No announcement yet.

A Pagoda. Not for the garden.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

na this was a 1957 - see number plates . -and i also peeked t the ID pate in the engine bay.

fark $320K!!!
    Last edited by 9triton; 04-07-21, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by McMulla View Post

There was a design fault with the original Solex's. They would crack at the flange and were very temperamental. Most owners switched to Webers very early on. More reliable and the car performed better.

thanks -was guessing that webers werent very German factory fitment

Comment

To me the 190SL's just don't look right/
        "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
        (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
        Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Comment

Originally posted by itsnotagsr View Post
          To me the 190SL's just don't look right/
          They're always overshadowed by the 300SL but they're a good looking and sounding car in person and would've turned heads in the 50s.

A few people are putting big prices on the exceptional cars, and the local RHD cars are always going to be limited in number and expensive for what they are. But in LHD markets you have plenty of choice for under US$100k: https://bringatrailer.com/mercedes-benz/190sl/?q=190sl

Interestingly, there's a Pagoda with triple webers that's been languishing on Carsales for a while. I'd love to know how it drives though they don't seem to be helping the market interest in the thing -

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-6765676

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

230SL 'Pagoda' | 911 SC Targa | FC RX-7 Infini

Comment

it's manual too which i thought someone would snap it up
            it does look a lot like an unfinished project though, but maybe it has just been sitting for a while

i've always loved 190SL's they're a bit out of the price range how though - weird to think a 190SL R went for $100k AUD less than that red 190SL above in 2015 at Bonhams
            Click image for larger version

Name:	9174285-2-19.jpg&width=640&height=480&autosizefit=1.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	7268016

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_126079.jpg Views:	5 Size:	472.8 KB ID:	7268103 Old man has had a 190sl since new. It has crossed the Nullabor, raced at Warwick Farm, clerk of the course car at Oran Park and used to pick me up from school. Biased opinion but... they are a beautiful car and so graceful on the road.

Values have climbed significantly, not many under 250k now and some changing hands in the high 300k mark apparently. Above pic is from 1960, the week he got it.

He was telling me he started it today and it was pissing petrol out of the webers onto the exhaust manifold. Yeah.... Dad maybe you should attend to that.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_126079.jpg Views:	5 Size:	472.8 KB ID:	7268103 Old man has had a 190sl since new. It has crossed the Nullabor, raced at Warwick Farm, clerk of the course car at Oran Park and used to pick me up from school.
                Wow, that's awesome. What sort of category was it in at Warwick Farm?

Comment

Click image for larger version Name:	image_126079.jpg Views:	5 Size:	472.8 KB ID:	7268103 Old man has had a 190sl since new. It has crossed the Nullabor, raced at Warwick Farm, clerk of the course car at Oran Park and used to pick me up from school. Biased opinion but... they are a beautiful car and so graceful on the road.

Values have climbed significantly, not many under 250k now and some changing hands in the high 300k mark apparently. Above pic is from 1960, the week he got it.

He was telling me he started it today and it was pissing petrol out of the webers onto the exhaust manifold. Yeah.... Dad maybe you should attend to that.
                  Wow. Awesome story. Solid effort keeping it til now too.
                  "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

(TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"

Comment

Originally posted by [CatchMe] View Post
                    Wow, that's awesome. What sort of category was it in at Warwick Farm?
                    Some sort of Sportscar race. He came last and spun at least twice from what I have been told by his mates (not him). It wouldn't be a nice car to drive at speed.

Comment

Yeah pretty good to keep it since new . I bet these weren't cheap either ~ probably buy 4 EK Holden's for one of these at the time.

Does your dad remember what it cost? Would have been in £.

For comparison a 1960 falcon cost £1100
                      Last edited by 9triton; 06-07-21, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 9triton View Post
                        Yeah pretty good to keep it since new . I bet these weren't cheap either ~ probably buy 4 EK Holden's for one of these at the time.

For comparison a 1960 falcon cost £1100
                        Yeah he would have been baller as fuck.

(TM - AVENGE)

Comment

Seriously gorgeous car.

Originally posted by [CatchMe] View Post
                          Interestingly, there's a Pagoda with triple webers that's been languishing on Carsales for a while. I'd love to know how it drives though they don't seem to be helping the market interest in the thing -

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...SSE-AD-6765676
                          They're Dellortos not Webers.
                          Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Originally posted by 9triton View Post
                            £3250 Australian pounds. He got it as a Christmas present when he was 19 as his Dad made some money off an investment. Far from a rich family though, lived in Bexley North in a standard home. Pop was a bit of an odd man from my recollection.

(apologies to [CatchMe] for the some what off topic thread hijack]

Comment

Not a worry at all, sounds like your pop was a character!

Comment

£3250 Australian pounds. He got it as a Christmas present when he was 19 as his Dad made some money off an investment. Far from a rich family though, lived in Bexley North in a standard home. Pop was a bit of an odd man from my recollection.

(apologies to [CatchMe] for the some what off topic thread hijack]
                                Unreal story. Maybe your Pop had a few BTC and sold them.

Comment

Working...
                                X