of one of the dyno runs is also better than mine but hey!

Rolled the land-yacht in, so many longs:

Scotty hooking it up to the hub dyno:

After that, Hoff spent an hour or so playing around with the tuning and sorting out some of the weird shit that we had done to make it work. There was a lot of work to do with the fuel and ignition tables as everything was fucked up from trying to get it to work with the cam timing shifting randomly by up to 18 deg at will.... I had re-calibrated the trigger offset myself with a timing light, which seemed to be pretty on the money

Whole lot was done and dusted in about 3 hours or so. suprisingly, we had very few issues! Maybe I was a bit paranoid after previous attempts with this engine, but the last few months of work seemed to pay off.
    We have an ongoing issue with the TPS that I need to sort out. Looks like maybe a plug issue or the sensor itself is bad, so that is a quick easy fix.

Took the car back to the Sunshine Coast on Monday arvo after the deed was done, and took the old man for a spin around town. Car drives excellent and pulls hard. Should do a nice skid when I get back home...
    Power steering pump is now shagged though and was pissing out fluid again, so I probably need to deal with that issue directly. It appears the TPS problems are making the car randomly try and stall, but only happened twice in maybe a 20 minute run. Overall - 10/10 would dyno again.

Best pull of the day was 480hp at the hub. This seems to have been a slight fluke though, as it didnt get repeated again. I really should have photographed that...

Dyno vids:

Leave a comment:

• piss98
    replied
    I held off posting the video so you could throw it up with pride as it sounds fucking awesome in the footage!

Leave a comment:

• 68RNR
    replied
    Yeah not sure mate. It could be the clevite bearings possibly making a difference too? Or possibly pressure loss due to my remote oil filter lines. I might need to go to bigger 10AN lines rather than 8 perhaps.

Leave a comment:

• mizone
    replied
    Hmm low oil pressure at idle I thought was a 5.7 only thing.

Good to see it all working out well and running :-)

Leave a comment:

• 68RNR
    replied
    Gents!
    sorry for not posting anything yet. Been a busy couple of days! Dragged the car back up to my folks place now in Eumundi and finally took it for a proper drive. Goes really well and pulls hard. Doesn't have the low down tyre melting factor of the big block, but heaps more on the top end. Dad was pretty impressed hahahah!
    Great day with the Hoff. Bloke knows his stuff, Jesus. Every little issue he just sorted out. I still have a niggling TPS problem that might be a dodgy plug or sensor, so I'll have to try and sort that out. Also fucking power steering pump is leaking again gah!
    I'll be back to work tomorrow so I will upload pics and videos and shit. Thing sounded absolutely nuts on the Dyno. Really happy with how the engine ran. Good to know I didn't fuck anything in the assembly process!!!

When it all warms up my oil pressure is down to about 30psi on idle, so I might look at upgrading to the hellcat oil pump as well. Other than that, shit is awesome!! :D

Leave a comment:

Working...
X