1jz-gte + ra28 = skids

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So got a bit done yesterday, so basically removed everything from the 28!

Managed to get it out myself was going to going to get a hand from Seb in the arvo but I'm inpatient!

Everything out to make way for the 1JZ powerhouse and the rack and pinion!
    All 3 of my toys together, the engine on the hoist is the 1J sorry about the bad picks I dropped my phone the other day and hasn't been the same lol

fuck 1j's iv got a hova leeka!

Engine almost ready to go into its new home, just want to paint the x member and put few new bushes in the under the car 2! Ended the night on a low when I fell down the stairs in the shed lucky I had seb over because I was in a lot of pain with my knee it sorta just gave way under me so I'm really hoping I haven't RE-damaged the joint! FFS!!!!!

lots of playing with the wire wheel on my drill and black paint today got all the x member and lower controle arms taken back and painted, new boots and tie rods for my rack, all installed in the car.

ordered some nolathane traling arm bushes, inner LCA's bushes and radius rod bushes fiured might just replace everything while its all apart (do it once do it right) because the 35yr old bushes probably wont apreciate 300hp!

and now the engine is in its new home hopefully for a while this time! at least untill paint or it lets go no such thing as overboost right? and if you have to move from side to side on the car its good to have 2 cans on the go for motivation (untill you have a few lol)

next ill have a look at fuel hard lines before i put the diff back in and send it for tailshaft and handbrake cables, then to work so i can get the boys next door (ACT brakes) to make me some hardlines and make all new braded lines for me.

i borrowed a DIN75L battery form work to see if i could fit it in the spair wheel compartment in the boot but didnt have a lot of luck as it was to tall (even being a euro battery with sunken terminals) so might look into an oddesy battery or something like that (smaller) then start work on a new fuel system for the 28 as the 23 system i made is now no longer good to me keep you all posted.

Cheers, Glenn.
    1JZ RA28 (yoshi) the toymotor sillycar
    http://performanceforums.com/forums/...gte-ra28-skids
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Awesome read. Subscribed for updates. That RA28 was a find...i would love to do one one day. This maybe a stupid question, but with regards to doing the coilovers on a 70s car, how do you know which parts to buy for it? Generally there is no kit for this type of thing.
      Past
      74 260z - MOBY
      00 WRX - JARVIS
      93 Rz Supra - SOUP
      05 Golf GTI
      07 350z Track
      73 240z - Red Car
      13 BRZ
      04 Liberty GT
      10 ISF

Current
      91 SW20 MR2

Comment

I built my own, ill post more about it soon, just at work now (not infront of a computer) on the tools! Try get that bit up tonight (im basically just grabbing the good bits from my other thread atm)

Cheers, Glenn.
        200B wagon
        LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

started with modifying the XT130 strut tubes to accommodate koni adjustable SW20 MR2 shocks (which ment shortening the casings by 42.5mm) then welding an OTOMOTO threaded sleeve on from one of their 7kg coilover kits that I percused while I was stuck on the couch with a bung knee!

Also replacing inner lower control arm bushes, trailing arm bushes and radius rod bushes all on the components ready to be installed tomorrow, those trailing arm bushes took a lot to press out it was maxing out our press I was using 2 arms and swinging off it so much for OH&S.

Starting to come together and I'm getting exited I can't wate to drive the thing! It's been a long while in the process, also took my disks to act brakes today to be skimmed before I put them back together and found out they have to be on the hub for machining so ill have to drop the hubs in tomorrow, keep you posted.

Cheers, Glenn.
          200B wagon
          LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Few more pictures of the progress, its back on the ground now with engine and box in along with new diff, everything is freshly painted and new bushes all round!

Thew some of sebs B45's on the car today, pictures speak a thousand words 8z on the front with o offset and 8z on the rear same but with a 30mm spacer so should be sitting roughly 5mm more poke than what my steelies will coming together well and my goal is to be ad DUBVEGAS!

chin spoiler showed up also and just needs some paint now,

brake shop has been hard at work today running lines in the engine bay on the diff and all the braided bits between!

Looks like its coming along well anyway, first thing tomorrow getting bleed then I will have brakes back and hopefully they will be better than the original setup! Haha shouldn't have any dramas with that tho!

Wheels also showed up so I thought we would JUST THROW some rubber on them right? Wrong! So many bloody sizes and with having 2" width difference from front to rear trying to get tyres with a rolling diameter even close to each other was annoying because the tyres I would need either didn't exist or where discontinued, couldn't get anything wide in a small sidewall like a 255/40r15 e.t.c. so I opted for

Front 195/60r15
            Rear 225/50r15

Think that should be alright but ill see whow it goes when the 225s show up hopefully tomorrow here is the front tho.

