Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not another fucking MX-5, what is this faggotry?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Guido View Post
    That's exactly why I bought the MX5. They'll never be the quickest car at the track but you can abuse the crap out of it and it keeps coming back for more. If you hit a wall it's not going to be a massive bill, nor would you be upset about destroying a rare car.

A mate has an E36 M3 for sale, I'd love to tick that box, but I can't justify setting fire to $30k by tracking one hard. And while it'd be much quicker, it'd be harder on the consumables and I doubt any extra fun has would be outweighed by the extra expense.
    Exactly.... but I need to tick the Cayman box... and the window is kinda now $$/nopics permission wise... otherwise it'll be 50 K towards a house down the coast (which is no bad thing, but ….)

Jim helpfully suggested a few weeks back that I keep the MX-5 and buy the Cayman, but I think that'll be a tough one to sell to the nopics… back to 4 cars...

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

Comment

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post

the appeal of an 86 to me is exclusively the roof, as it opens up tarmac S1 rallysprints without needing a full cage which is extra expense in an mx-5 & reduces usability for silly weekend shenanigans They are also just that little bit quicker in a straight line...
      Yeah, that is true. But an extra 100hp from a snail is a far faster and easier option on the MX5.
      Chris
      ------
      The new nugget
      I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Comment

1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake

Comment

Inside front on the ground, not pushing hard enough
          Imagination is more important than knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Wilson View Post
            Inside front on the ground, not pushing hard enough
            True that! Will try harder next time!

Comment

The value of the mx5 is probably low enough to be a rounding error on a cayman purchase lol
              park it under a cover for track day duties!
              Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
              my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

Originally posted by Jim View Post
                The value of the mx5 is probably low enough to be a rounding error on a cayman purchase lol
                park it under a cover for track day duties!
                LMAO.... yeah I'm coming around to that, just gotta get nopics on board...

I might do another track day and make it a bit rougher around the edges so it's not worth selling..:p

Comment

Repairing my mx5 cost the same as a set of tyres on the sports sedan. Oh, and if I was trying to keep times up on the sports sedan I’d have been onto my 3rd set of tyres through this many track by now.
                  Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Comment

Originally posted by rowdytoot View Post

LMAO.... yeah I'm coming around to that, just gotta get nopics on board...

I might do another track day and make it a bit rougher around the edges so it's not worth selling..:p
                    Tell her the mx5 is half the cost of the insurance excess for the cayman lol

then buy her something for the house/horse/whatever she loves as a hobby! Also, discussing it over dinner at a posh restaurant helps
                    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Originally posted by seedyrom
                    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Comment

I think a track day that's going on at the end of the month.

I can still fit you in
                      BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe - Atlas SS

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Comment

So fitted new hubs this weekend. There was no grease left in the hubs at all, so probably my fault for not checking.

Pulled the 'were new' AR-1s off and replaced with street wheels and tyres.... One massive to the canvas flat spot on the left front, the other three are already at the wear indicators but have worn pretty evenly.. I guess 119 laps will don't that. Guess there is another 60 laps in those three, will get another 2.

The front left has always been a bit 'pinchy' and prone to locking, even well the slides are well lubricated anf everything is well bled.

Also slighlty fucked up, removed a caliper to replace a frozen bleed nipple (heat required) and putting the caliper back on sheared the banjo bolt off in the caliper. The fucked wouldn't come out, so drilled it out and in doing so ended up off centre and fucked the caliper..

Replacement caliper now being sourced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0019.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	7.97 MB
ID:	7083938

Comment

Holy shit! I’ve done fuck loads more laps than that and reckon I have another full day or two in the ar1s. What pressures were you running?

My Italian 510

Comment

32 hot

Comment

119 laps during the day including one stint of 42 laps in a row, and a couple of others at 20 +
                              That'd do it, worth it though Did you drive all the there on them as well?

Comment

I did 82 laps in one day on a very high average speed track. Though yeah, 42 laps in one session probably would have taken a bit out of them!!!

My Italian 510

Comment

Working...
                                X