1jz-gte + ra28 = skids

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another quick ebay trawl and a few hundred later and i had myself a bar and plate intercooler on the way from sydney and then i had to find some alloy and a silicone to make my intercooler piping from, i wanted to do as much welding as possible and and do all my bends out of alloy.

instead of mandrel bends i desided on tight donuts for all the practice,

welded some 90* with straights with a bead on the end onto the cooler to join my silicone straights.

and the same for my turbo, i have had dramas on my silvia where the silicone becomes brittle being so close to the manifold and splits, just wanted to avoid that happening again!!!

intercooler mounted and first side of the cooler piping done, minus hose clamps

as im shore you can gues this little part took a bit of time, i actually cut as much as i could off the throtle because every CM counts haha but im really chuffed with how it looks and hopefully it will work well.

i used a 4x6x9" K&N pod filter autobarn special, cooler works even at idle a hand on each side and you can really feel how much heat is washed off over the core, anyhoooow enough for another night.

next will be gauges and probably trans cooler, cheers Glenn.
    1JZ RA28 (yoshi) the toymotor sillycar
    http://performanceforums.com/forums/...gte-ra28-skids
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

when i started looking for gauges i wanted something that had also had warning lights or buzzers , not because im an idiot but it is much easier to see a flashing red light when you are on full boost in some spirited steering than it is to see a needle moving 1cm around a gauge that is 2" round! i ended up finding a websight for a company called speed hut gauges in the US and Ayyzzzzz who have a series called revolution, they are all electronic gauges with "military grade transducer senders" wank wank, and duel stepper motor pointers and have built in settable high / low warning LED's with an output on the back for an aditional light/buzzer! another cool thing is you can pick from there preset faces plates/numbers/pointers/backlights e.t.c or you can customise your order to include logoes or pictures or change any of the above, i think they look good so i went with it, cant be as bad as autometer where you are just paying for a name i have seen them a long way from accurate, and as for something like VDO which i have found to be great but very plain, this was what i hope to be a happy medium.

remember this will be wraped or fiberglassed and painted.

the gauges are from left to right, fuel level, water temp, oil pressure, verticaly from top to bottom charge light "i think" then engine warning and handbrake, back across to speedo (0-200kmh with the toyota logo on it ) usual factory indicators and high beam, then tacho (0-10K with progressive shit lights up the right side and the TRD logo on it ) then a bigger shift light up to the right, and on to the all important BOOSTS

i think i will order more for the centre console as i now need trans temp and could always use volts and or engine oil temp.

quick one of them at night with the blue back light, steering wheel is in the way but you get the idea.

wating on a trans cooler atm but will post up the fitting of that when i get to it

also i have a stock computer for now but i moved the diagnostics plug, igniter and relays all in under the dash so when i was changing the loom i made the joins for the injecters and coils right at the computer instead of out on the engine so when i go to an aftermarket computer i can easly go sequential for both was thinking a platnem sport 2000 or a vipec v88.
      200B wagon
      LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

As for the diff workshop next to us was wrecking a VP wagon so i took the BW78 and all thr handbrake setup and the tailshaft still need to have it shortened, LSD rebuilt and tightened, billet axles with 4 stud conversion, rebuild calipers, 4.11:1 gears or something higher than 3.08:1, have a tailshaft made, bla bla bla you get the point, M&A wanted $3700! diff docter wanted $3500 and sothern diffs $2700 and he was defenatly the easiest to talk to and actualy went through it with me not just blow me off (no homo) so i think he will get my money (remember this when i have a rant later!)

work got a bit slow this arvo so i desided to "practice" my welding in a useful way and make myself a recovery system for the radiator overflow out of some left over pipe from my intercooler gear and some 3mm sheet i had and a billet cap from a workshop close by (mr jones the homo)

turned up the fitting on the base myself and will have to make some threded sections to weld on tomorrow, i marked where they had to go when i got gome today so should be easy!

shot from the top

should look the goods when its all polished up

after having a bit of a look tonight at what i can do for my rocker cover breathers i think i will do some -8 fittings towards the back of the engine and make a catch can from 2.5" pipe roughly the hight of the radiator at the front of the engine

i have started with my 2.5" offcut of intercooler pipe i have left over and ran the drop saw through it a few times i think i will do one more cut/baffle before i weld it all up.

i will be making the baffles horizontal in the vertical tube, just an example they go all the way to the other side of the pipe and one neat well around the outside will hold it in place,

and i also started on the rocker covers removing the old breather off the edge of the cover and turning up a small peace of alloy to weld in its place,

the idea is to make it a bit higher than the cover weld it in and grind it back so you can never tell it was even there that is the idea anyway ill see how i go! i managed to get my hands on an old datto 200b wagon that has been taking my time to get it running as a daily "more work than i expected" but thats just an excuse so i got the old breather welded up and ground back and the new -8 fittings welded on.

