Yet another PF kent buys a fancy Vee Dub

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So did a sneaky run out to Lakeside this morning for general practice. The organisers were good enough to offer a credit after my first visit when I got black flagged in the first session. Had fitted a new oil pressure sender and given it a good degrease so was keen to know of the oil spray in the engine bay issue was resolved. Has to replicate track stress on the street. Was quite a bit of traffic but managed to lap solidly for the full session right up until the point I was black flagged. Seems my Lakeside special end tips I failed to fit before I left this morning are required to keep the car under the limit. Oil temps were spot on or possibly even too low. Like mid 70ís. Itís almost like the stat is now stuck full open. Quick check of the engine bay and itís bone dry. So happy days. All good for skids and steak. Might just bleed brakes, check wheel bearings and give it a general once over this week.

Comment

So now you ARE driving it steak day?
      This might force me into purchasing a set of safe tyres to tootle about on......

Comment

I will most definitely be driving it to the skids portion of skids and steak 😁. Be good to see the paddock basher out

Comment

So been an interesting day or so. Plan was to get on to this fuel issue. Just once or twice at Lakeside it seemed to lose power like some kind of fuel starvation. Was keen to have it right for this Saturday. So pulled some data from the MoTeC from the last lakeside outing and had a look. Did seem to be a bit of a lean event happening in one or two spots. Sent it to “the beautiful mind”, the guy who wired the car and setup the MoTeC and PDM and has huge experience analyzing data, and while the PDM channel for the pump wasn’t being logged he suggested it might actually be the pdm tripping the fuel pump circuit from pulling too much current due to it being over worked. Was aware the efi pumps like to blow but aren't much chop on the suck.

So fuck it. Tank out and take a good look at it. To get that out the X strut brace needed to come out. While doing that one of the brackets it attached to fixing looked shit. May as well fix that while I am here. Might drill through and do a new nut sert. Drilled a pilot hole while bracket was in place and thought I will come back to that later and thought nothing more of it. Nek minnit, a little pond of oil on the floor near where I drilled the hole. On closer inspection where I drilled through had the oil cooler lines on the other side concealed inside the guard. FFS. Fkn muppet. Whole front bar off (cunt of a job) and off to get some new push lock oil hose. While I was at it, I thought a new 044 wont hurt, along with a 60 micron pre filter. Found the guys at performance warehouse in slacks creek pretty helpful. Was my first trip to Moss st. Car parts central.

Back to the tank. Had it out and there was some slight rust inside. Bit of googling also revealed ze Germans had put an integral swirl pot in it. Nice. They had also put a pre filter hidden behind an innocuous looking drain bung on the bottom. Pulled the bung, and found the problem. Fucking putrid. Hindsight is a beautiful thing. Had I known it even existed, it would be the first place to look. I guess it’s all part of getting to know the car. Cleaned the filter, flushed the tank and blew it out and left it in the sun to dry while I did the road trip for parts.

With skids and steak this Saturday there was motivation to get on top of it. So a pretty solid day yesterday and a morning today and she is all good. Everything back in and up and running. There was a tell tale there which I was just ignoring where the pump did seem to be labouring a bit when priming. It’s now sounds as it should. Will be sure to check in the bung filter more frequently in future. Quick road test to uncle dans to buy some rumbo, and she is all good. Looking forward to Sunday.

