Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving along nothing to see here

Been mucking around for a while now with my hx Ute with 304/308 bottom ends with hq heads, blow through carb tr3550 gear bag and China special t04z.
    Goes ok with around 11psi crammed up it.

But still won't lay 11s from 3rd gear onwards with out a good clutch kick. Then normally has a hissy fit and decides that clutch smoke is more important then tyre smoke... Has 3.08 ass end gears so is fairly starting to pile on the speed in 3rd and normally fairly well hooked up by then.

Have now decided that it's time for the not so slapped together motor built.
    Run down on motor
    VS 5l block grouted to around halfway up freeze plugs.
    Scat crank and rods.
    Comp ratio of 9.3 on stock chamber vs heads.
    Line honed zero decked bored balanced and honed etc etc. Getting south side engine centre in Perth to do this work.
    Main studs and stud girdle... They recommended it I was prepared to go 4bolt etc but as
    I said it was going to be a 6500rpm max revlimit he was confident that a girdle should suffice.

Heads will be cleaned up vs heads with really basic clean of the valve guides and blending and exhausts ports will get a good clean up.

I have a come racing 4bbl intake manifold and contemplating a hydraulic roller cam. If not similar to the current hyd cam in my hq headed setup. It's around 225@50 with around 550 lift and 114 lsa.
    Not sure yet kind of researching and acquiring parts for a while yet.
    Ie fuel injection setup contemplating haltech but undecided .

Most likely will keep manual gearbag for now but contemplating a t400.

My thoughts are around gt4294r size as new turbo I want it to spool up fairly fast as turbo is under the tray currently and probably will stay there.

Thoughts

Go hydro roller. The lobes won't fall off and for something that only sees 6500 they're perfect. Make good power, don't have to run shit in or stress about oil choice so much. Also check your cam bearing clearance with whatever cam you use. Had dramas there before with losing oil pressure… something free ohs are good at.

I don't think you'd regret going auto with a big turb it should spool quicker and stay on boost while you click gears.

A lot of people seem to be using those Borg Warner s400/475 size things on 350 cube engines and doing well.
    Originally posted by RVK 355
    Hold it flat cunt

Comment

Will follow with interest.

Comment

I sent Dale an message 3 weeks ago about efi for mine.........

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

Comment

My clutch isn't up to the job; which turbo do I need to fix it?

Comment

Originally posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
            Go hydro roller. The lobes won't fall off and for something that only sees 6500 they're perfect. Make good power, don't have to run shit in or stress about oil choice so much. Also check your cam bearing clearance with whatever cam you use. Had dramas there before with losing oil pressure… something free ohs are good at.

I don't think you'd regret going auto with a big turb it should spool quicker and stay on boost while you click gears.

A lot of people seem to be using those Borg Warner s400/475 size things on 350 cube engines and doing well.
            Yep am getting more inclined to go the way of Hyd roller for these reasons was planning to do the 2under cam bearings.
            Also have done the restrict and front bearing cross over to drivers side of the block. Before sending off to machinist. I said that I'll fit the cam bearings myself.
            (have a metal lathe so will build a jig to do so).

Have thought that the bog warmer would work well with auto and conventional placement of turbo.

Being that hot side pipework is fairly long is the larger turbine size of s400 going to be a concern and manual was thinking the ball bearing would work betterer.

Currently the China t04z copy is using a 0.86 turbine and comes on nicely around 2100rpm in 3rd.

Its comes on so smooth it just feels boring.

It's fairly good at staying spooled up during gears shifts and every person I taken for a run comments that they were expecting it to be laggy with pipe work length.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmuz View Post
              My clutch isn't up to the job; which turbo do I need to fix it?
              Standard type pf fix isn't it...

It holds fine if not slipped into next gear got a feeling it's not engaging fast enough. As have crs hyd set up that uses Hg and earlier master and slave.