more soonish
        200B wagon
        LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Soooo... i looked into all glass and getting an interior done and paint and desided it was all to hard and gave up... jks, jks, but i did buy a mad RA28! and now im going to put everything into that!

cought a bus to melbourne and had a look, and it had no big oil leaks and factory A/C! (will be selling engine, gearbox and A/C) drove well gearbox didnt crunch and had no bumps squeaks or rattles to worry about (owner was an elderly lady, PERFECT! haha) good tyres what more can i say! it has a few small rust bubbels but all in all it is in very good condition!

drove the car all the way back from melbourn to canberra with no hickups! and it was very good on fuel, didnt overheat or use oil! but when i got back to canberra the next day i noticed a small oil stain on the driveway , soon as i stuck my head under her (sits like a 4x4 atm) i could see the weep hole in the bellhousing was dripping so could only be one thing REAR MAIN haha $7 part and a few hours later after work that day and she was all fixed! with thanks to seb for helping with the unbelivably heavy gearbag.

and as it is with everything i buy SOMETHING has to go wrong! got a rego inspection done (passed with flying colours) all good! then i go to belconnen shopfront and wate an hour like you always have to do (expected this) then the girl behind the counter tells me the VIN number for the car dosent match the plates! i replyed with the car is pre VIN it has a CHASSIS NUMBER and she basicaly told me to bad, so sad! numbers dont match either way,

so after trying to find the number she wanted me to find on the car anywhere (without any luck, even tho i could find the chassis number in 3 different places on the car) i desided to make a few phone calls, after spending more than 2 hours on the phone explaning my situation to about a million and eight people they finally desided i needed an ID. check at DICKSON!!!

so i made my booking (today and had the check) old mate at rego gave me a wrap on the car and told me how cool and well mantained it was! and the reason i had all the trouble in the first place was because some numpty at VIC roads forgot or didnt put in the chassis number in the first place so they had to give it a number and thats where the number noone could find came from, so i can only hope they are that happy when i go back with the 1jz in it haha i dont like my chances tho.

tomorrow i will try going back to canberra connect with my mountain of paperwork with ten thousand stamps and sigantures and hopefully all will be well and i can order my plates and start swapping all the gear over into the RA28 (i mean drive it around as a stock car, lol yes the car is being engineered eventualy).

also i got a heap of gear from wightline yesterday! was like Xmas

AE86 front adj swaybar
          RA23/28 strut brace with quick lock bolts
          RA23/28 adj panhard rod
          RA23/28 rear adj swaybar (backorder)

and a big ass sticker for my toolbox

AND AFTER ALL THAT I GOT REGO!! haha winning stupid charge light flashing on and off now so guess ill have to fix that... or start my engine swap sooner have to wait 4-6 weeks for my plates to be made and the temp plates i was given ended in 66G so i got i big speal about how god lovers will think its like 666 and i dont have to take them if i dont want :S haha, was a mission but i got there in the end!

MORE SOONISH... cheers, Glenn.
          200B wagon
          LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

that ra28 looks mint! what a find.

Comment

That centre console that matched the interior looked nice :D
              Originally posted by RVK 355
              Hold it flat cunt

Comment

Thanks crack, and Mat... Fuck you haha, I should mention when doing the rear main and pulling the gearbox out I snapped the centre console plastics (everything is so brittle) so it has a black/grey centre console in it now
                200B wagon
                LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Great thread mate, great find, almost too good to mod!
                  Originally posted by thebluerx7
                  The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Almost haha lucky I did it then :D few people got a bit of sand in there vaginas, but... I'm ok lol

Cheers, Glenn.
                    200B wagon
                    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

I've read this thread a few times over the last couple of weeks and kept thinking WTF is this cunt on about there's no RA28 here. Last post cleared that one up, thanks :knock:

Look forward to the next installment

Comment

few new bits and pieces to report, always to long between jumping on here.

trans cooler, yet to mount.

