No announcement yet.

Toyota MR2 AW11 9A-GTE project - the faildub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeah and I just got my trophy for the fastest 4 cylinder at the toyota nationals drags

Last edited by trdee; 03-08-21, 08:14 PM.
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

R35 coilpack conversion bits have shown up. Gave the car a wash for the first time in many months, now to park it up and spend the next month or so in the garage redoing the ignition system

1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s Cruiser

Comment

So I finally whipped out the wrecker spec LS1 coils that have served me faithfully for the last 7 or so years and swapped in the R35 coils. First up, cut out the LS1 coil wiring and remove the coils and leads:

Then lay out the R35 coils, do a montage, and voila, converted:

Whilst I was doing this I also took the opportunity to change the fitting on my breather hose from a straight to a 90deg, which cleaned up that a bit. I also replaced the timing belt since it was 5 years and a million trackdays old, and fitted a TODA adjustable exhaust cam gear. I remember when I got it tuned ages ago the tuner suggested that a tweak to the exhaust timing should give me better spool and some extra hp, so figured why not since we have all this downtime atm.

Prob pull the injectors out soon and get them cleaned and flowed. See what 5 years of E85 has done to them if anything...

Comment

Finally bid farewell to the OEM cassette deck and graphic equaliser. It was a cool thing but wireless phonecalls are basically a mandatory requirement in a car these days, plus 3 out of the 4 speakers were dead on the original system haha. Replaced with a sony carplay head unit and some polk 4" coaxials in the dash

Last edited by trdee; 08-10-21, 04:54 PM.

Comment

OEM deck was way cooler though.

Also can I have it?
            Norbie!

Comment

Yeah I'd been putting off removing it cos I liked the retro vibe and was hoping to do some kind of swap to the guts of it that could retain the outward look of the stereo but with bluetooth etc. but realised that was just not gonna happen so here we are. Also no, I have a real OCD thing about keeping every original part from this car haha. Even though I will prob never use them again..

Comment

Yeah fair enough, I wouldn't let it go either.
                Norbie!

Comment

Originally posted by Norbie View Post
                  OEM deck was way cooler though.

Also can I have it?
                  Mine sat in a box for a decade and I ended up selling it for $200. Crazy stuff.

Comment

Time for some aero mods! Getting MR22ZZ's rear wing working with some new wing element supports as the old ones were broken/missing and the wing was flexing massively at speed, and building myself a front splitter prototype. The final version will be cut out of alucabond but nothing wrong with ply anyway. I've used some quick release splitter brackets to suit an Ek civic and adapted them to bolt up to the tow hooks underneath the car with some minor mods. Just waiting on some splitter rods to show up now. The splitter has been designed to WTAC clubsprint regs which is the class I race under in the supersprint series

Comment

Proper post shortly but for now - code brown moment at the supersprint last night:

Comment

NSW Supersprint Rd 6 recap:

After a lengthy lockdown we finally got to go racing again, only one round left in the curtailed season and it was SMSP GP circuit under lights! Haven't had a chance to run under lights there before so was looking forward to it. Was also looking forward to hopefully finally having a proper trouble free run and really taking some laptime. Unfortunately the old SMSP curse struck again and once again I didnt have a smooth day to build speed.

First session was plagued by misfires/spark blowout and then some dude dropped oil on the track causing the code brown moment above. I was thinking WTF!! I just spent some decent coin sticking R35 coilpacks in the cunt how could it be misfiring?!? Then I remembered that when I last had ignition issues, I slapped my old, 30,000 very hard km copper plugs in there and they were probably past their best. So swapped back to some newer plugs and the issue mostly (but not completely) went away.

Next session out I of course then popped an intercooler pipe where I had forgotten to do up a hose clamp so that was another session wasted.

Third session things went fairly good for 3 or so laps, but what I didnt know was that my front right brake duct hose had come off and was dangling under the car, and after about 3-4 laps I cooked the brakes on that side, and thus that session ended

Fourth session went out again, the plugs I swapped in seem to have cleaned up nice by this stage and the car was absolutely hauling down the straight, until I popped another IC hose out of turn 2.. Fuck!

And that was the end of that, although I did happily set a new PB during the second session. 1:47.877 now. Was a super messy lap and I hadn't finished my front splitter in time, so there is definitely a stack more time in there. 1:45s next time out hopefully :D Harreh set a new PB in his E46 too

Also my hatch seems to be secured well now and is no longer trying to make a bid for freedom so that's nice. Some pics of the night below:

Video of every session here: https://youtu.be/h2CWjqAolnw

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post
                          Proper post shortly but for now - code brown moment at the supersprint last night:

Phew...

Hard to know which way to go in those situations, so well played, Sir
                          Last edited by Mr Ree; 01-12-21, 07:19 AM.

Comment

yeah was waiting to see which way it would roll. luckily i wasnt completely on his arse or it could have been worse

Comment

Some more pics of the evening. AW11 almost picking up the inside front, a capri and commodore with more fuel outside the car than in, and some hot brakes

Comment

How do cars that leak that much fuel get passed scrutineering?

Fuel is expensive enough these days without throwing it at other cars

Comment

Working...
                                X