Another MX5: The lightyear clone, much less carbon and much more derp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 9triton View Post
    Something something Mx5 something man love.
    hehe easy setup i know.

Originally posted by Do the safety dance. View Post
    Fuckin legend. My Mrs thought it was pretty hilarious having a gift basket with a turbo in it 😄
    thinking about it more i think thats how gift baskets should be done, maybe even a potential business idea.
    www.holditflat.com

Comment

Good to see I'm not the only one that's done next to no track prep for next month lol.
      1975 TX Gemini Coupe - 1991 VN SS - 2017 VF SS Redline Wagon
      YT: https://www.youtube.com/bucketindustries

Comment

alignment specs for posterity

FRONT
        -3.5 Camber
        5 Deg Castor
        0 Toe

REAR
        -2 Camber
        1mm total toe-in
        www.holditflat.com

Comment

and denn?
          Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
          "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Originally posted by doctor ed View Post
            and denn?
            anden track day went great!

Managed a 85 laps and best 1:13 which is what we've done before on old rubber, however racechrono says optimal was 12.5ish.

bit of scratching our heads as to why we weren't faster on new r888's over 2nd hand federals i mean surely it cant be us too timid to hold it flat thru the kink at the end of the straight...... ahem

even so talking to more people i think we should be playing with pressures some more, we aimed for 32 psi but maybe we can drop a smidge more.

They were 28 cold and i went out for about 10 laps to get them warm and also make sure nothing was leaking. I could feel them go a bit and then came in.

they were north of 36 so we dropped them down and checked the engine bay for leaks or any other issue. All seemed happy in there so nathan took it out.

when he came in they were about 35 so we dropped them again and checked the engine bay. Things were looking good in there so we left it, i was so happy to see that when we come into the pits only one thermo would be on with the 2nd one coming on sporadically and only for a few seconds, and then not long after the bonnet goes up both fans turn off. Very happy about how much cooler it is running, i never had temp issues but to know there is so much less pressure on the systems and the oil makes feel more comfortable.

over the next bunch of sessions the track was warming up so we had to keep checking and dropping pressures, it was only after about noon we didnt have to play with them but by that time we were wondering why were werent pipping our time other than not getting a clear track.

the hawk pads were feeling SO much better than the QFM's we used to have, the QFM's would get shitty after about 6 hard laps, so much so i spent $40 on ebay hitemp silicone ducting and was planning on installing it but after a day out on the hawks with ZERO fade im not sure we'll ever need it.

the new tyres feel so good and very easy to control on the edge, nice and progressive break away however i still managed to have a tank slapper. Realistically they are only the second cheapest R-comp tyre so maybe we expected too much from our times. either way the car was a pleasure to drive.

with the new tyres and better pads we did have to change how we were driving, previously down the straight we would hold it in 4th the whole straight and only hit limiter at the kink which meant we could back off and feather it on the limiter, but picking up time at the last turn now we'd be passing start/finish on the limiter, since there seemed to be so much more track left we started shifting into 5th which was making the down shift to 3rd something we'd have to relearn at the end of the straight.

And like i said before we needed to grow some more balls and learn to HIF thru the kink (and up the back of the track as well).

Other than that we are happy to handicap ourselves and passenger with each other cause why not, its an obvious weight penalty but who cares.

On the way home we got to talking about the tune since we noticed the wideband showing 10:1 down the straight and were running only around 6psi boost we think we need to have a fiddle with it.

did some ringing around and I inquired about a retune, some of the info i got out of them seems to show that the equivalent sized turbo would be tuned to about 10psi

so before booking in for a tune i reckon there is room to fiddle with the boost controller and feed some more air into the engine to bump the AFR to something a little nicer.

The oil constantly reeks of fuel so really want to sort that out.

Anyway, still massively happy with the day and how the car went, really wanted to fit another one in before xmas but that aint happening.

Pics shamelessly stolen from facebook (@Tyrie and 5th gear, these are the low res ones but will take them if u want)

www.holditflat.com

Comment

thanks to Dale 10sec rx7 for tuning the car yesterday.

i mentioned it was rich before well Dale's blokes said that it was lean on the bottom end and rich in the top end. The boost controller was not programmed correctly so the solenoid wasnt doing its job of stopping the wastegate creep, they said it would get to 10psi but only up high in the rev range. So they fixed all of that up and i was on my way, i am GAGGING to get out to the track to see how it feels.

apparently did 140kw when it rolled on so im happy with the results, the peak numbers dont matter much to me, I am most excited about how its going to feel with the added boost coming on much earlier.

Thanks again bloke.

www.holditflat.com

Comment

Here is your before and after sorry I didn't get to chat yesterday so much shit going on

im a cunt
                and apparently i dont know shit...

Comment

At cruise and low throttle the mixtures were in the high 16 range.. it picked up a good amount of power at part throttle just bringing them back to 14.7:1
                  im a cunt

Comment

Originally posted by 10sec rx7 View Post
                    Here is your before and after sorry I didn't get to chat yesterday so much shit going on
                    yeah no stress i know you're not there to talk about PF shit, thanks for looking after me, hope it was put together well enough to not give you the shits, im sure you have to deal with some shocking builds.
                    www.holditflat.com

Comment

15%
                      fucking tidy
                      Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
                      "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post

yeah no stress i know you're not there to talk about PF shit, thanks for looking after me, hope it was put together well enough to not give you the shits, im sure you have to deal with some shocking builds.
                        It went perfect which is a nice change
                        im a cunt

Comment

Working...
                        X