Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Holden Ute

Well, carried on from the other thread about giving the fuck up on this thing and hating it... I've copied some of the old pics as thread was in general, and convoluted with bullshit emo cracka shit because I fucking hated this thing for a few months. :knock:

Bought it maybe 18 months ago from Quenbeyen.

Story is that is's a 73 Kinga ute. Old mate had it for donkeys years, and his daughter wanted it as a first car.

So in went a 1UZ, autronic SMC, W55, CRS/dellows catalogue of bullshit including bellhousing and twin plate clutch and mounts.

Included in many of his mods for daughter P plate duties was:
    Sandpapering off all speedo digits above 100kmh.
    A comprehensive rewire including maybe 35 relays/fuses/shit drilled through inner guards, and a general fuckupery of everything electrical that is possible.
    A VH41 mini booster pre clutch slave to ensure there is absolutely no indication when said very bitey twin plate is going to take up, and it changes based on vacuum and heat.

But the good parts:
    9", disc brake rear end with what seems to be a limo of some sort.
    Straight body
    Nearly zero rust, whatever there is is very minor, no holes in shit. Nothing to care about.
    A 1UZ in working order that's good on comp.

So I did what any logical guy would do, fly from brisbane to canberra, strap it around the block and drive it 1400km home in a single sitting.

And it was good. Great drive.

Then. Problem.

And thus we went down the rabbit hole.

The original plan for this thing from the get go was a $5k turbo job, and slowly make the shit that needs to be done get done.

Plan went out the fucking window. Basics are 1UZ unopened with big sump, GT4094 1.19, 50mm gate, big cooler's for everything, Haltech PS2000 and CAN Wideband, Flex fuel sensor, new fuel lines, clean and new everything electrical. All major service items checked over. New/refurb steering box, and a few other bits and pieces. Basically a ground up replacement of everything holden in it.

New Gauges to go in thanks to Speedhut. Illuminate red at night on dial and digits. Should be good.

Reason for no IQ3 is simple. Car is street car, and a dash that cant dim is fucking retarded.

Some new electricy bits.

All thanks to AJ at ABM Wiring. Guy is an absolute legend. If al is turboing stupid things man, then AJ is his counterpart for sparkyness and shit. Every single wire except the interior light wire has been replaced. Every fitting, every light, every connector - everything is deutch DT, andersen or OEM. Zero patience on my part for anything less.

https://www.facebook.com/ABMWiring?ref=br_tf

New heater box. 12v heater and fan combo thingy, hotrod sorta deal. I wanted zero heater pipes and to fuck off the huge bullshit exchanger and blower they have in the HQ's on firewall, much more room for working on engine.

Gauges in, with bespoke carbon fibre dash panel made thanks to AJ/his mate. Gauges recessed in so not streetmachine fuckwit style autometer on check-plate. I would of rathered them be a little deeper but given I was 14,000km away that happens. In person they're nearly perfect and it's great quality.

New relay and mini fuse box.

No pics of the arse end, but a giant 1100cca battery is mounted in a custom box in the tray, with big gauge feed and earths, kill switch, and fuel pump relays beside battery.

So all that's left to do as of now is a bit of tidying up. I'll throw some new headlights in it and replace all globes with new.

Getting AJ to throw a little external LED up above the tray under the rear screen so I can flick a light on if I happen to throw the swag in the back and want to read a book.

After a few months or something (I specifically said to take his time, and just work on it between jobs) it magically shows up to Al's workshop.

And co-incidentally at the same time as my best mate's HQ that's copping a VH41 and antigay treatment.

Groovy winged sump old mate old owner made, which was sitting on the crossmember with two broken engine mounts. Sturdy. A half inch of sikaflex under it fixed the NVH, thanks old guy.

A few days later... The teaser pics started coming. Thanks Al.

And then something with substance.

So far the stories Al has shared with me about ripping it apart are priceless.

Twin spigot beatings bashed into the crank. Lolwhy.
    Monstorous twin plate setup, with a heavy as fuck pressure plate and big finger pressure....for a fucking stock 1uz and W55.

So right now with me having been either 5000, or 15000km away for most of the work, it's been a legit chequebook racer.

Over the coming weeks while I'm around, the gearbag should be finished, an A340 to within an inch of its life, geoff 'angry gnome' dell converter after he finishes one that fits... Fuel system plumb up and a quick tidy of some wiring and base tune.

I'll trailer it down to OKE20's shop at cleveland for an exhaust and some dyno time to make us all cry from overfuelled E85.

I have my eyes on some 16x8 B45's I'm waiting on old mate to confirm aren't fucked with a few pics, and they'll be thrown on.

Just need to sort out shocks then so it hooks up and doesnt want to kill me.