Click image for larger version  Name:	y4mMrCeT_4nuUq0tCjml5jmrDgWn1DylUBJ1z771TYem1OczdBK5edb4NrbcJtOBYp0pLYU-Coa572LIsk1ZffTyegNAYI4eDa5_fr5rqwNMaQ27QrmgTwCNjHHu8ko5XOClPo9gCwl0SLgirfH8kpquEIhYKxxsjZndpMlcnK0dLonFgWwjw358t1v2g06Ruvz_UB_4Sz_uh4YOUFsPMYKCA?width=1024&height=768&cropmod Views:	0 Size:	190.8 KB ID:	7071885

Click image for larger version  Name:	y4m-_vPf_zm5BtJOSzF9VsEwyZhWUmvCvPKvx2Hh1sqI0p4eQmGCmrvKVLJfB4l97RmfWGYEj5mqBhBC5-muuTufSuxEFw9zELi0ZlIW2l8CpG0GzBA5hvOg8O4guGNZ5UQ9wvIS4Bm4-skHv3gkNywC5Ew22pu2T72EvnT5dvBkjl0Z7yT-0NWHly1J6zOdqIktvITPSj10ztkyHVaq3WH4g?width=768&height=1024&cropmod Views:	0 Size:	199.2 KB ID:	7071886
          Last edited by darkside; 05-09-19, 03:35 PM.

Comment

You know it's Saturday, not Sunday right??

You've reminded, spose I should check the oil of the homo mobile after being trashed at MP last weekend.
            Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
              You know it's Saturday, not Sunday right??

You've reminded, spose I should check the oil of the homo mobile after being trashed at MP last weekend.
              Yeah, cheers Sam. Definitely locked in for Saturday. Am glad I got on to of it. Hopefully trouble free motoring this Saturday.

Comment

Pain in the ass for sure but totally worth it for the peace of mind mate.
                Mild irrits I wonít be there for a chinwag over a frosty, next time x11ty
                Originally posted by TK
                may 10 thousand malaria carrying mozzies attack their syphillis sores simultaniously whilst their shrivelled genitalia are nibbled by hungry gofers

Comment

Cheers bbits,

so a largely stress free day at the skids and steak day out. Slight shifting issue in the first session where I remembered I hadn’t got out the big spanners onto the shift coupling clamp. Bit of a slip and some mis shifting. Realigned it and leant on it and it held up for the day. Oil temps were on point and fuel starvation is sorted. Experimented with carrying 4th through hungry rather than shifting back to 3rd. Was less busy and carried better speed through hungry. That might have been where I shaved 2 tenths of my last PB. The beers and steak following were on point.

Quick bit of incar.

Comment

So had an afternoon our with the Porsche club at the paperclip. First time running the full paperclip. Is a bit more to it than meets the eye. Got a bit of a surpise at turn 3-4 expecting another hairpin but arrived to find something completely different Gearbox seemed to be behaving itself...or maybe I am finally slowing my shifts and being more patient with it. Had a cracking session chasing a 993 GT2 around. It was lapping over a second a lap faster than me but for some reason the boosts started to escape and he lost power allowing me to enjoy the view a bit longer. I finished up with a 1.18.2. Not sure how that sits as far as lap times there. I dont have any point of reference. The GT2 did low 1.17's. Video below. Best seat in the house for the GT2 show. Was getting more and more if him in my mirrors and was hoping to finish that lap, but ran out of talent in turn 3 so got out of his way and enjoyed the show. Having something to chase definitely adds some spice to a session.

Last edited by darkside; 27-09-19, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Yep you mada nice a pizza there.
                      I reckon there’d be a second a lap difference with a sequential and two more gears.
                      2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                      2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                      I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

1:18.2 is very, very quick, goes to show it has some straight line speed.

Turns 3, 4 and 5 on the full paperclip are heaps of fun.
                        Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Great vid mate. What speed were you hitting at the end of main and back straights?
                          The World's Best Pest Control in Brisbane, at PF mates rates, PM me.

when all else fails, hit it harder.

Comment

Cheers Lads,

Mr Rust, Following the GT2 (he has a 6 speed) I realised how many gears sensibly geared cars use judging by counting the fire balls. A sequential would be the dream, but at approx 40k in the car, it’s going to remain a dream. I am pinning my hopes on Brena Corse doing a dog gear set for the box in it. Then I should be able to set up a dual strain gauge shifter for flat shifting goodness and get better ratios in it.