4 runner non ABS 1" master next to the factory 7/8 stock unit

mounted but needs lines made, will do all brake lines when i get my diff back (braded parts also)

ordered seats

i asked about putting the battery and fuel system in the spair wheel well in the boot, BUT because it is open to the cab (no rear firewall/seat and parcel shelf) i would have to plate over the top and vent it to atmos under the car e.t.c, so no fuel vapor can make it into the cab.

dropped my diffs off to craig at southern diffs today with my list of needs and wants, along with some money to get the ball rolling haha(THIS PART WAS A FUCKING MISTAKE!!!) should be done within a few weeks and he wants the car with the engine in it :S so if im going to put the 1j in the 28 i will have a lot of work ahead in the next few weeks! need to do a fuel system e.t.c so, yeah...

southern diffs called to say i could come and inspect his work and when i went in there was still an invoice from M & A stuck on the housing! didnt get to see his price tho... but i probably didnt want but lol.

still havent started on the seat rails yet but a few other parts have shown up like the coils and sleves, i eneded up ordering from otomoto a 51mm sleve kit with 7kg mm springs the only problem was he didnt have spacers and top hats to match the 51mm springs only like 55mm or something so i got them anyway and just have a mate turn them down on his laith

and last but not least i "fixed" my fuel gauge that seemed to be very intermittent.

and buy fix i mean make work once then get stranded halfway up the parkway on a hill because i ran out of fuel... on my lunchbrake... on a very busy day... when the boss was having a shit day... need i say any more? figured out that the 7volt reg for the dash was fucked! so all the gauges where reading high and yeah...

thats all for tonight,

cheers, Glenn
                        200B wagon
                        LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Originally posted by Instigator View Post
                          I've read this thread a few times over the last couple of weeks and kept thinking WTF is this cunt on about there's no RA28 here. Last post cleared that one up, thanks :knock:

Look forward to the next installment
                          So the pics of the finished car in the first post didn't clue you up?
                          Originally posted by RVK 355
                          Hold it flat cunt

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Jones View Post
                            So the pics of the finished car in the first post didn't clue you up?
                            lol
                            200B wagon
                            LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

iv had a shithouse week! not to have a winge, but im gonna! as i was leaving work to go to the doc's because i need to have a knee surgery this wednesday (no working on cars for a possible 6 weeks!) walked outside to THIS at work!

Some D!*k jockey reversed into the RA28!!!
                              Then on the way back form the hospital trying to get into the car my phone fell out of my pocket and smashed the screen out of it, lol

anyhoooo... so now im looking for a fiberglass chin spoiler

and in some better news my order of, front and rear shocks, rear springs and some gland nuts for the front xt130 front shock tubes
                              showed up on friday to capital steering and suspension so i used my lunchbrake to get them today

part numbers for all to see!

KMFL04 gemini low rear springs

i will have to get some pictures of the shocks (shocks are shocks nothing looks very different) i got some,

*KONI MR2 SW20 rear adjustable shocks to use in the front tubes *part NO- 8641 1221SPORT (yes i understand i will have to shorten the shock tubes to hold it captive but thats ok!

*KONI HZ rear adjustable shocks for the rear with the gemmi springs and custom mounts on a custom diff so ill make it work haha

so ill see how it all goes once i can walk and work on cars again

(this all happened a while ago and im just pulling the good bits from my other thread)

I put my name down for a set of cheep steelies to test offsets, can always sell them on if I don't like them sizes are 15x8 0 offset and 15x10 0 offset

It's so annoying to be so close to my car all day and not be able to even work on it my knee is the size of a rockmelon and keeping me from doing anything!

this is a bad photo but you can kinda see the swelling I had to change my compression bandage

more soon cunts

cheers, Glenn.
                              200B wagon
                              LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

giving the card a workout while im stuck on the couch i even started wrighting a list of things i have bought so i would remember if they had shown up lol

bought myself some,
                                *Gauges for the centre console (in front of the shifter, below sterio) trans temp and an exhaust gas temp again from speedhut (CUSTOM gauges, so far would recomend to EVERYONE! havent had a drama yet fingers crossed and quick shipping)

*steel wheels, from grizzly imports (fronts 15x8 et 0, rears 15x10 et 0 at usual 4x114.3)

*camber tops (front T3 RA28/23)
                                *role centre adjusters (T3 straight, not neg camber ones but might regret that later)with some of Sebs stuff

*fender mirrors (Egay spesh, probably end up in the bin lol)

*chin spoiler (thanks Phil "celica28" for putting me onto Mitch "ra23celica" who was willing to sell me his spare!)

*Garrett turbo beanie (from GCG)

*V band 3" for my dump pipe (turnes out the nut they give you with them is truly a one use item it took all the thread off the clamp when i untightened it)
                                *Silicone hose (from JNT few bits and peaces like BOV still need to plumb up)

i will get the dump done in ceramic coating but as for the wrap i have been told condensation build up in the wrap with the hot cold cycles and washing engine all that causes rust BADLY and eats through the mettle fast! but this is just what i have been told...

Picked up my new diff and started pulling everything out of the RA28 in preparation for the 1JZ!

I was going to send the 23 with the new diff and 1j to have tailshaft and handbrake cables made but now I have dicided to throw it into the 28 and have it done properly incase shock mounts and tailshaft leingths where different, because that would suck!

Will keep you updated, Cheers Glenn.
                                200B wagon
                                LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Working...
                                X