1971 bmw 2002

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just been offered twin stromberg 175's + manifold to suit - i think they're from an E12 520
    '71 BMW 2002 - restoration
    '14 Colorado 4x4 dual cab - reliability

Originally posted by Marv
    my cuts look like they're done by Michael J Fox using a grinder on the end of a pool noodle
    :rotflol:

Comment

yep. they were fitted to the early and were rated at 120hp c/w 100hp for the 2002. They are a bolt different pattern to the SU.

Comment

Originally posted by wagoner View Post
        just been offered twin stromberg 175's + manifold to suit - i think they're from an E12 520
        Thats what mine has

Comment

picked it up this arvo and took it down to get the arse straightened out. should be done by next weekend.
          doors are rusty and it's got a reasonable amount of bog in there. what have people done with them?

also, what's the big red light below the gauges? won't got out engine running.
          it's runs well too btw, it picked up the missing cylinder this arvo. fucking win.

my cuts look like they're done by Michael J Fox using a grinder on the end of a pool noodle

Comment

yeah so i got it's bum fixed, very pleased with the job he did. straightened out really well. he also sectioned the rust at edge of the guard and made up a new piece.

so i started digging around in the front guards. this is what came out.

this is what extensive mud build up does. bottom of the LH front guard is fucked.

This parked in front of me today, belongs to a local guy. Going to have a beer with him on the weekend, he's going to help me out. It's fucking mint.

Comment

Ahhhhh that rust in the front guard. When I discovered that in my old 2002 I threw in the towel and sold it (regret selling it now) Will follow your progress with great interest!
              1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
              1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
              1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
              1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
              And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

Comment

more progress today.
                did a compression test, came up with 150-155 per pot. stoked.
                ripped the bonnet, boot and interior out. the dude with the blue 02 pictured above came around and we talked shit for ages. his 02 is mint, he's also almost finished restoring a 3.0 CSi fuel injected manual. fucking rare as i understand it.

might also have a line on a 2000 frazer nash. rare like rocking horse sheeit.

Comment

feck

pulled out the AC today, it was a dealer fit job and not the prettiest effort i've ever seen. don't think it'll be going back in.

Comment

currently living in france and have a shipping container at my disposal for getting bits back to aus from the UK.
                    got a LH guard and floor pieces from jaymic in the cart along with assorted small plastic & rubber bits.

doors seals etc look like they're cheaper from the US?

any other suggestions of shit i shouldn't miss?

i'm not OCD about keeping it totally original or anything - ie doesn't all need to be genuine BMW.

what have people done about carpets and roof lining? mine were both completely fucked. figured i'd find a trimmer in radelaide?

Comment

The rubber strips between the windows and the doors (outside section).
                      You're right though, anything rubber.
                      You can get it all online from here, but postage is a killer.

From Sunday's BMW Show of Excellence:

Comment

if you could bring back a few getrag 245 gearboxes that'd be fantastic.. i've done some long trips in mine and am about ready to spit the dummy.
                        also the little rubber (foam?) strips the bonnet rests on had decayed - would be worth getting them as well?
                        Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                        Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Potato Head View Post
                          The rubber strips between the windows and the doors (outside section).
                          You're right though, anything rubber.
                          You can get it all online from here, but postage is a killer.

From Sunday's BMW Show of Excellence:
                          Saw your matt black car at the concours. I remembered it from PF.

That CSL behind it was jizz-worthy.
                          "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
                          (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
                          Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

any spare room in the container wagon man?
                            Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
                              That CSL behind it was jizz-worthy.
                              ????

That hunk'o'junk?!?!

The story I heard was that this CSL was actually the one sitting for years in BMW's Bavarian Head Office as their display example. It was fully restored by BMW to original spec, a no-expense restoration.
                              They then found the very last CSL Chassis to roll off the line somewhere, so they bought it, restored it, and put that in their museum.
                              They then auctioned off the CSL which you see above.
                              That Aussie bought it, and got it over here.

Sorry for the phone pics below, but as you can see, you could eat off the engine if you wanted.
                              It was driven there which was cool, and sounded great for a factory setup.

Oh, and it won its class

Comment

Wow!! Now that's a restoration.
                                Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Working...
                                X