Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not another fucking MX-5, what is this faggotry?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not another fucking MX-5, what is this faggotry?

So I managed to move on the wooshodore to GAZ-914 and got rid of my AE82 stuff, including the 4age silvertop to MZ-21.

I've been looking at MX-5s for a while and had pretty much decided I was going to get a NB8B, and looked at a couple in Canberra which were crap. I also passed on capt slows NB8A cos I wanted an 8B and I was going have more to spend than I wanted to get it to where I would be happy in terms of mods.

Overall the criteria were- street rego'd, air conditioning, manual, not red or that horrid ice blue or gold, NB8B preferred, less than 160,000 km, with no significant body damage. If stock it had to be cheap enough that I could throw a roll bar, race seat, some MCA purples (or reds), and an exhaust on it and still be under 10 K ish . Then a hardtop and a turbo will follow later.

So I ended up with a Grace Green NB8A- but it's got Ohlins DFVs, a brown davis roll bar, with FIA padding and CAMS paperwork (logbooking it just got easier!) , a Marrad LX1 fixed back seat, braided lines, decent pads, HD clutch and radiator, a set of Konig Litespeeds (6.1 kg each) with really new Michelin PS3s , MX5 mania intake. Custom stainless exhaust, with hi-tech dual outlet rear muffler, and an 18 inch resonator.

Massive thanks to Uncle for checking it out for me.

Last Sunday I drove to Sydney, dropped of the Wooshodore to Gaz, had lunch with Gaz and co at the pub, where I lost my credit card somehow, drove to Newcastle, picked up the MX-5, drove to Uncles place, watched some of the Fjuan, and then drove home. 950 km, 15 hours round trip - including a solid 4 hours of not driving, which is not too bad, considering it pissed down from the central coast to newie, and I spent an hour in a traffic jam on the F3 at Warnervale. Colorado returned something like 11 l/100 km for the round trip.

The good- it's pretty tidy, and after driving it 60 km in the hills today it really does meet my needs, and I have cash left of the initial spend left for a hardtop or LSD straight up. I have the full service & modification history for at least the last decade- in a folder in writing from the last 2 owners- every oil change, purchase, mod etc etc.. etc.

The bad- the paint has cracked on the lip of drivers side rear arch where the guard was lipped and flared - needs resolving to prevent rust but no biggie- almost unnoticeable. A couple of paint cracks on the rear bar- no biggie at all- not going to worry about that. One of the clips of the side repeater is broken so it doesn't sit flush- oh noes...

I have already ordered a set of mazdaspeed engine mounts, proper side mount # front plate bracket, some clear side markers, delrin door bushes (to help with rattles, not improve stiffness), and a stubby aerial, and a battery triangle sticker etc.

What is clear from driving it is that it sounds really good at 4-7000 rpm, but can be a bit droney and overly loud at low rpm, high load. The ohlins need to be softened a click or two for Canberra roads at normal speed, but work fantastic where they are at high speed I was pleasantly surprised at the top end speed this morning on a pretty flat bit of road.

I'm also sooo not used to something that turns in anymore, or something that is as tactile, and can be balanced nicely. It does need a proper LSD though- while it has plenty of grip, when you do get it sideways it does the whole light up one side, then grip, then not, so it feels kinda snappy, which is not confidence inspiring.

The only thing about the drive this morning was I forgot to pick up my in car video camera, and mount it to the car before I left.. . Might install it in the car tonight

A clutch pack LSD (cusco RS 1.5 way, KAAZ, OS giken) and a 4.3 diff ratio are definitely the 1st mods, then lightyear carbon hardtop or fastback when he makes some more, and then probably off to NitroDann for a solid 180 rwkw turbo setup sometime in 2017.
    Attached Files

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Nice buy!
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Very nice! I may just get one of these if I get impatient saving up for my clubman! Cool colour and agree with the ice blue and gold sentiment, fuck those colours. Every car in the world needs an LSD compulsory I reckon.
      ----------------------------------------
      1965 Valiant AP6 Regal Safari 318, 1977 Chrysler Charger 265 - SOLD
      Web design and development on the South Coast of NSW - PF discounts, pm me

Comment

Solid plans!

Is the hardtop an asthetic, weight &/or stiffness based decision?

Comment

Nice, lets discuss in detail over a champagne or spritzer next time your in QLD xoxoxo
          www.prerunner.com.au
          - Facebook
          - Instagram

Comment

Nice buy. I've begun looking for something similar, but considering something boosted as well
            2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
            2004 MX5 SE Turbo
            2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

Horay! Nice buy.
              Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

Comment

Originally posted by 50RTD View Post
                Nice, lets discuss in detail over a champagne or spritzer next time your in QLD xoxoxo
                I think I owe you a spritzer or 5 after last time No QLD trips booked in as yet... I will be in touch though.