Will up grade clutch to twin plate at least. Currently only got a dual friction plate and hd pressure plate deal

Comment

Go hyd roller. Go th400. Get a custom cam from a quality source. Keep the diff ratio. Spend big dollars on converter. Buy any 76mm turbo. I personally like girdle option. Smoke tyres ar highway speeds easy.
                Breaking stuff once is ignorance, twice is stupidity, three times is racing

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...chev-LS1-turbo
                http://www.performanceforums.com/for...tchback-torana
                http://performanceforums.com/forums/...ghlight=ari300
                http://performanceforums.com/forums/...Dog-Piston-rx4

Comment

1/2" main studs instead of girdle, girdle doesn't do squat - been there, done that.

Definitely go auto, auto + turbo just works better.

Hyd roller is a no brainer these days - Crow has the Morel lifters dirt cheap, but I'd go with crane for the cam.

Use a good quality exhaust valve - ferrea 6000, manley race master etc.

Use fel-pro race composition head gaskets - MLS just will not blow until after something else lets go, a composition gasket will let go before you hurt anything else, a fuse is a nice thing to have while you're ironing out the bugs.

Comment

Originally posted by TK View Post
                    1/2" main studs instead of girdle, girdle doesn't do squat - been there, done that.
                    Girdles not effective mate? I converted my 308 to 4 bolt and stud kit and wasn't impressed. Still get plenty of crank walk with girdles? I haven't used one but like the theory
                    Breaking stuff once is ignorance, twice is stupidity, three times is racing

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...chev-LS1-turbo
                    http://www.performanceforums.com/for...tchback-torana
                    http://performanceforums.com/forums/...ghlight=ari300
                    http://performanceforums.com/forums/...Dog-Piston-rx4

Comment

Originally posted by Hjtonner View Post
                      I sent Dale an message 3 weeks ago about efi for mine.........

really?? can you resend it?

i have no PM's from you
                      im a cunt
                      and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

Originally posted by TK View Post

Definitely go auto, auto + turbo just works better.

Hyd roller is a no brainer these days - Crow has the Morel lifters dirt cheap, but I'd go with crane for the cam.

Use a good quality exhaust valve - ferrea 6000, manley race master etc.

Use fel-pro race composition head gaskets - MLS just will not blow until after something else lets go, a composition gasket will let go before you hurt anything else, a fuse is a nice thing to have while you're ironing out the bugs.

Gathered you would say along those lines with girdle. Emailed me today saying all my stuff was done (have my eh 179 crank and another 308 crank being ground and balanced plus some rods resized etc on the same invoice).

Yep auto would be nice cant quite convince the nopics yet it needs a gearbox. But might be able to do a kind of do a hand me down into the EH with the 5 speed and do a rebuild t400 for it etc just cant see it happening this side of of the financial year.
                        Just bought a bobcat so kind hoping to pick some cash type jobs with it on the weekends ill see how i go.

Custom grind hyd roller what kind of numbers should it be. Morels there the same as the straub ones from memory and can use the olds pontiac retrofit roller lifters to .
                        I suppose as i mentioned earlier around 225 @50 round 520 lift on 114 lsa should be close enough.
                        Thinking if its got the same kind of manners as the one currently in it ill be happy.
                        Has a Camtech CT 5 533 in 222@50 512 ex 234@50 508 on 114 lsa cant remember the icl but set it up as per card icl.

Ill be doing the heads other then facing off.

Was planning to use composite gasket to start with as you have mentioned.
                        Hoping now i should not need to use the fuse but will use until i get a handle on going to efi tuning. No local tuners that tune anything other then the generic commodore and ford stuff and have not got the greatest rep with there efi tuning abillity.
                        Might be able to get it on the dyno and tweak myself later but there is some bonuses to living in the remote areas

New motor has zero deck hawtness so wont get away with my old trusty reused red motor oem steel shim head gaskets on this motor .

Comment

Originally posted by ott308 View Post
                          Girdles not effective mate? I converted my 308 to 4 bolt and stud kit and wasn't impressed. Still get plenty of crank walk with girdles? I haven't used one but like the theory
                          I read an article where some one actually tested all the different options it turns out bolt on girdles need to be much thicker than most are. The girdles you find on engines like the rb30 work because the caps are part of the girdle.

Comment

Originally posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
                            really?? can you resend it?

i have no PM's from you
                            It was through bookoffaces but I'll send one one here too.

Comment

I get 100 messages a day on there don't take it personally if I didn't write back
                              im a cunt
                              and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

Working...
                              X