Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't hold out on us bros.
    BF XR6T - TE Sedan - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS - VF SS Redline

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Comment

Carbon fibre tubs..not behd!

What panel shop you going to? Paint or wrap again?
      an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Comment

He's doing the panel work himself and then i'm trying to convince him to paint. Even if its a rushed closed door job I can make it look a million bucks.
        CAD Automotive Paint Correction, like us on the faceballs. Discounts on all detailing and ceramic coatings for PF members

Comment

I've been meaning to update this.

About to fab a chassis jig to plonk the body on. Nothing fancy, just a level table frame to lay the rails and cut the floor out of, ready for new chassis build.

Seats are done and they look I N S A N E. Couldn't be happier with Racetech and their service, and craftsmanship.

As said, most body parts are ready to be mounted. Then cut the floor out to re-do, fab the front-end and get it rolling again.

Been trying to get a hold of Pace in QLD to get some pre-fab chassis pieces, but no luck so far!

Gearbox getting a quick service while it's out, too. Nothing too in depth. Fucking Germans, of course, build this incredibly beautiful gearbox that you need to be a rocket scientist with Bruce Wayne's next-level access to tools to be able to pull it apart and put back together.

Still undecided on paint. Wrap is cheap and easy to do at home, which I'll do just to get it driving again - and 75% of the car is still perfect. But I'll probably paint it long term and can do that any time as Craig said, close door. Lay some colour on and go from there while the magician does his magic.

Originally posted by Blow View Post
          Any luck chasing down bits?

Best bet from the looks of it would be to get a whole shell, or even a decent front cut with complete pillars.
          Originally posted by fnlow View Post
          Blake, firstly, really glad you're alive to tell the tale. sounds like a fitting testament to the quality of your build.

secondly, fuck insurance companies.

thirdly, great to see you're back into it.

finally, are there any bits in particular you are chasing? Put up a shopping list and we (PF) can help find it.
          Hey guys,

Cheers much for the kind words and Sherlock offers for parts! I've got most of the body parts I need. Enough to assemble - soon! But some are harder to find, than others. There's an entire stamped driver's door frame and sill section that is NOS which would be handy (not mandatory). But can't find one in all of Aus (even the Perkins guys came up short for the longest time when they needed one last year) so I've just cut the entire front lower pillar out of another VN in the meantime, as that's the only one that was toast. Should do the job nicely.

The shell itself actually isn't that bad at all - thanks to the cage and seam welding. Mostly cosmetic bolt ons. And there's so many mods in this shell, that I'd have to hack up another body anyway to replicate. To fit the driveline and make the car properly low is a proverbial laundry list of shitbits that need doing.

Killing two birds that mostly only the limitations of the VN body / chassis design - particularly underneath - are what was damaged, and need to be repaired (and thus improved).
          Last edited by BLO 767; 17-02-20, 05:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BLO 767 View Post
            Still undecided on paint. Wrap is cheap and easy to do at home, which I'll do just to get it driving again - and 75% of the car is still perfect. But I'll probably paint it long term and can do that any time as Craig said, close door. Lay some colour on and go from there while the magician does his magic.
            i wouldn't wrap anything that was intended to be kept long term. the wrap is faded and fucked after a couple of years, and when you remove it the car is covered in glue that often needs a bare metal respray to remove properly. i wouldn't risk it.
            Originally posted by Mr Jones
            Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

Comment

If you need bits and can't source them there's a lad here that owes me a favour or two and has a few base model ones in his paddock.

If you go with wrap let me know I'm really tempted to get a new guard/bonnet and the new front bar done. I think I mentioned in my thread I want to get it all painted but will need to save some $ to do it all.

Wrap is a temp idea just to make it look the part for the time. My painter mate is too lazy to do anything so I've gotta source the whole car else where...

Good to see bulk progress on it

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Comment

I'm definitely doing it short term too, so let me know if you need any insights - I have the exact colour code / brand that matches Atlas to the point people have tried telling me mine isn't wrapped. Need to buy more and hoping the printing still matches, actually!

Originally posted by lysdexia View Post

i wouldn't wrap anything that was intended to be kept long term. the wrap is faded and fucked after a couple of years, and when you remove it the car is covered in glue that often needs a bare metal respray to remove properly. i wouldn't risk it.
                Haha, I'm already there. But it's the pre-prep, wrap quality and process that helps a lot. Making sure the panel is surgically glass flat and clean beforehand, and industrially steaming upon removal.

Wrap on this is 5 - 6 years old. I've pulled some sections off for the repair of course, and it's mostly fine. Avery make a special solvent (it's just some kind of esterised alcohol I believe) to remove the glue. A sign-writer's saviour.

However, important to note the car hasn't seen the weather or sun to any great extent, so I wouldn't call my experience typical.

By far the worst part when wrapping an acrylic car like the VN, is that you risk tearing the paint off when removing. Did do on the crushed front door, as you might imagine! Straight to the primer. I also did that to the roof when I wrapped it years ago (typical thin faded 90s roof paint) and it was always on the list of things to fix, which I've now done.

Comment

Yeah bro I might just do that. I got a wrap guy down here so I can pass that on him and get that shit done.
                  Might just do that even.
                  Or did I misinterpret that and you've got your own machine/stuff you use?

I read your reply on lysdexia. I didn't even know it was wrapped! Did a decent job of it then.

Comment

Cheers, there were some bits and pieces here and there to fix, but for the most part I spent so much time on the pre-wrap details that most of the pro's don't even do. It takes twice as long but the results are worth it.

No just basic tools but the wrap itself is not off the shelf 3M stuff most use. It's a particular Oracal design and colour. You need it to match all the door jambs and bay etc, however, otherwise you can clearly tell it's wrapped where you see the colour end on the panel. Most greys are either too silver or too charcoal. You need that blue tinted grey with a golden metallic that Atlas has. For the longest time - and I think still - 3M only made 1 grey colour and it's basically dark silver. Most other brands including Oracal had about 16 different greys alone.

As you can imagine, I got samples of every one and spent ages trying to match it exactly LOL!

Comment

Yeah dam!
                      I'm only thinking of doing the front bits and that bob tail anyway so you'd think they'd be able to hide it and won't be so noticeable? Or it has to be all done or stands out?

Comment

100% hidden unless you really look close. My front bar wasn't done, only the top edge and front lip. Neither were the rear bar edges.

Comment

Working...
                        X