X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trdee
    replied
    Rear view camera is on. Real happy with the quality. Just running off the ciggy lighter port for now but I'll hardwire it in over the next week or two

So that marks the end of the hatch and intercooler upgrade project. Next up is Supersprint round 1 this Sunday. Got some nankang AR1s to test out for this season. Be interesting to see how they compare to the V70As

done

Leave a comment:

• trdee
    replied
    Lithium battery is in, with some welding help from foamy

Gotta try and find the time to get the brake ducts done, only 2 weeks till round 1 now! Also need to install the rear view camera

Leave a comment:

• Kyle
    replied
    Love the build!

Leave a comment:

• kedderz
    replied
    nice work on the engineering!

about the same viz out the rear than a countach, niceeeeeee

Leave a comment:

• trdee
    replied
    Small but important update. This thing is now engineered :D :D :D

Also, the odyssey died at the fabricators so I am replacing it with a lithium battery. Fingers crossed it doesnt catch fire, and fingers crossed it lasts better than the shitty two years the odyssey lasted

Leave a comment:

• trdee
    replied
    So the fabricator has been busy....

I've got a rear view camera ready to install. Rear visibility is for pussies anyway

Leave a comment:

• trdee
    replied
    She's pretty happy on 24psi tbh!. Should pick up a solid bit of power just from cooling the intake down as at the moment on high boost it gets hot AF. like 70-80deg on a long pull

Leave a comment:

• bboy
    replied
    Looking good!

Bigger intercooler = more boost right?

Leave a comment:

• trdee
    replied
    Finally mounted my fuel pressure damper the other day, and relocated the fuel pressure reg off the motor. Now at last we will see if the fuel pressure spikes at high injector duty go away!

And now, time for Roof Mount V3.0 (tm) and installation of the "Hapers Hatch"

The "Hapers Hatch" is a fibreglass hatch and inspired by the Group S AW11 which sadly never saw competition. A dude from europe was making an entire Group S replica, and to fund the build he sectioned off the hatch, modified it a bit to suit a stock AW11 body, and did a run of them for sale. Harreh, myself and a couple other guys ended up nabbing some before he got sick and sold off the moulds to Paul Woods, a well known adub modifier in the UK. He did another run, and also developed a set of louvers for the window section, as the Group S adub ran a clear lexan sheet which isnt ideal for ventilation (the group S adub had holes and ducting in the rear bodywork instead). Anyways... on to the job

First - some hinges off a ford explorer:

Then some quik-latches

Then remove the old setup. I am also fitting a larger intercooler at the same time

Then cross the point of no return (thanks harreh for the drilling - he has already done his one before so i trusted his eye would be more calibrated than mine for this job)

Test fit the hatch, and sand many many things (it doesnt fit amazing)

Reinforce the hatch where the hinges bolt up, otherwise it flexes way too much

Then we drilled a slightly too big hole for the tiny flanges on the quick latches, resulting in them pulling through

And that's where we stopped. So now I have some latches with significantly larger flanges on their way, and it's booked in with the fabricator for new intercooler brackets and pipes this weekend. And then hopefully i'll be boosting away once more

Leave a comment:

• trdee
    replied
    Did the brake test for engineering today. Passed that so that's another tick off the list! Interestingly, 1JZ-Rolla's old 1JZ AE71 was there for testing with its new owner as well. Small world!

The test required a simulated loss of brake pressure on the front axle and then alternatively the rear axle, so a simple method was devised to do this by running a shitload of hose off one brake caliper and cracking the bleeder nut

There was also a brake test with the booster disconnected, and a brake fade/recovery test

This torana sounded mint and also had some fairly serious brakes with alloy hats and everything

The engineer advised going home and having a beer to celebrate, who am I to argue? :D

Leave a comment:

• trdee
    replied
    Yeah its the fronts that need more heat in an adub, makes sense since theyre a backwards AE82 haha.

So yeah the 296mm discs and dixcel type Z pads also got cooked. They lasted longer and didnt die as badly after overheating, but I did cook them nonetheless. You can see how the pad is discoloured and crumbling away at the edges, signs of a pad that has been cooked. The discs dont look ultra happy either. I am going to weld in some 3" inlets into the brake disc backing plates and run ducting all the way into the front lip and force feed the fuckers with air, see how it goes. If that doesnt work then I can either go to full race pads, which will be shit on the street, or 17" wheels and a bigger brake setup. We will see.

Also, I egged 3 out of 4 tyres. The worst was the right rear, which was probably already half dead from Eastern creek since it loads the right rear the most there. I think the car puts too much load through a set of tyres these days for me to buy out of date semis on special anymore... might try a new set of nankang AR1s next. They seem to be decent bang for buck

Slapped the recaros in out of the MA61, they sit at a better height in the adub, but I probably still wont keep them

And finally, I finally got the dealer option "man in dandism" sticker installed hahaha

Leave a comment:

• jasonp1977
    replied
    195/50/15 AR-1's are a fair bit wider than a normal 195, I like them a lot but it takes a fair bit of effort to get heat in the rears in a FWD setup

Leave a comment:

• Justengt4
    replied
    Originally posted by trdee View Post
    Haha yeah I think the 195 wide kumhos are probably not quite suitable anymore. I think I've also egged/delaminated my right rear tyre as the car was pulling hard left under acceleration and hard right under decel. Something I had started noticing at the last session at eastern creek already

Nankang AR1s are available in 225/45 and 245/40/15. Might try and shoehorn some of those in next
    That grey AW11 has used flares to get more tyre...looks pretty good but loses a bit of sleeper cred

Leave a comment:

• trdee
    replied
    Haha yeah I think the 195 wide kumhos are probably not quite suitable anymore. I think I've also egged/delaminated my right rear tyre as the car was pulling hard left under acceleration and hard right under decel. Something I had started noticing at the last session at eastern creek already

Nankang AR1s are available in 225/45 and 245/40/15. Might try and shoehorn some of those in next

Leave a comment:

• GNGBNG
    replied
    Originally posted by Justengt4 View Post
    Tyre tyre and more tyre dude...you have more than enough power for a 1.06
    Looks like that WRX is going by that rule as well.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X