Eds Lotus 116 GT3

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks bloody awesome mate, great work!!

Comment

thanks guys. pretty happy with it. Needs a lot of hand finishing to get little defects out, i need to reflow some resin in dry spots, plus might drape another layer of 240 over the top. but ist 95% good, it all lines up, it bolts up like its supposed to, and now it looks like the geomery doesnt suck! win!
      Mit freundlichen Grüße

Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
      "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

Very nice.

What are you using for smoke generation and wind?
        Chris
        ------
        The new nugget
        I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

leaf blower and a football hooligan spec smoke flare

rough as guts, i admit. leaf blower was inserted right at the front of the diffuser, and for all its flaws still clearly demonstrated that the flow stays attached to the diffuser surface. will look again once actually mounted on a moving vehicle, but atleast for now reassuringly no red flags of disaster
          Mit freundlichen Grüße

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

fyi - did some further local reinforcment and another simple Hand laid top layer yesterday... this time with 240gsm twill instead of the 200gsm which id run out of...

holy crap, 240gsm is 11ty better than 200gsm. night and day difference in layup, wetting out, coverage, fabric flow etc. ill never get 200gsm again, so yeah, hot tip, dont fuck about with 200gsm, even if it is a more common and a bit cheaper, get the 240!
            Mit freundlichen Grüße

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
              nice work bud, whats it weigh?
              6.8kg
              5 layers 2x 200cf, 1x 225csm, 1x 200cf, 1x 240cf. Reinforcement patches on stress points

Not super lightweight, but respectable for its size. And it’s tough as fuck.

Mit freundlichen Grüße

Comment

6.8kg is pretty damn good for a piece that size that is going to see road debris hit it.

Nice one.
                Chris
                ------
                The new nugget
                I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

yep, its not worked out too bad at all

but how shit are the last bunch of photos? look ok on my phone, but at work now on the desktop, wow, theyre shit.
                  Mit freundlichen Grüße

Comment

Good shit dude.
                    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Comment

Great work on your first attempt, it's scary and fun.

Not sure if I missed it but did you use a resin roller to push it into the tight spots?

2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)
                      2007 KTM 250 SX

Originally posted by Monza
                      I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Comment

Used small foam rollers. One of the (several) problems was im using an infusion resin, which is really low viscosity (also has the best temp tolerance of all the non post cure resins). Anyway, being really thin, it didn’t really ‚work‘ into corners, kindve flowed in (and back out) by itself. Was a bit hard to control
                        Mit freundlichen Grüße

Comment

Given that its now 'summer,' dare i ask how the gearbox is?
                          Chris
                          ------
                          The new nugget

Comment

so picking back up on the BFW again...

sketched up a modified GOE482 Airfoil

sent the CAD of the airfoil off to a bloke in the UK who makes CNC hot-wired RC model wing cores. had a choice of foams, and went for a middle density open cell. slightly heavier, but as i also wanted to use the female cut parts to prep as moulds, i figured the higher density would work well to sand and finish to a good surface.

maybe a little paranoid, but i had the cores cut with a central hole for a full length spar. as i got the cores cut in 100cm length, it also gave me something reliable and fixed to mount the 2 halves together into one massive solid span.

for the 310mm chord i went with a 40mm dia spar, then spent a while umming and ahhing what i was going to slide in there. a nice 200cm long carbon tube would be nice, but in 40mm are fucking expensive. so went with some 40x1.0mm aluminium tube. relatively light, wayyy cheaper than carbon tube, and little more forgiving. though to be honest once skinned in CF, any benefit of some flexibility of the aluminium is going to amount to about naught.

so yeah, slid the fuckers together (very tight fit over 100cm in both directions is a bitch to do carefully not otherwise fucking the foam cores) and happy days. worked out well.

now i need to sit down and mount the negative parts to some plywood, somehow prep them as a mould, flow coat/release agent them etc. I've had some practice now, this will be the test

Mit freundlichen Grüße

Comment

Originally posted by takai View Post
                              Given that its now 'summer,' dare i ask how the gearbox is?
                              nope

probably should start making a move on it, but got enough other shit going on to rationalise not doing it yet
                              Mit freundlichen Grüße

Comment

first iteration i think will be low-mounted single element. ive got a second chord for a dual element (lower plane dedicated to the diffuser) in case i get excited, but looking at how the single plane sits, and how damn big it really is, i think a single plane will be way more than enough. anyway, something like the pics below. i didnt have my vernier bricks with me, so measurements were only down in multiple of whole bricks for demonstration purposes.

so basically, low mounting the single plane will do a couple of things: it makes less downforce by not sitting up in the free airstream, but also make less drag. the sides (say 20-30% on each side) sit in pretty clear open space and should get a healthy direct airfeed. the middle will be less efficient as a wing in a pure downforce sense, but where it loses there, it gains by being in proximity to the central diffuser outlet, and will hopefully improve diffuser efficiency. so less direct downforce (and also les drag) but hopefully more diffuser action, and more downforce there with minimal drag penalty.

in either case, eyeballing it its pretty overcapitalised on rear downforce at present. so ill get it finished and running like this. meanwhile ill also work on a solid ass front splitter to try and see than i don't underspear straight off corners

and in 3D

Mit freundlichen Grüße

Comment

Working...
                                X