1jz-gte + ra28 = skids

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got around to test fitting the v1.1 brackets and they look like they will work alright.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190529_172255.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.16 MB
ID:	6618947

Name:	20190529_172245.jpg
Size:	4.35 MB
ID:	6618948

Now time to do them properly, will try and get a price on CNC one piece in alloy but cost depending may end up 3 peices (laser/water/plasma cut base from 12mm and then turn up the two legs on the lathe from round bar and tack it all together?)

FARK the strut and brakes are heavy together... be interesting to do a full weight comparison left to right when i finish this drivers side! Or maybe ignorance is bliss?
    1JZ RA28 (yoshi) the toymotor sillycar
    http://performanceforums.com/forums/...gte-ra28-skids
    200B wagon
    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Nice, donít start weighing stuff. Itís a wormhole you donít want to start down...
      I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

Things have slowed on the celica front a bit unfortunatly.
        I did however start playing with my rear callipers, split them ready for paint but first some quick machining.

Name:	20190605_194844.jpg
Size:	3.45 MB
ID:	6619102

Knocked the nissan off the back but was left with datsun lol

Name:	20190605_195417.jpg
Size:	4.41 MB
ID:	6619101

Faced the old hardline double flare to accept a banjo bolt on my setup. also knocked the brass double flare insert out of the calliper half, drilled and tapped the rest of the way through to make up for the material i was taking off by facing it.

Name:	20190605_194616.jpg
Size:	3.91 MB
ID:	6619103

My new (second hand) 17" wheels showed up thanks to 1320ft, cheers buddy! (Sitting next to a genuine 15" pro star)

Name:	20190612_174304.jpg
Size:	4.96 MB
ID:	6619104

Quick test fit to see if the new brakes fit in the new wheels.

Name:	20190612_155309.jpg
Size:	4.94 MB
ID:	6619105

Plenty of room! Might even be able to fit a 16" rim with the right shape step in the centre.

Name:	20190612_155325.jpg
Size:	4.74 MB
ID:	6619106

Found a machine shop locally that will make my caliper brackets for $100 a side, they said all the hard work was done with me making the CAD file and it was a very simple shape as far as machining is concerned.
        200B wagon
        LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Well done!!!

Also don't do 16' wheels, tires are a cunt to get compared to 17''

Comment

There is one advantage in 16", it's the only way to get a 26" 255 drag radial, for a small car could be handy.
            meh

Comment

Originally posted by SR20 KE30 View Post
              There is one advantage in 16", it's the only way to get a 26" 255 drag radial, for a small car could be handy.
              Only the fronts need to be bigger i can still run a 15" wheel over the VN group A brakes with skyline r33 calipers on the rear so the normal 255/60r15 is the aim for the rear at some point but i will defiantly need to mini tub and mod the fuel tank before i can fit them as a 235/60r15 MT is a tight fit!
              200B wagon
              LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Rear brakes almost sorted,
                ē sand blasted the surface rust off the new old disks + painted the hats in calliper black.
                ē rebuilt calipers (fuckn rebuild kit didnt come with channel seals for between the two halves!) + painted black.

Name:	20190624_180516.jpg
Size:	4.01 MB
ID:	6619278

They are a VERY tight fit over the disks (caliper body, the pads are a few mm away on both sides) r33 18mm new and the group A brakes are 20mm.

Name:	20190624_180533.jpg
Size:	4.35 MB
ID:	6619279

Re-used my braded lines but now the banjo is 90* from the original location of the commy caliper, had to grind down one point of the hex so suit the funny backing plate but easy fix.

Name:	20190624_191457.jpg
Size:	4.15 MB
ID:	6619281

Also went to town and clearanced the shit out of the backing plate so i could easily get the caliper on and off without a fight.

Name:	20190624_191450.jpg
Size:	3.96 MB
ID:	6619280

Need to get some new brake pads so suit EBC Reds i think i put in the front before felt good might go same for the rear? Otherwise maybe just some cheep QFMs to get me started and rolling again.