Thinking some drop stub axles with lots of castor will be the go, with stock height springs an 90/10's, and just some new munro's or something in the back with caltracs.
    Originally posted by Bosshoggett
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Eagle eyed will spit blue and red speed flow. Kill me. Engine build will see that changed to black.

list of shit for me to do as I have time and find a place to store it is long.

Tidy up bay to John's spec. HPC pipe work and hot/cold sides of turbo.

Suspension overhaul.

Probably a diff centre, current is unknown.

interior tidy up. A head unit of some sort and set of speakers.

Lay a lot of 11's, get it away for some weekends.
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Comment

old fella's and too much time on their hands hey.

good luck
      Originally posted by 50RTD
      Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Comment

Nice work, what spec turbo?

Comment

4094r 1.19 divided bum with a 50nm gate on housing.

notexactly gt42 trim, but should be a good kick in the arse more than a 4088/t04z.

Comment

What brake upgrade is it getting besides a wing and a prayer?
            The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Comment

Originally posted by cracka View Post
              4094r 1.19 divided bum with a 50nm gate on housing.

notexactly gt42 trim, but should be a good kick in the arse more than a 4088/t04z.
              Technically it's a GT40/42 hybrid.

Listen to alcon man worrying about brakes.
              David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Originally posted by bigmuz
              You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Comment

Bought it from an "automotive engineer" with a Tarago? Can't remember his name, enough of the Canberra guys will know him, but looking at his own cars doesn't fill me with confidence about his work.

Comment

Originally posted by JZK25 View Post
                  Technically it's a GT40/42 hybrid.

lol brakes.

set of pads. Work rest out later.

Comment

Originally posted by irsa76 View Post
                    Bought it from an "automotive engineer" with a Tarago? Can't remember his name, enough of the Canberra guys will know him, but looking at his own cars doesn't fill me with confidence about his work.
                    John Wilson?

Comment

Rings a bell, out towards Burra iirc.

Comment

glad you stuck with it cracka. looks like a nice clean ute, and will be uber fun once done. as you have found, shitty wiring really isnt the end of the earth, especially when you can afford to get some other poor cunt to sort out the mess!
                        Originally posted by Rdyno
                        70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                        Originally posted by Tripper
                        Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Don't worry John holds his customers cars to higher standards than his own.....sometimes!

Comment

Originally posted by JZK25 View Post
                            AP Racing. Get it right cunt.

Tidy old boat Cracka. Should paint elevenzeees till the cows come home.

GLWS.
                            The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Comment

And now the million dollar question.

What are peoples thoughts about the kit style aircon, underdash blower/vents.

Idea would be something like this:
                              http://www.classicautoair.com/classi...nditioner.html

But with modern/OEM compressor from something wrecked, and common. Subaru/toyota etc for throttle switch too.
                              Giant fuckoff heat exchanger for stupid efficiency. Because why not excessive freezer spec ute.
                              Blower under the dash and controls for it on dash. Simple on off for the compressor clutch and a fancy PWM fanspeed. I reckon my auto sparky guy wouldn't mind doing something up fancy and creative in this department. Could actually be a really neat thing I reckon.

I have no want or desire to use any of the factory ducts and shit.
                              Car already has a specific heater/blower setup for legality/demist without heater hoses and aids. Wanting for a legitimate heater in winter was never my requirement, but AC in summer would be baller, especially if its kick arse efficient.

But that begs the question...Where the fuck on a 1UZ do you mount the compressor? Serpentine belt is already approximately 39km long, theres no room to run another acc on the LHS of engine due to chassis rail and belt wrap and turbo shenenagains.

Well, like on the other HQ thread, and like what I wanted to do with the V12 liberty (GRRRRRR)...Holden astra elec PS motor into steering box. Or similar elec power steer motor, and throw AC compressor in PS pump's place.

Not sure on how much space there is behind PS motor for said item though, but a bit of googling and it looks like a few people have thrown alternators, and bigger PS pumps there so I dont think it'd be a stretch to think an AC compressor would fit. EZ30 compressors from outbacks etc have an 8rib serpentine belt clutched wheel so if it fit it'd be the go, and I reckon myliberty would have one laying about.

I reckon there is ample room to fit/make room to fit the elec PS motor, right beside the steering box behind the headlight on RHS of bay. So the next question is, how the fuck do those Astra PS motors work? Are they speed or steering angle driven? PWM trickery? variable voltage based on load? or stop start? Or just constantly recirculating and running 12v 24/7?

Right now with all this shit, of course a smartwire suddenly sounds like it would of been a better idea, but whatever. That's what you get from thinking about shit 1 item at a time as you make rash decisions.

Comment

Working...
                              X