Toyota MR2 AW11 9A-GTE project - the faildub

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going there in Feb, was thinking of hiring an 86 and driving to it from Kyoto where I'll be for 8 days or so. (about a 2 hour drive)

Would love to hire something cool.. GTR or something, but haven't looked into anything beyond where the Museum is let alone renting cars and prices.

Comment

<dbl post, sorry>

Comment

Originally posted by MRGREATWALLMAN View Post
        btw.. pf requires noods of the chick in the background..

How are we going with this?
        Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Originally posted by the buttonman View Post
          Yah, does it really make you that mad that I was in the 2000GT at Toyota history museum?
          yes it does

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
          How are we going with this?
          give me the time machine i need to go back in time and find out who she actually is and i shall provide, anyways:

New clutch master shows up today, has a smaller hose fitting than stock, looks to be M10 instead of the standard M12 fitting. New clutch master also has M8 studs threaded into the body instead of holes for factory M8 studs on the firewall. Remove studs on clutch master and of course the holes are now too small to pass the factory studs. So now I need an adapter for the clutch line, and I need to drill out the holes so that the studs on the firewall will fit.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUU
          1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
          The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

you seem to have about the same sort of luck with this stuff as me
            RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
            06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Comment

Well, another day another hurdle. went to fit the TOM's wheels tonight. Cleared the rear brake calipers no worries. Cleared the massive MRP front calipers by millimetres as expected (bazda is the only bloke who I've ever dealt with that actually sells shit that works without any extra fucking around outside of what he specifies). Unfortunately though, the FUCKING RETARDED MONGS at the tyre shop put the balancing weights on the highest part of the inside of the barrels, which takes up those last few mm of clearance to the caliper, so the wheels won't rotate with the balancing weights where they are.

I mean, it isn't that big of an issue really. They are just stick on wheel weights so it isnt a massive task to remove them and get the wheels re-balanced, but it's almost like the car is running out of ideas to fuck with me so now it's fishing around for the most obscure petty piece of shit reasons to not just work.

WHY WONT YOU JUST WORK YOU PIECE OF SHIT CAR?!?!??!!?!!?! ARGGHHHH

Also pirtek the useless cunts don't have an M10 to -4 brake line adapter, so I'll have to drive to motorsport connections before I go to work to get one so that I can finally sort this clutch master out. yay....

Comment

Lol, wheel weights, classic.
                Originally posted by thebluerx7
                The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Just part it out.

feels good.

Comment

Well, the last few days have been fun. Called pirtek yesterday morning, told em not to worry about the adapter as I was just going to go to MSCN and pick one up, and that I would be in at lunchtime to pick my other adapter up which O had left with them.

"Oh but we can just make you one in the next half an hour if you like"

Well, ok then. hopped on the train on my lunchbreak and headed over to mascot. This is what greeted me

Figured it would only be for a day or two anyway, just to get the car to a pinkslip station and then I would sort It. fitted it

Ergh. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPE. Didn't have much choice anyway as it seems the clutch master I was given was in fact for a completely different car as the offset from the flange to the piston was wrong meaning i had basically no pedal travel. Explains why the fitting was different i guess.... never fear, figured I still have the old clutch master, ill just swap the innards from the new one into the old one and it will be apples! Yes? NO! Whilst the bore in the old clutch master was physically fine, the actual piston design was different, and the piston from the new clutch master simply pushed the fluid up and down the reservoir instead of pressurising the clutch line. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Too stubborn to give up yet, I decided that the last desparate course of action would be to "rebuild" my old clutch master piston by swapping over the seals from the new one. The bore wasn't pitted, so I figured the only thing stopping the old clutch master from working was the piston seals

Forgot to take comparison pics of the two pistons, but when put side by side they were actually visibly different lengths between the two seals. Anyways this somehow worked and I now have a working clutch pedal once again, thank christ.

So finally, with this round of mods complete, I was able to drop the car back on wheels. I've been looking forward to this moment for a while.

Such turbodisc, wow

Also in my previous post I forgot to include pics about the rear brake upgrade. The SW20T calipers didnt go on straight away, the dust cover for the rotors was fouling. Maybe I pushed it back a bit when I knocked the wheel studs out? I haven't heard of anyone else mentioning this previously so I'm guessing it was just that...

Anyways I bent it back out of the way and then the brakes went on nicely

Test drive tomorrow!

Comment

Looking forward to this
                      Originally posted by thebluerx7
                      The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post

I'd be rather worried about the holes in the rotor being to large for the wheel studs. Looks to be a few mm of slop there?

Other wise it looks like your got a winner.
                        Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Originally posted by ALLMTR
                        You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

The rotors are hubcentric thanks to the spindle and the wheel nuts will clamp the rotor down, so it shouldn't be an issue from what i understand about how brakes work? Either way, they are standard size studs, and standard replacement front rotors. If it was a problem then someone in a corolla/aw11/etc would have found out about it over the last 30 years

Comment

Cool just looks iffy.
                            Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Originally posted by ALLMTR
                            You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Comment

Got a wheel alignment done and then got the car re-registered on the weekend Since I didn't have time for any more meaningful mods, I went and slapped on some of the little accessories I had collected on the faildub over the years:

Broadway mirror, domokun, and TOM'S shifter

And then I took it to the club meet tonight!

Everything seems to be working well except I was getting a knock from the right rear, turned out to be a loose wheelnut. Tightened it only for it to come loose again, and then again, and then again...

WTF??!??! Will pull the wheel off tomorrow, maybe one of the new wheel studs isn't all the way in 100%?

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyg View Post
                                Cool just looks iffy.
                                whatchootalkingaboutwillis?

most cars are like that from the factory. the disc is clamped to the hub by the wheels and wheelnuts, so doesnt do squat as long as the wheels are done up.
                                Originally posted by Rdyno
                                70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
                                Originally posted by Tripper
                                Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Comment

Working...
                                X