Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My cousin's spastic VN SS

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by BLO 767 View Post

    Lost count of the number of stories I've heard.

    And like... it's irrelevant enough for my case, let alone a theft. And yeah, the swedes ruin it, but there's a pretty clear line between dodgy and legit.

    I thought that to myself initially. As in... How dumb do you think I am? If I wanted to insurance job a car, I'd make it go missing. Do you think I would be stupid enough to hand you a car loaded with evidence, inclusive of a highly specific data logging system?

    THEN, I heard the same stories. People who had cars and property stolen, and them requesting pre-theft photos and videos etc. One even went as far as them requesting not only all phone records, but addresses of who each number was and what each call and message involved.
    I had a GSXR1000 stolen in 2005 while I was living in South Melbourne. They assigned a PI who went through my life with a fine tooth comb for months, even interviewing my parents elderly neighbours 50km away. Eventually paid up but was a fucked process that I’ll never forget.

    Comment


      I have watched this thread with interest and have massive amounts of respect for the work that was put into the car and want to say how glad I am that the driver is able to tell us the story.

      The build quality on this car was second to none and was done with the highest standards in mind. In my experience this is not always the case.

      Respectfully, might I ask what was the nature of the policy that you had with Shannons?

      The reason that I ask is that from my understanding as it was presented in the photos would not have been roadworthy or able to be certified under VSB14 for normal road use.

      I am not trying to start an argument, though it may seem like that.

      Rather I am trying to offer an alternate perspective that regardless of the quality of the work, there are limitations to what is suitable for road use. The rules around this are rather well documented and while you may disagree, I as I hear often, it is black and white and not open to interpretation.

      That as an insurance company Shannons wants to ensure that they are understanding the risk that they face in insuring a vehicle and potentially paying out. This is well within their rights.

      It does not take a crystal ball to see that if any insurance company, not just Shannons, decided to pay out policies in full without ensuring that the holder was with the bound of the policy we would all be driving out shit box project cars into the nearest river after bumping up the agreed value.

      I feel for the owner, as a car guy I understand the effort that has gone into the build.

      The reality is that as impressive as it was, unless I am missing something the car was never going to be legal on the road.

      Shit happens but I am not sure that Shannons (or insert other insurance company) is the bad guy here.

      I have a feeling that I fallen off the bandwagon and I am about to get run over, but such is the way of things.
      If I have got it wrong or misrepresented the situation please call me out, I have a thick skin.

      I have though long and hard about making these comments and feel that an alternate perspective needs to be given.

      Education and growth comes from contested discussion, not echo chambers were we get to hear our own thoughts repeated.

      Moral courage and the willingness to challenge our views against popular sentiment (without being triggered or offended) is now a myth rather than a trait that we aim instill in our children.

      Cheers
      Paul (Fully aware that I sound like a pretentious twat but also happy to have people tell me why I am wrong)

      Comment


        Originally posted by CA18escort View Post

        Shit happens but I am not sure that Shannons (or insert other insurance company) is the bad guy here.
        There's protecting a legal/commercial contract, and then there's being a devious pack of cunts. And Shannons fall into the latter here.

        Comment


          Originally posted by CA18escort View Post
          I have watched this thread with interest and have massive amounts of respect for the work that was put into the car and want to say how glad I am that the driver is able to tell us the story.

          The build quality on this car was second to none and was done with the highest standards in mind. In my experience this is not always the case.

          Respectfully, might I ask what was the nature of the policy that you had with Shannons?

          The reason that I ask is that from my understanding as it was presented in the photos would not have been roadworthy or able to be certified under VSB14 for normal road use.

          I am not trying to start an argument, though it may seem like that.

          Rather I am trying to offer an alternate perspective that regardless of the quality of the work, there are limitations to what is suitable for road use. The rules around this are rather well documented and while you may disagree, I as I hear often, it is black and white and not open to interpretation.

          That as an insurance company Shannons wants to ensure that they are understanding the risk that they face in insuring a vehicle and potentially paying out. This is well within their rights.

