No announcement yet.

Toyota MR2 AW11 9A-GTE project - the faildub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finished the header tank conversion and got the radiator recoed a few weeks ago, just in time for toyota nationals. Good thing I decided to service the radiator whilst I was doing the header tank.. turned out it was over 50% blocked!

New hot pipe all done in ally with bleed port. Removed a stack of joins in the process. New VS old below

Ran the fill point from the header tank down to a port on the thermostat housing that used to have a thermoswitch for the thermofans in the AE111 that the blacktop head came out of. Filled her up, bled it out and it did all of toyota nationals without a hitch. Won top 4cyl in the drags and was 3rd quickest rwd in the motorkhana and came 3rd overall in top toyota even though I hadn't even bothered washing the car for the show and shine LOL

Some pics of the event below

1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Did the first round of the NSW supersprint cship yesterday. Bit of an up and down day but the main thing is I finally had a clean session at eastern creek without issues. Two good sessions in fact! This allowed me to finally push the car to near its potential and I smashed my GP circuit PB by three seconds with a 1:48.5!! I then broke the car (turbo water line failed and the dump pipe cracked where it bolts to the engine block) which then ended my day, but I managed to fix the line and limp the car home, so all in all still pretty damn stoked! Pics later but for now here's the incar highlights

1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

Now some pics. Turbo water line cracked and then broke away completely. Thankfully Foamy came past with some new pushlock hose and I remade the line in the pits

This GR yaris was doing the same bloody laptimes as me :O

600HP falcon, going fast enough it would be setting respectable times in wtac lol

Other assorted pics

Comment

Ah yes, cuckolded by a stiff hose yet again
          Originally posted by TK
          may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

Comment

What's lurking in the clubman?
            '71 BMW 2002 - restoration
            '14 Colorado 4x4 dual cab - reliability

Originally posted by Marv
            my cuts look like they're done by Michael J Fox using a grinder on the end of a pool noodle
            :rotflol:

Comment

Clubman is running an R1 bike engine

Well I found the exhaust leak. Looks like one of the nuts on the turbo had come a bit loose and this was the result

Going back together with nord locks and special locking nuts from GCG that cost way too much money. Also, it seems when the hatch flew open last year it munted one of the hinge threads, and the bolt has now completely stripped on this side. Already got some replacement hinges off ebay and might look at some extra fixtures on the hatch to take more load off the hinges

Comment

going to tack weld the studs to the flange so they don't wind out with the fancy nuts attached?

Comment

that sounds like something intelligent and requiring forwards thinking. two things which i lack

does inconel and mild steel weld well together?

Comment

You could always peen the ends if you have access.
                    Chris
                    ------
                    The MX5 Noujet (its up market) | The Hilux Complete Nugget
                    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post
                      that sounds like something intelligent and requiring forwards thinking. two things which i lack

does inconel and mild steel weld well together?
                      they'll tack together fine, just a tiny tack from a TIG would hold it, the peening idea is also good

Comment

Long studs, spacers then nuts

Comment

gonna go past foamy's tomorrow morning and tack the studs to the manifold

Comment

Foamy welded the studs to the manifold to help keep things tight

Got some nord lock washers and GCG turbo lock nuts

Then started bolting everything together and noticed there was another fucking crack in the manifold ARGGHHHH

Gonna be tight getting it ready for the supersprint on the 16th now

Comment

So foamy fixed the crack in the manifold and I continued getting the car back together. Went and redid the other water line as I found it was perishing just like the one that failed at eastern creek

Tried remaking them using some hard pipes off some subaru but i couldnt route them nicely and the pipe bender I had wouldnt bend them without massively kinking them, so for now I just remade it in rubber again and double bagged both water lines with heat sleeve and fire sleeve. Also bought a turbo beanie to help reduce engine bay temps

Anyway car was back together and it was time to go to wakefield for round 2 of the championship. Thought I'd share some pics of how I fit all my shit in for a trackday haha. There's a full size jack in that boot too!

Thinking I had sorted all my problems, I was keen to set some new PBs, unfortunately that would not be the case. Session 1 I got held up by this very sweet looking starion. It must have had some poke because I normally blast past most things on the straights, but I couldn't quite reel him in, but under brakes and in the corners I was way quicker

Harreh then had issues with his E46 track car where the crank angle sensor would start wigging out when the car got hot

Session 2 I was hoping for a better run, but then I noticed the car wasnt quite boosting right, then I noticed it was losing power.... then I only had 2 cylinders!! Fuck. Pulled in to check what was wrong and as I was diagnosing things it just magically came good, which is super annoying as now I need to track down what is likely to be some intermittent electrical fault. Also I then noticed the louvre panel in my rear hatch was separating so that was definitely my day done

All in all, things could have gone better haha

Comment

Not much going on here atm. Decided after that wakefield day that I would take the year off campaigning the AW11 so that I could get around to sorting out a bunch of stuff on the car and hopefully have less issues next year. So whilst I was waiting for some shit to show up I went and fitted the anti submarine straps to my harness. Up till now I had only been using it in 4pt mode

At the same time I set about removing all the old sikaflex from the louvres and then re-bonded the louvres to the hatch. Next step is to actually glass the louvres and the hatch together so that they never come apart again. Just waiting on some resin to show up and for this lockdown shit to be over so I can get Harreh's help since he is my resident fibreglass sperg

I also checked all of my ignition wiring after that misfire issue at the last supersprint and couldn't find anything wrong. So I've decided to take the "nuke it from orbit" option and have ordered some brand new R35 coils, adapter plate etc etc, as an upgrade from my current LS1 coil setup. The LS1 coils have served me well but they were $60 wrecker coilpacks that are probably 20 years old now, and the custom leads they require and the manky packaging etc etc means the R35 setup should be neater, more reliable, and will also remove the coilpacks as a variable if the misfire comes back.

Also since it's lockdown time and I was bored, I jumped on RHDjapan and ordered a cusco brake master cylinder stopper just to see if it makes a difference with the pretty heavy braking forces I am putting through the pedal these days, and I also got a toda adjustable exhaust cam gear, as I remember years ago MRC advised tweaking the exhaust timing should give me more spool and more power with little to no detriment. The engine has been in there for 5yrs now so it's prob a good idea to swap out the timing belt, so I'll do a little upgrade whilst I do that

Finally just a pic of the car sitting in the garage awaiting the next round of mods

Comment

Working...
                                X