• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mad_cow
    replied
    Originally posted by Jim View Post
    Have you fitted the power steering pump
    yet? It’s been like two hours!
    I fitted it to the garage bench. Was a easy install took about 2 minutes.

Leave a comment:

• Jim
    replied
    Have you fitted the power steering pump
    yet? It’s been like two hours!

Leave a comment:

• maddy
    replied
    yeah great progress! shouldnt be long now to getting it out. True there are alot of parts available around - NOS and repro as well.

Leave a comment:

• gmr
    replied
    Coming together mate looks great

Leave a comment:

• mad_cow
    replied
    Lets have a bit of an update.

Got the sway bar fitted after some fun.

Left is the OEM Mounting. Right is one of the mounts which came with the Re-amemiya unit. I only got 1 with the bar, these parts are so long out of production I couldn't find any replacement bushes anywhere. There was also a single end link which is longer than the OEM which came with it, it doesn't look like an item which came in the kit, so i just used the OEM links.

At this point I had idea why there is such big mounting distance. So I got some Whiteline mounts with a 30mm bush.

Went to fit them up turns out the bigger unit needs to sit a bit lower else it hits on the lower radiator outlet. Awesome. Of course it was going to be something like that.

Found some aluminium pieces which is the perfect side to space out the mount from the rail. fitted perfect. On it went!

Got the alternator bolted up and got the pully hole milled out to 17mm to fit.

Put it on then realised I needed a small spacer to make it fit. Thought ill get one online somewhere for a few bucks but couldn't find anything reasonable. Went out to dig around in one of the many buckets of bolts and found pretty much exactly what I needed. WIN!

bigger and darker one is the one I found. the clean one is the new one, chucked the new one back into the bucket for the next time I need a spacer. 1 out 1 in.

Waiting for parts I got a bit bored decided to see if the sunroof works. I have never seen this car running let alone powered up, so trying stuff like this is cool to see.

With a push it opened up, might have to grease it up a little, it was real slow to open and close, could also be the tiny battery hooked up. Don't worry about the rust in the roof (all fcs have it) I have a something to sort it.

Chucked the bonnet back on. Not like I need the light that comes in from not having it off anyway.

Fitted up the spoiler, after many hours I managed to get it straight and centred, being hand made the things like the mounting screws in the spoiler are not quite equal distance apart, managed to work all this one before making any hold. So good to get right the first time.

Still waiting for more parts I figured now is a good time to put the 1/4s back on too.

Got some OEM interior parts. There is so much still available for these cars. I am so surprised what I can find new. I don't know why people bother getting used parts when new is still around. There is some air vents and stuff which I have not fitted yet.

Shaping up to look like an awesome little car!
    Last edited by mad_cow; 08-09-21, 04:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mad_cow
    replied
    Originally posted by Slides View Post
    Hollow tube? Might need to chuck one in the back too.
    I suspect it is. Seems to be about the save weight or slightly lighter than the oem unit

Leave a comment:

• Slides
    replied
    Hollow tube? Might need to chuck one in the back too.

Leave a comment:

• mad_cow
    replied
    Another surprise came along picked up a 30mm Re-Amemiya front sway bar. Seems unusually thick most appear to be 27mm. I hope it doesn't make the car understeer too much! Can always go back.

Stock vs Re-amemiya

Leave a comment:

• mad_cow
    replied
    Lovin' this lockdown stuff, getting so much done!! After the fuel tank clean, I came to find out the S5 has a larger fuel tank. If I had known this before I would have cleaned the S5 tank and fitted that. *sigh*

Yesterday I got some exhausting stuff done. Fitted up all the OEM heat shields, I dont understand why people remove them and bin them?

A very old OEM front pipe and cat fitted - Should do the job to start with. Made me think of a cobra as I was pushing it under the car.

Fitted up the rest of the exhaust

Surprised it all worked out as well as it did with the exhaust the front pipe was off the silver car. The rear section was off some random locally I found on fb market place. Also did some other small random bits and pieces yesterday, hooked up a heater hose, oil return for turbo, and a water pipe for the turbo.

Leave a comment:

• mad_cow
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
    Ah ok, I saw the green tinge to it and presumed it was corn juice.

The 98 over here that I get has a blue tinge to it from memory, but I believe that each fuel company adds a different colour dye to the base fuel stock to differentiate it?

I hear you about not wanting to run E85 in it, Im on the fence too with my street car.track toy, but I think that unless you are driving it at least weekly, the hassle is too much for me to want to deal with.

What electric steering rack is an easy fit for the FC?
    Unless it was mixed with some ethanol at some point. has been trick which has been going for a long time.

the Astra ones fit on the passenger side in front of the wheel. I dont think I will run a big front mount cooler so I shouldn't need the space for pipes.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ree
    replied
    Ah ok, I saw the green tinge to it and presumed it was corn juice.

The 98 over here that I get has a blue tinge to it from memory, but I believe that each fuel company adds a different colour dye to the base fuel stock to differentiate it?

I hear you about not wanting to run E85 in it, Im on the fence too with my street car.track toy, but I think that unless you are driving it at least weekly, the hassle is too much for me to want to deal with.

What electric steering rack is an easy fit for the FC?

Leave a comment:

• mad_cow
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr Ree View Post
    Nice progress

What fuel was in the tank? Ethanol? Good idea dropping it out and cleaning it properly though...are you putting a new filter in too?
    fuel was straight 98, the last time this thing was on the road E85 wasn't very easy to get or not even available, everyone running C16 from the barrel in those days. I am thinking maybe I wont run E85 on this car. it is a bit nasty.

Yep got a new fuel filter. The whole car is basically get any wear and tear items replaced/upgraded on it, anything damaged or looks too badly worn is getting replaced. If the power steering pump gives up I will go to electric steering.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Ree
    replied
    Nice progress

What fuel was in the tank? Ethanol? Good idea dropping it out and cleaning it properly though...are you putting a new filter in too?

Leave a comment:

• mad_cow
    replied
    So even after flushing and flushing and leaving it sit, it still didn't clear it out enough for me to be happy, so I ended up dropping the tank and properly cleaning it out. It was easy enough to drop the tank. I also changed the fuel hose that goes from the pump to the body, flushed out some old fuel which were sitting in the fuel lines. Put the fuel pump in which was nice and easy with the tank out and fitted it all back in. Job done.

Amongst this tank fiasco I managed to fit the turbo. I was waiting on some OEM heat shields, they finally arrived. So it now turbo 13b again.

Coming up next:
    Alternator
    Relays for fuel pump and thermo fan
    interior parts
    radiator

Leave a comment:

• mad_cow
    replied
    Looks like the wiring so far has been good. No fires or blown fuses.

The little battery providing what it can:

Tail lights all wired, and working. the JDM rear looks awesome.

Fuel pump arrived Got it fitted up with minimal issues.

The tank was relatively clear besides some buildup of jelly like stuff. Flushed it out a few times with methylated sprits.

After letting it sit this is what was on the bottom.

Plus this is what was still suspended.

Last edited by mad_cow; 14-08-21, 08:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X