Toyota MR2 AW11 9A-GTE project - the faildub

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Went out to wakefield park for the circuit club long weekend trackday with a bunch of other toymods peeps. Set a new PB in my second session by 0.7 seconds down to a 1:08.65!! Getting proper quick now. Looking at the log, the speed is all in turn 2 and the fishook, and a bit through the hill. The car felt way more balanced and the rear much less nervous now that I've fitted a front swaybar, so I guess I was able to commit harder and carry more speed into those corners. The new brake pads also helped me be more aggressive in the braking zones too

One of the interesting things is according to the log, I was down 23kmh on the straights, at 185kmh from 208kmh in the past. From what I can see, this is due to me being down on boost pressure: 18psi instead of the usual 24. I thought I noticed a hissing noise at times.... looks like I need to track down a boost leak :/ On the plus side, my theoretical best time is a 1:07.7, and with the extra power, maybe I could even be knocking on the door of 1:06s???!?! Crazy!

Some other pics and vids of the day - all aboard simmos low income single dad car

AJ took his RA40 out, first trackday ever for him, and for the car

"Simmo's good tyres"

Schmitt shoehorned into the passenger seat of the adub

Emilio's MA61

Cool setup, might try do something like that for the adub

Eyyyyyy

Fastest lap

1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Good shit, well done!

Comment

Should come down for some happy laps next time dude. Schmitt and I had some fun haha

edit; oh yeah and my fuel rail bolts came loose again, spewing fuel everywhere. how this car hasnt caught fire is frankly astonishing ... it's back together with loctite now. who the fuck has to loctite their fuel rail bolts....
        Last edited by trdee; 10-10-19, 12:55 PM.

Comment

lockwire?

Comment

ill be checking it very regularly again now like i used to. i recently switched back to the poly engine mount inserts so im guessing the extra vibrations are what's doing it. if they come loose again with loctite on them then im going to skip the lockwire step and do a complete overhaul to my intake system. piss off the ITBs and half-baked top feed conversion etc, run a custom single TB plenum with its own proper fuel rail and nice big hex head bolts with a respectable amount of purchase instead of these tiny little capscrews. fuel rail bolts just shouldnt rattle loose...

Comment

some more pics of the day

Eric Manderson's supercharged 2GRFE SW20 having just done the traditional MR2 snap oversteer spin

My adub almost cocking a wheel into T2

This adub has the fastest time for an aw11 around wakefield, with a high 1:07 iirc. I need to take that crown

The fastest street registered MR2 of any generation at Wakefield park is apparently Adrian You's yellow 2GRFE powered SW20, which has done a 1:07.4. That is another crown I would like to nab soon

Chen's mate

Reedy's MPS

This dude was doing 1:05s whilst "running in" his new engine

Last edited by trdee; 11-10-19, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Tyre tyre and more tyre dude...you have more than enough power for a 1.06
                GT8
                1UZ Celica
                1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Comment

Originally posted by Justengt4 View Post
                  Tyre tyre and more tyre dude...you have more than enough power for a 1.06
                  Looks like that WRX is going by that rule as well.

Comment

Haha yeah I think the 195 wide kumhos are probably not quite suitable anymore. I think I've also egged/delaminated my right rear tyre as the car was pulling hard left under acceleration and hard right under decel. Something I had started noticing at the last session at eastern creek already

Nankang AR1s are available in 225/45 and 245/40/15. Might try and shoehorn some of those in next

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post
                      Haha yeah I think the 195 wide kumhos are probably not quite suitable anymore. I think I've also egged/delaminated my right rear tyre as the car was pulling hard left under acceleration and hard right under decel. Something I had started noticing at the last session at eastern creek already

Nankang AR1s are available in 225/45 and 245/40/15. Might try and shoehorn some of those in next
                      That grey AW11 has used flares to get more tyre...looks pretty good but loses a bit of sleeper cred
                      GT8
                      1UZ Celica
                      1.07 flat Wakefield Park

Comment

195/50/15 AR-1's are a fair bit wider than a normal 195, I like them a lot but it takes a fair bit of effort to get heat in the rears in a FWD setup

Comment

Yeah its the fronts that need more heat in an adub, makes sense since theyre a backwards AE82 haha.

So yeah the 296mm discs and dixcel type Z pads also got cooked. They lasted longer and didnt die as badly after overheating, but I did cook them nonetheless. You can see how the pad is discoloured and crumbling away at the edges, signs of a pad that has been cooked. The discs dont look ultra happy either. I am going to weld in some 3" inlets into the brake disc backing plates and run ducting all the way into the front lip and force feed the fuckers with air, see how it goes. If that doesnt work then I can either go to full race pads, which will be shit on the street, or 17" wheels and a bigger brake setup. We will see.

Also, I egged 3 out of 4 tyres. The worst was the right rear, which was probably already half dead from Eastern creek since it loads the right rear the most there. I think the car puts too much load through a set of tyres these days for me to buy out of date semis on special anymore... might try a new set of nankang AR1s next. They seem to be decent bang for buck

Slapped the recaros in out of the MA61, they sit at a better height in the adub, but I probably still wont keep them

And finally, I finally got the dealer option "man in dandism" sticker installed hahaha

Comment

Did the brake test for engineering today. Passed that so that's another tick off the list! Interestingly, 1JZ-Rolla's old 1JZ AE71 was there for testing with its new owner as well. Small world!

The test required a simulated loss of brake pressure on the front axle and then alternatively the rear axle, so a simple method was devised to do this by running a shitload of hose off one brake caliper and cracking the bleeder nut

There was also a brake test with the booster disconnected, and a brake fade/recovery test

This torana sounded mint and also had some fairly serious brakes with alloy hats and everything

The engineer advised going home and having a beer to celebrate, who am I to argue? :D

Comment

Working...
                            X