Cheers Guido. I think you are on it. I probably under rate it’s straight line pace. Maybe it’s time for a run down the strip. Given that’s more of a power track it can’t be too shabby. Ive always thought its corner speed is good, but straight line must also be decent. I did shorten the final drive when I rebuilt the box, but it would be nice to have some closer ratios in it. Although given it’s a pain in the arse to shift well, probably less shifts is better for the time being.

Left one , re speeds, I am on the limiter in 4th on main straight (could probably bump it up a touch for here and lakeside) and have to slot 5th on the back straight. Will have to look at my gear ratio calculator to get speeds. The tacho gets my attention more than the speedo.

Comment

Originally posted by darkside View Post
                              Cheers Lads,

Mr Rust, Following the GT2 (he has a 6 speed) I realised how many gears sensibly geared cars use judging by counting the fire balls. A sequential would be the dream, but at approx 40k in the car, it’s going to remain a dream. I am pinning my hopes on Brena Corse doing a dog gear set for the box in it. Then I should be able to set up a dual strain gauge shifter for flat shifting goodness and get better ratios in it.

Cheers Guido. I think you are on it. I probably under rate it’s straight line pace. Maybe it’s time for a run down the strip. Given that’s more of a power track it can’t be too shabby. Ive always thought its corner speed is good, but straight line must also be decent. I did shorten the final drive when I rebuilt the box, but it would be nice to have some closer ratios in it. Although given it’s a pain in the arse to shift well, probably less shifts is better for the time being.

Left one , re speeds, I am on the limiter in 4th on main straight (could probably bump it up a touch for here and lakeside) and have to slot 5th on the back straight. Will have to look at my gear ratio calculator to get speeds. The tacho gets my attention more than the speedo.
                              possible dumb fuck suggestion
                              given the expense of getting a 5 speed g50
                              and that the same gearbox pattern is retained through to 996 GT3- if considering going to the expense of a G50 would it be viable/more worthwhile to go for the later six speed/use a cup car box (they weren't sequential yet)?
                              https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...for-993-a.html
                              https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...-platform.html
                              Last edited by clutch-monkey; 27-09-19, 10:11 AM.
                              Originally posted by Walt Kowalski
                              Memes are only detectable by NSA.

Comment

Sam,

there are no dumb fuck suggestions. I am open to all ideas. I was looking into the G50 thing but the more I looked into it, it grew arms and legs. First you get the box. Sadly singer has ruined the market and you are prob in for 7500-10k. Probably of unknown origin so may as well pull it to bits and freshen up. Then ideally you shorten the bell housing and the input shaft to make it fit. (I did hear of someone picking one up all prepped ready for a G series, but I think that kind of thing is a unicorn.) Probably still need to do some metal work around the torsion tube. Then its a new shifter, hydraulic clutch. You are right, if I was going to do it, a H pattern cup car box would make more sense and be a proper improvement. And then if you are going to all that trouble, why not go sequential And so the slippery slope begins. All this isn't helped my my current motorsport budget being $0.00. I really need to get a job.

To be fair, I have got the 915 not too far off a synchro box now. It was really well behaved yesterday. I think I am finally slowing down my shifts from my years of flicking JDM synchro boxes through the cogs and I am being more patient with it. It was a hard habit to break. The Brena Corse option has appeal. Will be helical cut gears so no whine so streetable, and dog engagement so flat shifting is possible. Their Evo dog boxes are highly rated. Will give new rations and will be a simple box out, rebuild, box in, add strain gauge shift knob and tweak motec. No new clutch, shifter, body work etc. And keep the light 915. Will be close to a 10k proposition.

Just going to have to persevere with the 915 for now.

EDIT. The internet says I can get a G50 freshed up and ready to bolt in for $12,950.......USD

https://patrickmotorsports.com/produ...on-blueprinted
                                Last edited by darkside; 27-09-19, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X