Toyota MR2 AW11 9A-GTE project - the faildub

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ill rev it to 14,000rpm so that i can have a usable powerband, just like that stan dude with his race bread SR20

Had a cursory look at what will need to be done for the fuel system tonight, starting with the injectors. One small victory, the 20v injectors use a later denso style plug which is the same as the ID2000s I have, so at least I won't have to fuck around with new injector plugs

Unfortunately some work will need to be done for them to fit on the manifold LOL. All good though, I was expecting this after having spoken to baz about his setup

So then I got cracking on the dash and logger. Got about halfway through ripping the car apart when I suddenly hit a snag. One of the previous owners/mechanics has decided that the best way to fix rattling dash pieces is to permanently sikaflex them in. Great foresight there, the instrument cluster cant come out unless i unbolt and remove that big steel frame, but you can only unbolt the steel frame if you take the black plastic cover off first. Which I now can't as it is sikaflexed on....

Cracked the shits and gave up. Will put it all back together tomorrow and leave it alone till after toyotafest now. FUCK! Argh CUNTS!
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
    The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

Changed my mind after having a think. Attacked the dash with a heat gun and was able to soften up the sikaflex enough to pull it apart

Most of the way through installing the logger and dash now. Hopefully driving again tomorrow

Comment

Just finished with the dash/logger wiring. It's all just slapped together nastily atm with house-wiring-spec screw terminals as I didnt want to make the connections permanent till I decide on where to place the datalogger, but it all works Will have to re-calibrate the fuel temp as I fucked the calibration up the last time I installed the dash but otherwise it is all working Pics tomorrow after I have neatened things up a bit.

Comment

Dash and logger are in and working! Had a bit of a head scratch tonight when I went to take it for a test drive and the car started cutting out on the drive. I had flashed the ecu back to an older firmware a few days ago as the new firmware has some reported issues. BIG MISTAKE lol. Apparently you cant go back to older firmware and use the same tune as it makes the car do funny things. Loaded the new firmware back on and it is running sweet again, phew. Was shitting bricks for a while thinking I had wired up something wrong and killed the ecu lol!

This is where I am thinking of mounting the logger this time, the spot between the stereo and the bottom of the centre console just so happens to be the perfect size for the datalogger and for the dash buttons (which I still need to install)

Dash and logger mounted

Now to tune the ridiculously rich base map :D

Comment

The logger looks cool!

Comment

cheers man, im just glad it is all still working after having sat in a box in the garage for almost 2 years lol

Comment

Well toyotafest has been run and done! Awesome day as always and I am happy to report that the adub made it there and back in one piece too

Next step is to sort out the oil cooler and some minor tweaks to the suspension, and then drive it heaps! (till the 9A goes in anyway)

Comment

Got an AE102 digital speed sender so I can start wiring the speedo up now with the C52 before the E51 goes in.

Finished the last bits of the dash - Indicators, high beam, charge light, brake warning light. Shortened and soldered all the connections, suck shit Bardin told you it would be finished properly Have calibrated the fuel gauge since this pic also

Slapped some T3 trumpets on the silvertop courtesy of lambolica (thanks!)

Got the last piece of the puzzle for my suspension - Some cusco "PIRO BALL" camber plates

Also got a small package from Top Secret japan - for when the car is turboed again

It's so cheesy I had to have it lol. There was an OVER 9000 option but it was for the 800PS sticker and it was a manky looking brown which would have looked aids on the gold shifter

Comment

Originally posted by trdee View Post
                    Got an AE102 digital speed sender so I can start wiring the speedo up now with the C52 before the E51 goes in.
                    but the speedo cables won't be long enough to reach the dash???

looking good. what is it with plebs and sikaflexing broken trim pieces? had to deal with it a few times now.

Comment

i don't know, i just put it down to the "people are stupid" theory

Comment

So, car is running nicer and nicer. Booked in to get a dyno run done next weekend just to sort the timing out. Took the car to marques in the park with the CCG guys last weekend, much fun! Got to tune most of my WOT cells

Put the shifter on for the weekend for lulz. Is now removed until the car is actually making the advertised power figure hehe

Fingers crossed the car is running really well now! Next task is to sort out the oil cooler, and then just to do little things here and there till the 9A is built and ready to swap in

Comment

Well I got the silvertop on the dyno today just to make sure the tune was safe etc. The VVT setting in the base tune I got was way off. It was set to switch on at 2k which is fine, but then it was switching off at only 5k at which point power fell down a hole lol. Did some fiddling and found the ideal point was around 6600rpm. Check out the difference LOL

Then as always, something went wrong. Seems I picked up a nail in the rear left on the way out there, which the rollers on the dyno promptly spat back out leading to a very quickly flat tyre. Quick emergency patch and off we go again

Ended up making 86.5rwkw, with peak power at roughly 7500rpm. Which is pretty much on the money for a stock ST20v

Now for some trackdays :D

Comment

Blew the dipstick out on a pac run yesterday, but the breather isn't spewing oil or even breathing that heavily, so I'm hoping it's just the dipstick seal has gone hard and doesn't hold it in properly any more. It needs very little force to pull the dipstick out so I'm hoping that that's all it is. Either way I can't really ask much from this engine, as long as it doesn't explode for the next few months I'll be happy

Two peas in a pod!

Also a comparison to Simmo's aristo - a bit of size difference between the two vehicles

Comment

can you rev them any harder?
                              if it doesnt drop off too bad at your current rev limit, would be good

Comment

Rev limit is 8200rpm, which is the same as the stock rev limit. I could push it harder if I wanted to but this is a completely unknown engine and I want it to last at least until the new motor is ready if possible

Comment

Working...
                                X