Originally posted by crack View Post
                Solid plans!

Is the hardtop an aesthetic, weight &/or stiffness based decision?
                It's a 'I really give no farks for convertibles' decision- I'd like MX-5's more if they were proper roofed coupes. I really want a lightyear fastback to be honest

Originally posted by gti6 View Post
                Very nice! I may just get one of these if I get impatient saving up for my clubman! Cool colour and agree with the ice blue and gold sentiment, fuck those colours. Every car in the world needs an LSD compulsory I reckon.
                Do it oh yeah LSD is a must.

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                Nice buy!
                ta It's no sports sedan, but..

Originally posted by Lobster View Post
                Horay! Nice buy.
                thanks Mr Lobster. See you next Saturday for a beer etc dude

Originally posted by TCR View Post
                Nice buy. I've begun looking for something similar, but considering something boosted as well
                yeah boosted would be grouse. that turbo'd NB that came up on mx5 car talk last week would be my go to car now I think.

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake

Comment

nice one rowdy. Lots of good bits on that one.

Originally posted by crack View Post
                  Is the hardtop an asthetic, weight &/or stiffness based decision?
                  i was suprised by how heavy the soft top is when i removed mine, cant say for sure but it felt like the frame+glass+gubbins is heavier than a hard top.

the way the hard top mounts (even with hard mount kit) i doubt it improves stiffness, top or no top i have not experienced any scuttle shake when driving which is good however the car still flexes up my weird driveway.

EDIT1: jesse streeter for the diff (PM me i think i can dig up quotes i got for the cusco and giken)

EDIT2: boost is better
                  www.holditflat.com

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post

the way the hard top mounts (even with hard mount kit) i doubt it improves stiffness, top or no top i have not experienced any scuttle shake when driving which is good however the car still flexes up my weird driveway.

EDIT1: jesse streeter for the diff (PM me i think i can dig up quotes i got for the cusco and giken)

EDIT2: boost is better
                    PM sent.

Scuttle shake is definitely a thing on mine- and the Capts NB8A.

Comment

Originally posted by schnitzelburger View Post
                      nice one rowdy. Lots of good bits on that one.

i was suprised by how heavy the soft top is when i removed mine, cant say for sure but it felt like the frame+glass+gubbins is heavier than a hard top.

r
                      Awesome Rowdy! Looks like a really nice car! (albeit slow )

I'm fairly sure i weighed my soft top when i removed it and it was around 17kgs. My lightyear carbon roof including fasteners and brackets comes in at 6.5kg..
                      '10 Forester Diesel 6Spd - Slow and sensible
                      '93 SWB Pajero - Slow but scary
                      '89 MX5 B6-T - Scary not slow

Comment

Faggotry indeed. You and Buzz can hold hands while doing each others hair.

Probably doesn't even skid.

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...ays-ACT/page14

You know what needs to happen :D

(ps looks like a neat pic up)
                        BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post
                          yeah boosted would be grouse. that turbo'd NB that came up on mx5 car talk last week would be my go to car now I think.
                          The blue 10AE?
                          2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
                          2004 MX5 SE Turbo
                          2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

Comment

Excellent, excellent. Mods look well chosen.

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post
                            Scuttle shake is definitely a thing on mine- and the Capts NB8A.
                            Indeed. And agree that they would benefit from an LSD.

I've got some leftover L'Oreal products that I no longer need, yours if you want them.

Comment

Originally posted by TCR View Post
                              The blue 10AE?
                              Yup.

Originally posted by rorge View Post
                              Awesome Rowdy! Looks like a really nice car! (albeit slow )

yeah, well in the long term I'll be as faster than yours was the day I broke it...

I'm fairly sure i weighed my soft top when i removed it and it was around 17kgs. My lightyear carbon roof including fasteners and brackets comes in at 6.5kg..
                              yup, handy weight saving there.

Originally posted by Captain_Slow View Post
                              Excellent, excellent. Mods look well chosen.

Indeed. And agree that they would benefit from an LSD.

I've got some leftover L'Oreal products that I no longer need, yours if you want them.
                              yeah I think they are- I figure if you're prepared to spend nearly 3 K on coilovers, and 800 bucks on importing a seat, then you're not messing around..

Comment

Working...
                              X