          It does not take a crystal ball to see that if any insurance company, not just Shannons, decided to pay out policies in full without ensuring that the holder was with the bound of the policy we would all be driving out shit box project cars into the nearest river after bumping up the agreed value.

          I feel for the owner, as a car guy I understand the effort that has gone into the build.

          The reality is that as impressive as it was, unless I am missing something the car was never going to be legal on the road.

          Shit happens but I am not sure that Shannons (or insert other insurance company) is the bad guy here.

          I have a feeling that I fallen off the bandwagon and I am about to get run over, but such is the way of things.
          If I have got it wrong or misrepresented the situation please call me out, I have a thick skin.

          I have though long and hard about making these comments and feel that an alternate perspective needs to be given.

          Education and growth comes from contested discussion, not echo chambers were we get to hear our own thoughts repeated.

          Moral courage and the willingness to challenge our views against popular sentiment (without being triggered or offended) is now a myth rather than a trait that we aim instill in our children.

          Cheers
          Paul (Fully aware that I sound like a pretentious twat but also happy to have people tell me why I am wrong)
          Heya mate, not at all offended and happy to endorse some devil's advocate. Unfortunately, conversing with the level of respect and transparency you have just displayed, was something not afforded to me during this process.

          Shannons was Full Comprehensive with Agreed Value and Extreme Limited Use - as the car was only going to be driven probably once a month - and the car was (and still is) fully road registered with a certified / tested braking system. Thankfully it's too old for the WOVR.

          Shannons poured over all of the mods, rego - and value of the car - initially and were happy to agree to create a policy for it. And I can guarantee you, it wasn't the mods they had an issue with after all of this, it was the value. They just didn't wanna pay, what they agreed that it was worth. And are happy to create policies, knowing that they will most likely never have to back them up (Suncorp spec). Just because you are 'insured', doesn't mean you're actually insured, when it has to count. Even after I proved I paid almost double the policy value in building it - and the rest - no dice.

          I'm not gonna say the car would be mod-plated in a second (it has welded intrusions and cat deletes for example) but compared to all the metal mountain through bonnet, throw-togethers around...

          Keep in mind too, that this also applies to 100% stock cars, with flood damage, hail damage, thefts, damage during typical use (not extreme limited). It's rampant in this industry, and of course, AAI / Suncorp / Shannons top the list.

          You can read more about it here from ASIC:

          https://download.asic.gov.au/media/5...-4july2019.pdf
          Last edited by BLO 767; 23-10-19, 09:55 AM.

          Comment


            That’s shit! They’ve paid out/started repairs within a week for me- this is scary to read
            Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
            Memes are only detectable by NSA.

            Comment


              Having been investigated for a very small scale house insurance claim by an unrelated insurer previously I am not surprised by any behaviour of the industry as a whole. I had a retaining wall collapse due to flooding in an investment property built in 1968, and the claim was rejected after the insurance company independently requested an engineering report that the wall was not built to the industry standard of 1979. No shit. All over a repair that ended up being $1000. It made me sell that property - because presumably the whole house wasn't built to the standards of 1979 and any future claim would be automatically rejected. Not a patch on your story but it makes me wonder on the nature of the industry!

              All mine are with Shannons but I've never had to actually make a claim. What are the alternatives these days?

              Comment


                No see, that's the scary thing. MY story isn't even a patch on OTHER stories going around. I'm a vehicle builder by trade, and it's just a car. Anything can be fixed with enough time, a welder and a grinder.

                People have lost entire houses, lives, entire fundamental basis of their lives destroyed, and Suncorp have still tried to pull this shit.

                It fucking sucks.

                And of course, they questioned why I never had insurance before. Never had anything worth insuring, but good to know this is how the process goes, so I'll scarcely bother again!

                Apparently some place called "Enthusiast Insurance" or something, who was started by the OG Shannons guys.