Diff should go back in tomorrow night fingers crossed ill get some time to do it.
                200B wagon
                LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Yeah the channel seals catch most people out - funny thing is even alot of genuine caliper kits dont come with them either......A bit stupid if you ask me

Comment

Didnt get the diff tonight the daily driver atm is no-pix WM crap-price and it decided to have no oil pressure (or fuck all!) on stone cold startup this morning... the oil warning on the dash comes up at 30kpa (4.35psi) and it was on! The 6L L98 Engine sounded like a bag of marbles so it wasnt just a comon sensor failure... FML

So tonight was spent pulling the sump off in the hopes of a super simple fix (some models had an extra oil pressure bypass in the sump comon to fail) this one apparently however, did not. Again FML.

I decided to tap in a mechanical gauge (even tho the engine sounded like it didnt have any / much oil pressure just to be double double sure i smashed the sump pack on and put some 15w40 oil in (instead of the 5w30 its always had) data logged the start up and watched the mechanical gauge both showing it took ages to get ANY oil pressure then struggled to make 20psi at idle cold... i would have expected over 50/60psi cold with thicker oil.

Looks like i might have to throw an oil pump at it next in the hope it hasnt just had a massive cam bearing failure or something (as they do)

One day ill get the celica driving again, everything seems to be fighting me at the moment tho! Lol
                    200B wagon
                    LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

did you check the o-ring seal on the pick up? common failure point on a LS

Comment

Originally posted by Ke26 Wagon View Post
                        did you check the o-ring seal on the pick up? common failure point on a LS
                        Didnt but i will tomorrow night when i pull it apart again tomorrow night.

Thanks mate!
                        200B wagon
                        LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Ended up over filling the sump on the WM caprice and parking it on the steep ass workshop driveway nose down to see if it was the oring on the oil pump pickup as justin said was common, didn't fix it (still only had like 8psi cold) so i ordered a genuine oil pump for it, when i was pulling it apart however the pickup tube just about fell out of the oil pump so good chance it was part of the problem but after i inspected the pump gears i decided to replace it anyway - problem solved 45-50psi at like 800rpm.

Now back to my shitbox! Put the diff back in this arvo

Fully expected to have to remake my tow bar setup so i decided to test fit the diff without springs to test the clearance from the new diff hat to the tow bar.

More good luck than good measurment, this is no spring and sitting on bump stops.

Name:	20190630_154705.jpg
Size:	4.57 MB
ID:	6619332

Winning, less work for me!

Name:	20190630_152856.jpg
Size:	4.98 MB
ID:	6619333

Next was fo test fit motherfucker jones old pro stars, they fit alright but will need more positive offset buy maybe 15mm more? i think they are an 8" with 4.5" backspace.

Name:	20190630_155709.jpg
Size:	4.55 MB
ID:	6619330

No springs again showed they will scrub the guards with about 5mm+ clearance between bumpstop and diff.

Name:	20190630_160200.jpg
Size:	4.63 MB
ID:	6619329

Showing the clearance to the inner guard on the rear. I always get confused when they talk backspacing in " so i assume if they where a 4.5" backspace and i want to go inboard another 15 or so mm i would need more like a 4.25" or 4" backspace?

Name:	20190630_160310.jpg
Size:	4.15 MB
ID:	6619331

Now i need to make an adjustable panhard rod if anyone can point me in the right direction for a left and right hand threaded rod with a hex in the middle, tube adaptors and locking nuts somewhere (some molly tube would be great also) i would appreciate it
                          200B wagon
                          LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Originally posted by _glenn_archer_ View Post
                            Now i need to make an adjustable panhard rod if anyone can point me in the right direction for a left and right hand threaded rod with a hex in the middle, tube adaptors and locking nuts somewhere (some molly tube would be great also) i would appreciate it
                            Try Andrews Race Cars in Seven Hills, Sydney. Last time I was down there he had fuckloads of Moly tube on racks, LH & RH tube adapters and LH/RH rod ends if you wanted to mount it that way. He reckons he ships everywhere so if you get stuck, try him. I want to remake my diff arms and he's the only local cunt that could sort me out with all of the material.
                            Originally posted by Motherfucker Jones
                            If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
                            we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Comment

Yeah, Rod Andrews will have everything you need and will supply only the amount of CM you need
                              I own a two and a half litre Commodore

Comment

Thanks guys all sorted now
                                200B wagon
                                LOW AND SLOW STOCKER

Comment

Working...
                                X