Announcement

Collapse

All new PerformanceForums is here

The long-awaited upgrade and server move is complete.

Whinge about shit HERE.

Looking for Tapatalk functionality? See this thread.
See more
See less

Eds Lotus 116 GT3

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Note to self

Postby Bill in MN Aug 21, 2010 5:50 PM

As luck would have it I have a scale and an 8 and 9" style 32 sitting close by.

The 8x17 is 23.5lb, 9x17 is 25.5lb
    Mit freundlichen Gre

Originally posted by Keith Duckworth
    "I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

But what are the costs/availability of these discs?
      Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Guy just offered me everything pictured, plus calipers for not much (basically $100 corner complete - which is wrecker prices!). Way way less than the AP 4 pot route.

Exactly you point bugging me though... It's is a bit of a unicorn

Edit - won't know till I hold them (if) but there's more than a good chance that standard 308mm vx220 "big brake" rotors are the same thing/spec
        Mit freundlichen Gre

"I think that in a racing engine, the closer it is to disintegrating, in general the better its performance will be "

Comment

In race/track car situations I think it's better to spend a little more initially on a set up that is cheaper/easier to maintain. Because if something is going to fail/need replacement, guaranteed you will find out the day before a meet.
          Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

one of the big consumables on a track car is discs and pads so yeah you wanna make sure those are cheap and available
            1988 AW11 9A-GTE - project #1 | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - project #2

Originally posted by Walt Kowalski talking like a crazed hobo
            The major arrests will start from 1st January 2019.

Comment

good point.

i should stop looking at unicorn faeces
              Mit freundlichen Gre

Comment

Decent discs for these cars are not cheap.

I was going to fit bigger callipers and discs to my Elise but in thousands of track miles I've never run out of brakes and that includes sessions of over 30 minutes. Good pads (Pagid), decent, slotted (not drilled) 2-piece discs (AP), good fluid (changed regularly) and braided lines are usually all you need.

Power assisted brakes on the early Toyota-powered Elises and Exiges felt crap with too much pedal travel. Hopefully your car is too early for that.
                If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Comment

cad up some hats and find some generic rotors - sell to other unicorn owners
                  Originally posted by ALLMTR
                  the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Comment

Something r35 about this:

Mit freundlichen Gre

Comment

Ps... Fuck you fiberglass splinters
                      Mit freundlichen Gre

Comment

Originally posted by doctor ed View Post
                        Something r35 about this:

I like the stormtrooper look.
                        Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, Porsche 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a few others.

Comment

The Exige spoiler really looks good on that car.
                          If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Comment

Those 308mm discs pictured above really struggled on the front of mine at Mallala. Also it's fairly widely regarded that the AP 4 pots are a shitty el-cheapo caliper. The boots burn up in no time with track use and the seals fail. Elise-Parts sell a higher temp boot/seal package which would be the way to go if going that route.

I fitted 2 piece performance friction on the front of mine which were a lot better but cost me about $700 per rotor/hat. Could probably source them cheaper directly from the UK

Comment

Im going to just set it up firstly with the 308's and the stock 2piston APs on a 10mm spacer at the front. ill throw in some decent pads and just see how it performs.

On the back, Ive pretty much figured out the Tesla uses a modified/custom Suspension upright with modified caliper Mounts. It uses the stock rear Lotus caliper but places it out 10mm for use with the same 308mm rotor as the front. lucky find, so im getting me a set of those uprights, and we'll see how it all goes.

so yeah, esentially stock calipers with some decent pads, running 308 front and back.

we'll see how it goes before pouring Money into the 4pot AP or whatever.
                              Mit freundlichen Gre

Comment

Yep the 2 pots with good pads, lines and fluid is definitely the way to go if you already have them. It will stop good with the 308s front and rear too. Not sure what master you are using but the Toyota lotus setup was biased quite heavily fowards so having the larger rear rotor and caliper should help you there.

Comment

Working...
                                X