My cousin's spastic VN SS

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any update on how you went with insurance?

Comment

He has the car back. Still going through ombudsman about shit, could take another 6 months. Took me 12 months against shannons to win my case.
      CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

Originally posted by FLI355 View Post
        He has the car back. Still going through ombudsman about shit, could take another 6 months. Took me 12 months against shannons to win my case.
        Why did he go with Shannons if you had a bad experience previously?

Comment

yeah wow that's fucked. might be time for me to reconsider my insurance options too
          1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
          The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by FLI355 View Post
            What happened in your case?

Comment

Good to hear he has it back I suppose.

All the best Blake!
              BF XR6T - TE Sedan - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS - VF SS Redline

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Comment

Originally posted by richzx View Post

What happened in your case?
                Can't be fucked typing it all out its a massive long story.
                CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

Hey all,

Actually hadn't posted in here for a while because I needed a new Flickr account!

Had the car on the way to being finished, driving and sitting pretty. Started talking to Marv about a photo shoot. Will post some of my pics when I can be bothered making a new Flickr. We were just hunting down some overheating issues under slow driving and hot idle. Either thermostat or we were thinking actually the water pump couldn't keep up.

Everyone's heard what happened, I'm sure. We all like to think we'd just plow the thing (roo) down, but when you're sitting in something you've just built over a decade, worth more than six figures, instinct takes over. And on an 80 kay road, I didn't want it to take another jump and end up smashing through the windscreen. Could've belted more panels, too. We'll never know. Hindsight. Maybe it was even the sound that provoked it to hop out. If it was quieter... there's no point wondering. Shit happens.

Controlled the brakes as I swerved and counter-steered - but even loaded with the goodness of Group A, it's a fucking VN Commodore at the end of the day. I 'set helm to starboard', would be a more appropriate description.

Clipped a tree on the front right quarter and took a second bounce off on the driver's door. It shoved the steering arm through the rack and broke the steering, pushed the wheel almost into the cabin, millimetres from my foot. Still on the brakes at this point. Had that been the worst of it - no big deal. But that was not to be.

The crushed wheel and inner guard kinked the throttle cable along the firewall and jammed the throttle to 65%. With 965hp, 35% was enough to break traction in the first 4 gears. So even in 5th, the car bounced off one tree, with the throttle jammed, accelerating against the brakes pointed head-on in to another, with no steering.

I just split-second hit the kill switch to shut it off and grabbed the wheel to brace myself. 32G, in case you were wondering. Hit tree #2 head-on, picked the back of the car up and swung it around. Crawled out of the passenger's side. Harness burns courtesy of Simpson's finest FIA Camlock belts (thank you Beth-Anne). Pinched my leg on the lower edge of the seat. Seat was mounted so well it bent the floor. Everywhere there wasn't cage, or bracing, bent or kinked (mainly the floor and centre chassis, being only folded and pressed sheet). Bent the tunnel, tore the gearbox from its mount.

Cage saved me, period. Stopped the roof folding in like a tin can (you can see where it tried to). Stopped the front pillar tearing. Stopped the sills folding. In typical humble style, Dave Miller at Miller Chassis who fabbed it and of course was thanked mercilessly was just like "all good man, that's what you wanted. I just did it to what you wanted."

Those who know me well, know I'm a safety freak. Had the car had a shitty seat, or improper mounting, or poorly mounted belts - I without doubt, wouldn't be here. And I had just replaced these belts - a special one-off order from Simpson and miles better than the cheap FX ones.

I tweaked my neck pretty badly and it took a fair whack of physio and RM to get it on the mend. Otherwise, completely fine.

Appreciate the good words - and also hearing how much the car means to a lot of people. Couldn't help but laugh at some of the doubters and the "no way that hit a tree @ 80" comments. Gotta love the keyboard experts. It was probably around 90.

Thankfully, the shell of the car and majority of the body - once again thanks to the cage - is nowhere near as bad as it looks, and I've already started fixing it up. It does need a pressed pillar panel, and they're hard to find, so I need to do some research. A few panels, too, as you'd expect. It may be cheaper to buy a donor shitbox to cut up.

Majorly though, I'll be doing what I wanted to all along, and cutting the bent floor out to build a decent chassis for it. Front-end & k-frame geometry will be entirely re-done, everything from the firewall inclusive with a removable centre clip (COTF-esque), and I've got some awesome old Perkins Supercars gear from Jack (and Kelly Racing) to make the car actually handle, turn and stop a hell of a lot better than the VN stuff ever would have; while most importantly improving safety even more. High-side Racetechs, too.

