Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brad's UZA80 Supra

Had this thing for a bit over 7 Years now and as various other cars have come and gone it has remained. Thought it was about time I shared it with PF.

Brought it as a completely standard 1993 SZ JZA80.

Spent a way to much money on a bodykits, various wheels and carbon bits over the years.

By mid 2011 I purchased a 1UZ-FE for it and planned to make it look as if it looked factory delivered with cruise control, AC etc as a nice daily.

Before I had even driven it around the block, I decided that the W58 5 speed wouldn't but up for the task and a 1993 RZ was purchased as a donor for its V160, B03B diff and a few other bits and pieces.

Fast forward 2 years later and by mid november 2013 the car was running nicely on the Haltech PS2000. Did a timeattack track day at QR and followed up with a Dyno Day a fortnight later. Made 213rwhp with Rush Headers, CoP and the Haltech on a self tune.

Power and handling was much better than with the 2JZ-GE, but the next step was boost. Brought a set of VNT25 Turbos off a kit in the UK and got stuck into fitting them.

Wasn't really satisfied with the fitment so on-sold the kit and more recently brought a Genuine T04Z for it. By now another 12 months (Nov 2014) have passed and I've only done 400km in it since 2011. I thought I'd reassemble it as naturally aspirated and just drive it around for a while until I could afford to throw more cash at it.

After purchasing a new battery the car would not crank over, turns out one of the belt guides had broken off around the front crank seal and had severely damaged the timing belt. A 100,000 km service was undertaken with new Water Pump, Idlers, Tensioner and Belt while the car was apart.

Reassembled and the car fired ran for 30 seconds before ceasing up. After a lot of confusion it was revealed that it had crank walk when engaging the clutch and the crank had walked far enough forward to lock it it up.

Turns out most of the thrust bearing was now in the bottom of the sump. The crank was nicely scored and it had also spun the #3 main bearing.

Pulled the heads off to find it had also done a head gasket. Makes the 213RWHP Dyno result the last time it was driven quite impressive.

Time to find a new motor.

Current Spec List reads a bit as follows
    Drive Train
    1994 1UZ-FE
    Hydraulic Fan Delete
    Fluidyne Radiator
    Spal Twin Thermo Fans
    Twin Bosch 044's
    Custom Surge Tank and DeatschWerks 300+ LPH Fuel Pump
    -8AN Feed and Return Fuel lines
    Turbosmart FPR 2000
    Haltech PS2000
    Racepak IQ3 Dash
    3.5" Titanium Trust Exhaust
    30 Row Oil Cooler W/ Greddy Remote oil Filter
    RX-7 Series 5 550CC High Impendence Injectors
    2UZ-FE Coil on Plugs
    6spd Getrag V160
    B03B Diff W/ TRD LSD
    Quartermaster 8.50" Twin Plate Clutch
    TTC Adapter Plate
    FZJ80 3/4" Master Clutch Cylinder w/Braided Clutch Line

Handling
    OEM Factory 17" Wheels
    Solid Rear Diff Mounts
    Solid Front Diff Mounts
    Solid Front & Rear Subframe Mounts
    Whiteline Sway Bar Bushes Front & Rear
    TTC Underbody braces
    iMec Front Strut Brace
    RZ Sway Bars

Brakes
    LS400 4 Pot Front Calipers
    RZ 2 Pot Rear Calipers
    Slotted DBA Rotors with A1FM Pads all round
    TRD Braided Brake Lines

Exterior
    Modified Top Secret Front Bar
    Modified Blitz Side Skirts
    Trial Rear Bumper
    Greddy Rear Wing
    Series II Head & Tail Lights
    Shaved Aerial / Rear Wiper / Badges

Interior
    Recaro SR2 Seats in Black Leather & Alcentra
    Cusco 5 Point Rear Cage
    Momo Steering Wheel
    Rear Seat Delete
    '93 6SPD T04Z 1UZ JZA80 Supra
    '93 Auto T04Z JZA80 Supra

Venom Automotive - Billet Components to suit a variety of Automotive Applications including JZ, UZ & RB Engines.

Love it.

Were you the guy that bought the TT kit and only half of it showed up?

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrie View Post
      Love it.

Were you the guy that bought the TT kit and only half of it showed up?
      Yeah, missed a heap of bits as far as dump pipe, air filters. Wastegate was damaged and all the braided lines were fucked.

Venom Automotive - Billet Components to suit a variety of Automotive Applications including JZ, UZ & RB Engines.

Comment

Ouch not much luck here

Clutch/adaptor plate caused the crank walk ?
        Is that the kit from that cowboybebop guy in the States?

Originally posted by Jim
        I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
        Originally posted by elfturbomax
        What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
        1UZ+1NZ...

Comment

love 1uz's so subbing and hoping your luck improves. I've got a mate with a crown (factory 1uz) but it's fairly sedate, might link him to this so he can get a bit more out of the car (pre vvt motor).

Comment

Nice brad, bad luck on the motor.
            Originally posted by thebluerx7
            The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Comment

interested to see where this goes....
              Originally posted by ALLMTR
              the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

Fantastic! Always been a fan of the UZA80 conversion, keen to see where this ends up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
                1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
                1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
                1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
                And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

Comment

Originally posted by Muz is a cunt View Post
                  Ouch not much luck here

Clutch/adaptor plate caused the crank walk ?
                  Is that the kit from that cowboybebop guy in the States?
                  Possibly, pressure plate isn't overly heavy. I don't think its related to the adapter plate which is a cowboybebop (TTC) one, however the clutch was brought separately.

Will put another standard motor in and see if it happens again.

Interesting damage to #7 & #8 Pistons, they are very heavily scored. I'm assuming caused by the crank pushing forward?

Comment

I'm guessing the clutch is a fairly small diameter unit with a lot of clamping force? might be better going for something that's larger diameter that has a leverage advantage for the throw-out bearing and/or adding more thrusts to the crank!
                    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

p.s there is a v8 soarer on here for peanuts up your way might be worth getting for the motor!

Comment

Sold yesterday
                        caprice nugget.

Comment

Originally posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
                          I'm guessing the clutch is a fairly small diameter unit with a lot of clamping force? might be better going for something that's larger diameter that has a leverage advantage for the throw-out bearing and/or adding more thrusts to the crank!
                          Pretty much on the money there, clutch is 8.5 Twin Plate QM".

Comment

for a road car I'd be looking at the largest diameter twin plate organic/carbon you can fit and then look at power goals vs dead thrusts vs required clamping load of clutch

Comment

also got a photo of the clutch now? interested to see where the throw-out bearing is touching on the fingers... could also be a cause of excessive loading if it's pressing half way down the fingers

Comment

Working...
                              X