                The most ironic thing is that people always search for the 'motoring enthusiast insurers' for 'modified cars'. But as said, even if you're actually insured with them and they'll accept you, doesn't mean you're insured for when it counts. Oft-times you'd be better off saving the money for if anything ever does happen. It's a real catch 22.
                Last edited by BLO 767; 23-10-19, 10:16 AM.

                Comment


                  This is verrrrrry bad PR for Shitcannons.
                  Originally posted by TK
                  may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

                  Comment


                    This is what I went with NRMA vintage and classic for the SV5000 and the Group A. Plus it was 60% of the rate shannons wanted.

                    Shannons will do whatever it takes to try and avoid paying a claim. I had them basically stalk me, make up lies about what I said, got experts to try and discredit me. I still won.
                    CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

                    Comment


                      You guys need to watch The Laundromat on Netflix.

                      Has an anecdote about insurance industry in it... will make sense of the insurance company mentality in this thread.
                      There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences.

                      When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators.

                      Sheriff Buford T. Justice: "SHUDDUP, ONE SHIT AT A TIME!"

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by BLO 767 View Post
                        Apparently some place called "Enthusiast Insurance" or something, who was started by the OG Shannons guys.
                        Thanks for that. I've applied for a quote from them. I think I broke their system by listing about 40 modifications and requesting an agreed value of $20,000 on a Mini Panelvan but they might come around.

                        Comment


                          What a cunt act to be put through all that shit...got me concerned now if I ever have an issue.

                          Made some not at-fault claims a few years ago no issues at all but wondering what has changed with them if that is how they treat customers.
                          an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by CA18escort View Post
                            I have watched this thread with interest and have massive amounts of respect for the work that was put into the car and want to say how glad I am that the driver is able to tell us the story.

                            The build quality on this car was second to none and was done with the highest standards in mind. In my experience this is not always the case.

                            Respectfully, might I ask what was the nature of the policy that you had with Shannons?

                            The reason that I ask is that from my understanding as it was presented in the photos would not have been roadworthy or able to be certified under VSB14 for normal road use.

                            I am not trying to start an argument, though it may seem like that.

                            Rather I am trying to offer an alternate perspective that regardless of the quality of the work, there are limitations to what is suitable for road use. The rules around this are rather well documented and while you may disagree, I as I hear often, it is black and white and not open to interpretation.

                            That as an insurance company Shannons wants to ensure that they are understanding the risk that they face in insuring a vehicle and potentially paying out. This is well within their rights.

                            It does not take a crystal ball to see that if any insurance company, not just Shannons, decided to pay out policies in full without ensuring that the holder was with the bound of the policy we would all be driving out shit box project cars into the nearest river after bumping up the agreed value.

                            I feel for the owner, as a car guy I understand the effort that has gone into the build.

                            The reality is that as impressive as it was, unless I am missing something the car was never going to be legal on the road.

                            Shit happens but I am not sure that Shannons (or insert other insurance company) is the bad guy here.

                            I have a feeling that I fallen off the bandwagon and I am about to get run over, but such is the way of things.
                            If I have got it wrong or misrepresented the situation please call me out, I have a thick skin.

                            I have though long and hard about making these comments and feel that an alternate perspective needs to be given.

                            Education and growth comes from contested discussion, not echo chambers were we get to hear our own thoughts repeated.

                            Moral courage and the willingness to challenge our views against popular sentiment (without being triggered or offended) is now a myth rather than a trait that we aim instill in our children.

                            Cheers
                            Paul (Fully aware that I sound like a pretentious twat but also happy to have people tell me why I am wrong)
                            Give this man a cookie, proper well said there good sir.

                            Comment


                              Sorry to see what happened, but glad you came out ok health wise. As like a lot of blokes on here, I’m with Shannon’s too. I’ve heard some pretty good stories about the, but the cars weren’t highly modified and it was 10years ago now. I think I will look at the others just mentioned.
                              "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

                              Comment


                                NRMA is royally fucking me with an LSA VF R8 Clubbie, was thinking of going to across to Shannons Insurance. Thanks to this thread, that won't be an option....
                                The older i get, the better i was...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X