As for Shannons - imagine going through all that in your pride and joy, and then being bullied, harassed and harangued. Made out like you are a fool. Tried to have your story changed. Demanded to provide the (BELOW) unrelated information - within 1 week - and just for good measure insinuating you are holding up the claim, after months of radio silence from them.

Then imagine you provide ALL of that. Every. Single. Piece. Because if you don't - they have reason to reject your claim, which is why they ask for it in the first place. Not everyone is as OCD as me to retain this kind of information, and others are forced to give up on their claim. If it's not provided - sorry, you aren't cooperating and they have grounds to reject.

I showed them the damn car on the cover of Street Commodores Magazine. They still didn't give a F. They tried catching me out by requesting the original receipt - 15 years old - from when I purchased it, thinking I wouldn't be able to. Trying to claim I didn't own the car - despite my rego papers etc. Not only did I provide the receipt, I provided the original owner's registration papers, CTP information and their rego receipts. But they would not relent.

They had it forensically investigated - with bits of the damn tree still embedded in it. The car was freshly built, thankfully, and no silly buggers had been had. No skid marks (only the fronts), no rubber under the guards, no feathered tyres, not doing anything stupid. Still, they insisted on not paying. They investigated me, personally. Tried contacting my family. Followed me, video taped me, recorded me.

I specifically warned Shannons, also, that if word ever got out online about them stuffing me around (from someone ELSE), it would end badly for them due to the reach / story / history of the car.

So what did they do? After refusing to let me see my own car. Let some rando in to snap a photo and post it online. I'm sure that worked out handsomely for them.

Didn't matter. They saw a number on a page - a figure they agreed to - that come hell or high water, they were not going to pay. I literally had to take the case to the Commission (ASIC) and within 24 hours it was accepted. They couldn't care less about the Ombudsman.

The ongoing complaint also involves (after calling them out on their BS) them re-valuing the car up to 8 times to try and screw me as much as possible in getting it back, and trying to sell it to buyers / automotive workshops before the claim was even done. This is after I said I wanted it back and made offers to buy it, purely for sentimental reasons alone, mind you.

But hey. Insurance for motoring enthusiasts.

It only took that viral picture to finally get 3/4 of my money out of them, and my car back. The other 1/4 and legal case is still ongoing.

BS by B&E 355, on Flickr
                  Last edited by BLO 767; 22-10-19, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Also, huge thanks to Marv who was such an asset, help and genuine top mofo of a bloke throughout the process.

Comment

under a very different set of circumstances, but your shannons story is eerily similar to one that one of my good mates is currently in the middle of. his shit was stolen and burnt out, but he's going through the same sort of bullshit in regard to the irrelevant information and their complete unwillingness to pay out. they go to court early next year.
                      Originally posted by Mr Jones
                      Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

That is proper cunty.

Comment

Originally posted by lysdexia View Post
                          under a very different set of circumstances, but your shannons story is eerily similar to one that one of my good mates is currently in the middle of. his shit was stolen and burnt out, but he's going through the same sort of bullshit in regard to the irrelevant information and their complete unwillingness to pay out. they go to court early next year.
                          Lost count of the number of stories I've heard.

And like... it's irrelevant enough for my case, let alone a theft. And yeah, the swedes ruin it, but there's a pretty clear line between dodgy and legit.

I thought that to myself initially. As in... How dumb do you think I am? If I wanted to insurance job a car, I'd make it go missing. Do you think I would be stupid enough to hand you a car loaded with evidence, inclusive of a highly specific data logging system?

THEN, I heard the same stories. People who had cars and property stolen, and them requesting pre-theft photos and videos etc. One even went as far as them requesting not only all phone records, but addresses of who each number was and what each call and message involved.

Comment

Who are the alternatives in the market? I've got 2 old dattos and this scares me.

Comment

Wow that looks like the sort of thing that comes back from a bank when they're looking for ways to decline your loan.

Good luck with the rest of it....
                              Find your Freedom
                              Home Loans | Car Loans | Investment Portfolios | Property Management
                              www.FreedomFunding.com.au
                              www.ProgressiveProperty.com.au

Click for PF Loans
                              If you're thinking of buying, or that you may be paying too much on your home loan PM me for a no obligation chat!

Comment

Holy shit! What a horror story! After all you went through losing 10 years of hard work! Hope you finally get the justice you deserve, and none of it goes to lawyers.

Comment

Working...
                                X