Nice little bit of poke and stretch! (not for everyone but i think if its done right looks mint!

cheer, Glenn.
            200B wagon
            LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Looks rad. I didn't mind the B45s either. Will need to digest the stuff with the coil-overs, seems like its way above my skill level.
              Past
              74 260z - MOBY
              00 WRX - JARVIS
              93 Rz Supra - SOUP
              05 Golf GTI
              07 350z Track
              73 240z - Red Car
              13 BRZ
              04 Liberty GT
              10 ISF

Current
              91 SW20 MR2

Comment

Haha fair enough wasn't that hard actually
                200B wagon
                LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Haven't seen it with the B45s on it before. Looks better than expected.

You should hurry this shit along so its up to date and we can talk about cool shit like the 3500 converter that showed up today and custom fuel rails and defects and stuff
                  Originally posted by RVK 355
                  Hold it flat cunt

Comment

I LOVE THE B45s!!! i keep harassing seb for them like every time i see him! never wasnt to sell them tho

Onto some bad news tho I ended up getting skrewed $1657 over what I was quoted for my diff NOT INCLUDING TAILSHAFT THAT WAS IN THE QUOTE! because of things like ( longer studs, different gears, LSD, machining axles, machinging disks, list goes on) all the things we talked about before the work was started and then afterwards it was all like "oh no you must have misunderstood, ypu wanted all those extras after the fact"... So I'm basicallyout of money now and the budget is shot! Life will go on...

He didn't really seem like the kind of guy I would like to owe money to especially when he had my address and work address and phone number lol.

Also mounted my trans cooler to my intercooler

Today I put it back on stands and welded the whiteline swaybar mounts onto the diff instead of using the stupid "U" bolts that fouled on everything! So now I can just nut and bolt it to the mounts like a normal car

Welding upside down SUCKS not real happy with ny welds but CBF grinding and doing it again they Arnt that bad

fucking love this photo

wheels on!

New wheels with tread and looking sic! Very happy with them.

Also pulled my tank out so I could oversize my fuel pickup and return lines

I stripped the fuel tank ready for new lines and a fresh lick of paint, there where so many layers of paint in some places it would just burn to the wire wheel and spread the paint around but I got there in the end.

welding in new lines

then paintzzz

front coming back together

All the coolers and pipes are now in even with a BOV to many people's hate I can't wate to drive the stupid thing, have been trying to catch up on a months worth of work after being off with the knee so ill start on the fuel system asap and fiberglasing my gauge pannel and I think I have desided on side pipes (for track use only of course )

Cheers, Glenn.
                    200B wagon
                    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Christmas, new years and summernats have put a good stop on my build but now I'm aiming for powercruse which is at the end of Feb I will have to get my skates on!

Tailshaft showed up yesterday.

Started on my "rear firewall" because a fuel tank in a 23 is ok as a firewall but air isn't in the 28 lol anyway I have started plating up my spair wheel well so it is isolated from the cabin and vented to atmos but still removable (not welded in) so lots of nut serts and slaz!

And this little man is taking up some of my time! But that's ok because he is the new member of my little family

funny because he hates cars but he has been sleeping in my car while i have been working on it every night seriosly makes me day!!!

Ran out of nut serts so I started on my exhaust yesterday ill try finish it tomorrow.

just tacked atm

Ill start on the hangers and EGT sender bung then weld it together properly tomorrow, then I might send the dump pipe away for coating and wrap the rest, pur up more pictures when its done try role guards tomorrow also.

I started mounting fuel pumps and filters (the empty juice bottle is to give you an idea of where the surge tank will sit) hopefully I will get to make a start on that in the next few days.

And I painted my exhaust (except the dump pipe)

The dump will be getting ceramic coated and I also made a solid mount for it last night to a bellhousing bolt to try and reduce flex and sag in my Egay manifold (THIS DIDNT WORK! SHIT SAGED!!!) but the mad courier that was supposed to pick it up today didn't show up douche...

Enjoy.

Cheers, Glenn.
                      200B wagon
                      LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Great project - lots of work happening in a short time. Keep it up!

Comment

this has been a year or so narrowed down into a few days haha,

The bit I cut out!

Then filled in and sickerflexed up ready for a lick of paint!
                          And just one to show the battery and MASIVE surge tank! Lol probably a but big but I have room to spair now

I am a bit worried about the trans cooler out the front but I couldn't really find anywhere to put it with decent airflow and going under the car with a fan isn't really an option because of ground clearance because I want to slam it

Had another go at the boot again after work today and welded up my massive surge tank (presure tested, lucky because it did have a small hole), mounted pumps and ran lines

Might make a start on the engine bay side tomorrow, but there could be a bloke coming over to look at the shell of my TA23 that is for sale so I might have to be home to show him that.

My dump pipe showed up today! Not bad considering I sent it on Friday arvo and it made it back first thing this morning

After I fitted it up I decided to take a picture of my solid mount to the bellhousin and you can see it if you have your young on the right side of your mouth and tilt your head left, and it is a bit of a prick to do up and undo (best picture I could get, above the trans lines) rest of the newly painted exhaust is also now installed.

Sneaky picture of the engine bay as it sits tonight.

Hope everyone is likeing the updates! I am trying to put up as many pictures as possible but I always forget to take them in the first place!

i also got myself a nice set of semi slicks for free WINNING!

and i slapped the KE70 auto brake peddal in the other night also and that seems to work really well (car was manuel)

slowly getting to how it sits today (except defected im my garage with a different engine because i blew the first one up!!

try get some more up soon....
                          cheers, Glenn.
                          200B wagon
                          LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Do you have a surge tank for your surge tank?

And are you going to run those semi slicks at sm1000?

Comment

its pritty good hey! i can let my lift pump make noise for ages (i know its not good for it) without worrying because i could do a trip to sydney and back on the surge alone!

Chin spoiler painted and mounted

Finished up the exhaust with a nice little dump (hopefully also create a final little extra back pressure to make that straight through muffler at the back work a little )

Then I stripped all the interior and wiring out of the car! BECAUSE RACE CAR!!

Just joking i am re-wiring the while car (why not? Everything elce in the car is new and this is the cheapest part of the build because this part is actually my trade )

Tonight I started running battery cable in the 28 and I also rebuilt the heater box and blower motor housing by first stripping them completely apart and wiping all the dust out of everywhere then painstakingly remove all the old sealing foam from all the components (turns to dust when your touch it and leaves a sticky mess of glue behind ) cleaning everything up and replacing the foam with new not so crumbly stuff will try take photos of this when I remember.

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...E036FF1AD8.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...E040AC446F.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...E04CA026A8.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...E05D380F71.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...E06D9955B3.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...E056F2FCF4.jpg

http://i394.photobucket.com/albums/p...E08C0BB039.jpg

I did have it at work for afew weeks but its home now getting wiring done and making me stay up late and get up early! I should just take the week off but I left it 2 late now. Probably about a third of the way through wiring at the moment and sent my valve body to mv in Adelaide to be shift kitted as he didn't have any stock to send me

So as a few of you would know it made it to the. CCG beer o'clock the other night for a sneeky peek but it is basically all back together now and I'm in Sydney with the car ready for powercruise in the morning, threw her in the dyno and skrewed in some more boost and its now making about 185rwkw's with no lock up and very safe amounts of fuel and what not, so plenty of potential for much more power but she is farqn fast as she is!

Car went well at powercruise all things considered, had a few teething issues as was expected!
                              Many skids where to be had and I did have a fair bit of fun!

On to the bad, tailshaft tried to make its way into my cab through the floor, luckily for me it didn't make it! When I put the diff in the car I could see that it was wrong (pinion was far to close to the passenger side of the tunnel) and buy the time I put the tailshaft in it was obvious it wasn't right but I still wanted/hoped it would work! So when it started hitting I put some thinner rims on and adjusted the panhard over about an inch and didn't have any more dramas with the tailshaft but as for drivability with the diff so far over and thin wheels every time you stood on it the ass would try to overtake the front from the drivers side

Diff is now all pulled out and back to meet its maker! Haha, he was surprisingly good about it all and he measured the pinion was about 22mm out! And as you cant just simply move it over a new diff has to be fabricated and at least one new axle because it will now be to short I really want to get the car back together for shannons wheels expo this weekend but I don't like my chances so I will be pushing for it to be done before DUBVEGAS!

In other exciting news I bought myself a fuel cut defender and pumped up the boosts a little more
                              Now making over 200kw on a conservative dyno so will be interesting to see how much she makes on a more accurate dyno, really dosent matter how much it makes anyway the car is a heap of fun to drive and just wants to spin the 225 tyres everywhere!

Cheers, Glenn.
                              200B wagon
                              LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Looking awesome mate! Good to see another '28 here

Comment

Working...
                                X